BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Relay, is a kind of sports where each team member needs to contribute so the run can be completed. Relay baton is handover to another person so he can continue with holding the baton and run.

The game rule is like this:

For each round, when I put on a word, the game starts. You should change only 1 letter from the word to make the word to another meaningful word. And then you change another letter again to for it another word. If you meet to the dead end and up to no choice, then you can change 2 letters and by then you will need to deduct 1 point. If you change 3 letters then 2 points will be deducted from your score, and so on. Until you make a full series of 20 words, like this:

Start: ice

Ace (change ‘i’ to ‘a’)

Act (change ‘e’ to ‘t’)

Ant

And

Aid

Hid

Hit

.... until you got 20. By then, you will get 20 points.

In case at the ‘hit’ you can’t make any more single-letter change (I know, I know we can use ‘hat’ but just assume you can’t, ok?), you have to change 2 letters so you decide to change from ‘hit’ to ‘cat’. You are changing ‘h’ and ‘I’ to ‘c’ and ‘a’, so you minus 1 points.

Sounds easy? Well here is the challenge:

Before every round start, every player needs to submit me 4 words according to my instruction (eg. 4 letters, 5 letters etc)

And those become the trap along the relay!

Anyone hit 1 trap, will lose 1 point, and transferred the points to the player who set the word.

For example,

hit

cat <- (change 2 letter, so lose 1 point)

Fat <- (dang! player B set this as the trap, so you lose 1 points and B gain 1 point)

Fan

At the end of each round. I will list down everyone’s answer, boldfaced where you hit the traps and calculate your score (How many you score due to complete to 20? How many score you loose because you change more than 1 letter at a time? How many score do you lose because of hit the traps? How many score do you gain for people steps on your traps? etc).

Method of Winning

Method 1 - Elimination

The lowest group will be eliminated.

How many been eliminated? Let’s depend on the number of participants:

Let’s say:

If 16 and above, each round eliminate 5

If 11 – 15, then each round eliminate 4

If left 7 – 10, then each round eliminate 3

If left 4-6, then each round eliminate 2

If left 3, then eliminate 1

Final round….still thinking of the method, maybe is let those who are eliminated one set the traps. Who ever hit the trap least will win!

Method 2 – Let's play together

Or, if you don’t wish to have the elimination system (Mafia’s way) then we just do it cumulative way.

Which mean no matter how many participants we have, all go through the same number of rounds. Add up all the point gain from each round, to see who is the winner! By this, everyone has the same chance to play all the rounds :D

Host: woon (from the previous response)

1. andromeda

2. limeliam

3. CL

4. ST

5. Impervious

6. Kat

7. Kay

10. ……

The method and rules still can be changed. We can discuss. :)

I think that the elimination system is better because if we play, I don't know how many rounds, and we will have to wait every time until everyone PMs, we will play this game till April!

I think it's more dramatic that way ;)

Or maybe we should try couple of rounds where no one gets kicked out to see how it works.

About the trap system... I think we should just see how it goes :) and then decide what to do.

I think that the elimination system is better because if we play, I don't know how many rounds, and we will have to wait every time until everyone PMs, we will play this game till April!

I agree. Didn't the last game take over a month or something? :o

Edit: Deleted some quoted stuff.

Edited by Kay

Host: woon (from the previous response)

1. andromeda

2. limeliam

3. CL

4. ST

5. Impervious

6. Kat

7. Kay

8. Crazypainter

9. RainThinker

10. GC

11. Clozo

EDIT : GC joined

Edited by clozobozo

Or maybe we should try couple of rounds where no one gets kicked out to see how it works.

About the trap system... I think we should just see how it goes :) and then decide what to do.

Hmm, maybe we can have 1 primilary round to test first. And maybe the trap system should make it lose 2 points instead of 1. <_<

I agree. Didn't the last game take over a month or something? :o

Edit: Deleted some quoted stuff.

It took that long because there were the EDC round which take averagly another 1.5 days each round.

As for this game, there is no EDC. I don't think it will be taking that long.

So maybe we will wait for 36 hours before we close each round?

It took that long because there were the EDC round which take averagly another 1.5 days each round.

As for this game, there is no EDC. I don't think it will be taking that long.

So maybe we will wait for 36 hours before we close each round?

Sounds fair.

When do we start this game?? I'm impatient! :D

When someone shout: OK for sign up. Let's start! :D

Well, we still haven't finalized some of the ruless, such as

1) Method 1 or method 2? By looking at some of the response, it sound like people prefer method 1, which is elimination.

Hence, I propose, we will have 1 round without elimination as the warm up. Then the second round is where the elimination rules start.

2) The Trap system... should I minus 1 points per hit or 2 points per hit?

3) Beside trap, do you prefer to have bonus word? which mean I will pick one word as the bonus, who had answer the bonus word in his/her list of 20, will gain 5 points?

