BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Jiminy Cricket

Question

alright, you are all thinking in terms of events to relate to; however, I am speaking about mathematical principles. Maybe a better way to look at it, is find a triangle where a^2 + b^2 = does not equal c^2. Triangles are a bit easier to think of.

There are three ways to make the following statement true.

This sentence has ____ letters.

This sentence has 22 letters.

This sentence has thirty-one letters.

This sentence has some letters.

edit: Which, of course, you already got. I just got here late and wanted to feel clever.

Edited by Grayven

alright, you are all thinking in terms of events to relate to; however, I am speaking about mathematical principles. Maybe a better way to look at it, is find a triangle where a^2 + b^2 = does not equal c^2. Triangles are a bit easier to think of.

Assuming "c" is the hypothenuse, I will agree whole-heartedly! :D

There are three ways to make the following statement true.

This sentence has ____ letters.

This sentence has ten letters.

As in "t" is a letter, "h" is a different letter, "i" is a different letter, "s" is a different letter, "e" is a different letter, ...

This sentence has ten letters.

As in "t" is a letter, "h" is a different letter, "i" is a different letter, "s" is a different letter, "e" is a different letter, ...

it would have to be "ten distinct" or "ten different," but good idea. That never even occurred to me.

That is only true for right triangles. For example, there can certainly be a triangle of sides 2 x 2 x 2, where a^2 + b^2 = does not equal c^2

Oops, been done (after looking up definition of hypotenuse).

Edited by xucam

lol! while those are all really clever....i think JC was looking for a numerical answer.

This sentence has MORE THAN TWO letters. This sentence has MORE THAN THREE letters. This sentence has MORE THAN FOUR letters. Etc., etc.

exactly 29

exactly thirty-nine

That is only true for right triangles. For example, there can certainly be a triangle of sides 2 x 2 x 2, where a^2 + b^2 = does not equal c^2

Even that presupposes the use of Euclidean geometry on a planar surface. If you are drawing your triangles on the surface of a globe, then all three corners can be right angles. If you think of a right angle at the north pole with its hypotenuse running parallel to the equator, it's easy to visualize that the length of the hypotenuse at the 45th parallel north (half-way to the equator) would be the same length as the hypotenuse at the 45th parallel south (half-way between the equator and the south pole), only the sides would be much longer for the latter triangle!

Assuming "c" is the hypothenuse, I will agree whole-heartedly! :D

Even that presupposes the use of Euclidean geometry on a planar surface. If you are drawing your triangles on the surface of a globe, then all three corners can be right angles. If you think of a right angle at the north pole with its hypotenuse running parallel to the equator, it's easy to visualize that the length of the hypotenuse at the 45th parallel north (half-way to the equator) would be the same length as the hypotenuse at the 45th parallel south (half-way between the equator and the south pole), only the sides would be much longer for the latter triangle!

I have an aunt in Durhan and one in Bournmouth and one at Southend-on-sea. These all make a triangle too (also on a globe)

What has this all to do with the OP?