BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Murderer

Question

I heard this one a long time ago.

A man aproaches you in a dark alley. He says,

"If you tell a lie, I will kill you with a knife. If you tell the truth, I will kill you with a gun."

What do you say to stay alive?

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well see if you don't say anything then he's just going to think that you are stupid, so he'll just end up killing you anyways. (any way that he chooses)... If I were in that situation I would say something like "Can I have a taco...?", or "Lama's are like so awesome!" ... loll.... :D:rolleyes::) :l

Make a forecast. It can't be said to be a lie or a truth.

Silence is a stupid answer. As it's just an easy way not to apply any intelligence to the riddle.

this one is flawed on the assumption that you A) Must say something and B) Make a statment

So? The question is

you can tell him a fantasy story about flying rabbits but only if you told him it was a true story would it be a lie.

but if you are in a dark alley wont it be hard for him to aim at you with a gun

Oh come on. It's a dark alley not a pitch black alley, and what if the gun is an ak47 he'll just spray. And thoughts like that start stupid comments like that.

Edited by Talent

I don't say a word and proceed to kick the h*$$ out of him. I'm a MARINE! <_<

I like the way you think ;)

if you tell him a lie and a true statement all in one sentence he wont be able to figure out with one to kill you with

;):lol:

"If you tell a lie, I will kill you with a knife. If you tell the truth, I will kill you with a gun."

You should pose the riddle better. The obvious solution is "say nothing" unless you state in the problem words to the effect that "the criminal instructs you to utter one sentence, or die."

It's a pretty elegant brain teazer if you had phrased it correctly.

Why has this gone on for 30+ posts without anyone realizing the fundamental flaw in this riddle?

That fundamental flaw is: Why the heck should the murderer care about keeping his word about these killing scenarios?

If you said something that was a lie, why couldn't he decide to shoot you?

If you said something that was truth, why couldn't he decide to stab you?

If you said something else, or anything, why couldn't he decide to unleash his rabid wombat from beneath his black cape to kill you?

The foundation of this riddle, with all possible "in-sync" answers, is based on the assumption that this murder will kill you the way he's said. That is the worst assumption I've ever heard. The guy's a murderer!

<_<

Why has this gone on for 30+ posts without anyone realizing the fundamental flaw in this riddle?

That fundamental flaw is: Why the heck should the murderer care about keeping his word about these killing scenarios?

If you said something that was a lie, why couldn't he decide to shoot you?

If you said something that was truth, why couldn't he decide to stab you?

If you said something else, or anything, why couldn't he decide to unleash his rabid wombat from beneath his black cape to kill you?

The foundation of this riddle, with all possible "in-sync" answers, is based on the assumption that this murder will kill you the way he's said. That is the worst assumption I've ever heard. The guy's a murderer!

<_<

maybe he doesn't want to kill you.

maybe he is Jigsaw from Saw and he wants to test the human fabric. :lol:

Saw is such a good movie.

Give him playboy and playgirl magazines so it covers if he's gay or straight, then proceed to form a friendship with him and organize weekly poker games (The rules said dont post on a thread over a month old right? so am i ok?)

(The rules said dont post on a thread over a month old right? so am i ok?)

Comming up with something new - I think is always good

It says dont repeat the same answer on an old topic

"You will kill me with neither a knife nor a gun" is the statement that should keep you alive.. either that or "I already dialed 911 you psycho and they have your fulld description down to your fingerprints and home address" lol

you run ;)

The simplest paradox is this:

"I'm lying!"

But any single declaration paradox would suffice. You can't have something that takes two or more declarations to arrive at the paradox, for the attacker will kill you for the first declaration.

Silence would "technically" just delay the inevitable, and running or fighting would possibly end in death (he didn't say anything about NOT killing you if you did anything else!)

But if you don't like the "I'm lying" statement, then the one used in this post ("You will kill me with the knife!") is very appropriate, since it is something the attacker can easily relate to...

the answer is...

duck, swipe out his legs, punch his throat on the way down and then kick his chin upward when the back of his head hits the ground. Then stomp hard on his gun/knife arm and then the other arm and then pin him down to punch him in the temple, that should keep him still enough to grab the gun away and give him a good smacking upside the head

:P Then say "B*tch, I was lying!"

I would answer with another paradox which is:

"I always lie and never tell the truth"

This statement cannot be a lie or the truth.

If you do always lie, then you cannot make that statement - because it is the truth.

If you dont lie, then you cannot make that statement - beause the statement is a lie.

Yes that's what I'd say.

That would just be a lie. You see that, right. That is simply a lie. You would die by knife. You don't always lie and you do sometimes tell the truth. Best stick with an actual paradox. "you will kill me with the knife " is your best bet