My brain is working actively now....... ;)

When someone shout: OK for sign up. Let's start! :D

Well, we still haven't finalized some of the ruless, such as

1) Method 1 or method 2? By looking at some of the response, it sound like people prefer method 1, which is elimination.

Hence, I propose, we will have 1 round without elimination as the warm up. Then the second round is where the elimination rules start.

2) The Trap system... should I minus 1 points per hit or 2 points per hit?

3) Beside trap, do you prefer to have bonus word? which mean I will pick one word as the bonus, who had answer the bonus word in his/her list of 20, will gain 5 points?

My brain is working actively now....... ;)

The bonus word is cool too ;) but this is my problem - in the end this game will more be based on luck that knowledge and logic.

In "The Oddest Out" even if we used the dictionary we still had to think in order to choose the most common word... here again we, I assume, can use a dictionary but the outcome will only depend on pure luck, whether we hit the trap or the bonus word!

I still don't know how this game will work so I can't give you any final conclusions, but judging the rules and everything it seams to me like it depends entirely on luck.

I suggest that maybe we should set traps but only at certain positions for example

1. hat

2. hit

3. hot

4. rot

5. rat

etc

And then we only set a TRAP on position 3. to be HOT but if you choose HOT on any other position you don't lose any points!

I think that this is better because if you choose HOT to be the trap word for the entire line most of the people will fall into that one. Or you choose a TRAP only for position 2. 4. 6. etc or you set an entire list of traps 20 words on how you put them in the order since you are not playing the game but hosting! So for example you compare your list of words with ours and on those positions where we have the same word as you do we fall in the trap and lose points. So by choosing clever we might avoid all the traps...

In that case we can't have an option to change two letters. If you get stuck go back and redo it!

I like the bonus idea too. That should be some weird word that works for the entire line regardless on the position where the contestant puts it.

I hope these will help ;)

:)

Edited by andromeda

One more thing regarding my previous post. We should try both versions in practice to see how they work and then decide what should the exact rules be!

So two rounds of test running this game, I think it's interesting and I can't wait to be a guinea pig! :D

EDIT: Regarding my previous post... maybe your traps on certain position shouldn't be by the rules!

We should write:

hat

hit

hot

how

cow

and you could go with no particular order

hat - of course only the first two words should go by the rules!

hit

rat

cow

I think it would be definitely more difficult for you to set all the traps...

So what do you think... did I think too much about this game?? :)

Now you see how my brain works :lol: I'll probably have more suggestions... B))

Edited by andromeda

The bonus word is cool too ;) but this is my problem - in the end this game will more be based on luck that knowledge and logic.

In "The Oddest Out" even if we used the dictionary we still had to think in order to choose the most common word... here again we, I assume, can use a dictionary but the outcome will only depend on pure luck, whether we hit the trap or the bonus word!

I still don't know how this game will work so I can't give you any final conclusions, but judging the rules and everything it seams to me like it depends entirely on luck.

I suggest that maybe we should set traps but only at certain positions for example

1. hat

2. hit

3. hot

4. rot

5. rat

etc

And then we only set a TRAP on position 3. to be HOT but if you choose HOT on any other position you don't lose any points!

I think that this is better because if you choose HOT to be the trap word for the entire line most of the people will fall into that one. Or you choose a TRAP only for position 2. 4. 6. etc or you set an entire list of traps 20 words on how you put them in the order since you are not playing the game but hosting! So for example you compare your list of words with ours and on those positions where we have the same word as you do we fall in the trap and lose points. So by choosing clever we might avoid all the traps...

In that case we can't have an option to change two letters. If you get stuck go back and redo it!

I like the bonus idea too. That should be some weird word that works for the entire line regardless on the position where the contestant puts it.

I hope these will help ;)

Well I agree on your opion of it will become luck rather than strategy. Now this is my proposal, slight amend from your idea.

All the player give me the 4 word as the trap, Word 1 effective on list 1 to 5, word 2 effective as trap on lists 6 to 10, word 3 for list 11 to 15 and word 4 for list 16 to 20!

In such manner, you actually plan strategy which word trap put where so other may fall to your trap.

Also, in order to shorten the delay time. (I actually plan this 'small' game just for everyone to play before Christmas, that means we only have about 14~15 days!), I suggest, I will start each round with a word. You plan how you list the 20, and you also PM me what is the trap you set for list 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 and 16-20. So one short I can generate and give you the result!

As for the bonus word, maybe I will put it as a riddle, so you all could guess what is the bonus word?

Well I agree on your opion of it will become luck rather than strategy. Now this is my proposal, slight amend from your idea.

All the player give me the 4 word as the trap, Word 1 effective on list 1 to 5, word 2 effective as trap on lists 6 to 10, word 3 for list 11 to 15 and word 4 for list 16 to 20!

In such manner, you actually plan strategy which word trap put where so other may fall to your trap.

Also, in order to shorten the delay time. (I actually plan this 'small' game just for everyone to play before Christmas, that means we only have about 14~15 days!), I suggest, I will start each round with a word. You plan how you list the 20, and you also PM me what is the trap you set for list 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 and 16-20. So one short I can generate and give you the result!

As for the bonus word, maybe I will put it as a riddle, so you all could guess what is the bonus word?

U.. I love that idea... for us to set traps! We should go like that 4 traps! That's better than my idea :D

And as for the second one let's just leave it on luck ;)

One more thing regarding my previous post. We should try both versions in practice to see

So what do you think... did I think too much about this game?? :)

Now you see how my brain works :lol: I'll probably have more suggestions... B))

lol, now I know why you address yourself physco, :P

Edited by woon

One more thing...are they going to be just 3 or more letter words??

If only three then in the end we just might end up writing the same list over and over again... :lol: but if we'll have 4 or 5 letter words then we gonna have to use the two letter change lose 1 point rule because I don't think that 4 and 5 letter words could be easily changed 20 times?!

For example

time

lime

line

live

love

lose... OK forget that I asked ;) it works!

So what do you think should you use the 2 letter change rule or not. I think it's better if we DON'T change two letters!

One letter change only!

Oh and another thing

I'll use the list above

time

lime

line

live

love

So this is my list 1-5 and my trap can't be one of these words but for example I have to chose LIFE. So I can't use one of those words on the list to be my trap because I fall in the trap :lol:

EDIT: One more thing maybe 20 words is too much... if we have 3 letters than 20 words is OK but when we have 4 and 5 letter words than maybe less... like 15 or something. You should try every word yourself if it's possible before you use it!

Edited by andromeda

One more thing...are they going to be just 3 or more letter words??

If only three then in the end we just might end up writing the same list over and over again... :lol: but if we'll have 4 or 5 letter words then we gonna have to use the two letter change lose 1 point rule because I don't think that 4 and 5 letter words could be easily changed 20 times?!

For example

time

lime

line

live

love

lose... OK forget that I asked ;) it works!

trust me, it works. :)

OK, once I wake up tomorrow, I will re-write some of the ground rules, such as:

1) First round is warming up, not elimination! yay!

2) Game start when I post a word like: Start: time

3) When you PM me, don't forget your list of 20 answers and 4 traps, and since the above example is 4 letters, all your answer and trap should be in 4 letters.

eg:

my answer:

time

tame

came

camp

lamp

lump

and my traps are

(trap for 1-5) play

(trap for 6-10) jump

(trap for 11-15) kind

(trap for 16-20) sure

4) Bonus word which will make you gain 5 points if you can guess it in your 20, will be given in a riddle.

for example: Riddle: It give something that not heavy (that may indicate it give 'light' = lamp)

so dang! there is 'lamp' in your answer, you gain 5 points extra!

5) Time allocated for each round will be 36 hours.

How does this sound now?

trust me, it works. :)

OK, once I wake up tomorrow, I will re-write some of the ground rules, such as:

1) First round is warming up, not elimination! yay!

2) Game start when I post a word like: Start: time

3) When you PM me, don't forget your list of 20 answers and 4 traps, and since the above example is 4 letters, all your answer and trap should be in 4 letters.

eg:

my answer:

time

tame

came

camp

lamp

lump

and my traps are

(trap for 1-5) play

(trap for 6-10) jump

(trap for 11-15) kind

(trap for 16-20) sure

4) Bonus word which will make you gain 5 points if you can guess it in your 20, will be given in a riddle.

for example: Riddle: It give something that not heavy (that may indicate it give 'light' = lamp)

so dang! there is 'lamp' in your answer, you gain 5 points extra!

5) Time allocated for each round will be 36 hours.

How does this sound now?

Super :D

Umm...maybe it's just me, but it seems like only woon and andromeda got the new system :P

So, can my traps be in my answers as well? So if I say lamp as my third answer, then put lamp as a trap for 1-5, would that be ok, or will I fall into my own trap? :lol:

And I think only one non-elimination round is required (also I want to get this game started sooner :D )

Umm...maybe it's just me, but it seems like only woon and andromeda got the new system :P

So, can my traps be in my answers as well? So if I say lamp as my third answer, then put lamp as a trap for 1-5, would that be ok, or will I fall into my own trap? :lol:

And I think only one non-elimination round is required (also I want to get this game started sooner :D )

Well if you have the word LAMP in 1-5 then you can put it as a trap in the 6-10!

We still don't know how the trap thing will work, but this way it's more a game of strategy than just luck. So you have to guess how others might play and set the right traps for the right parts of the 20 word set!