rookie1ja

easy

flip on switch 'a'

flip on switch 'b'

go to other room

remove 1 bulb thats on

then go back to the other room

flip on switch 'c' --- bulb that goes with this switch, switch off

flip off switch 'a' of nothing happens you know its the bulb in your hand and switch 'b' is for the other bulb

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Step:

1. First Activate first switch from the left and let the buld glow for some time so that the bulb gets warm (say 10 minutes).

2. Switch it off and switch on the middle switch.

3. Now go to the room and you know the bulb for the middle switch.

4. Touch the other two blulbs and identify the warmer bulb. This is linked to the first switch from the left.

1st switch: Turn it ON for ... say 2 minutes,the bulb (should be very hot).

2nd switch: Turn it ON and after 3 seconds turn it OFF(should be warm).

3rd. Should be cold.

Finally,go and number them!

Ugh. Turn on two of the switches for about 5 minutes. Turn one of the "on" switches off. Walk into the room. The light that is still on is the obvious "on" switch. Feel the two "off" bulbs. The one that is warm is the switch that was previously "on", now "off". The remaining one is the untouched switch.

Turn on one switch, let it get warm. Turn it off, walk into the other room. Feel which bulb is warm. Then unscrew that bulb and one other bulb. Walk back into the room Turn on one of the two remaining switches. If it does not turn a light on you know it is the lamp without a bulb. If it turns on, again you know which lamp it is...

*have not yet read the spoiler*

I think maybe you could turn one on for a while and let it sit, then turn it off and turn on another one and go into the lamp room.

One will be on, that's the one you just flicked. One of the ones that is off will be warm, that will be the first one you turned on, and the third will be off and cold.

Now, to go see how close I got!

edit: Dead on! I rock. Go me, go me, go me.

Maybe this is personal...but walking into the room and touching a HOT bulb that has just been turned off does not sound like much fun to me.

Sometimes we must suffer for science

couldnt you just leave the door open to the room with the lights and just walk to the doorway and see which bulb is on. it said you could only walk into the room once. or can you move them outside of the room?

couldnt you just leave the door open to the room with the lights and just walk to the doorway and see which bulb is on. it said you could only walk into the room once. or can you move them outside of the room?

tricky workarounds ... however, you are not allowed to do that

Assume S1,S2 and S3 are 3 switches.

Assume B1, B2 and B3 are 3 bulbs.

ON Switches S1 and S2.

After few minutes lets assume that 2 bulbs(say B1 and B3) are warm.

Now turn off one switch , say S2. Lets say Bulb B3 is turned off.

So in the other room 1 bulb is glowing , i.e B1. and it is for the switch that is still on. So we got S1 = B1

Touch the other two bulbs B2 and B3 that are not glowing. One should be warmer say B3 , taht will correspond to the switch that we swiched off and that is S2. So S2 = B3 and hence S3 = B2.

Hoz it ????

you would simply turn one switch on and wait for one minute. Then turn it off and turn on a different switch. Go in the room. obviously the light that is on goes to the switch you left on. of the two bulbs that are off, feel them and the bulb that is warm goes to the first switch you left on, and the cold bulb belongs to the light switch that you never touched.

i beleive the solution is .. turn one light bulb on then turn it off turn another on and then go to the other room.. the hot bulb that is off is the for the first switch, the on bulb is the second switch and the cold off bulb is for the third.

First, turn on any random switch and walk into the room and remember which bulb that switch turns on. Then unscrew one of the unlit bulbs and remember which bulb you unscrewed. Third, leave the room turn off the switch you turned on and try one of the other switches, if the other switch also lights a bulb then that switch belongs to the bulb that was not first lit and is still screwed in, if no bulb lights then that switch is for the bulb you unscrewed.

The reason why he goes directly to his floor when it's raining or when someone else is on the elevator is because he either has the other person push the 10th floor button for him or he uses his umbrella to hit the 10th floor button.

He's a midget...

easy ==>

Room one - Lamp A: hit the switch on. 2 cases:

1) the bulb light on ==> Switch 1 == Lamp A

2) The bulb inside doesnt light ==> go to next room

Room two - Lamp B : 2cases assuming we had the second case in room 1, the case 1 is obvious :

1) the bulb is already on ==> Switch 1 == Lamp B, hit the switch and go to next room

2) the bulb isnt on ==> Switch 1 == Lamp C; hit the switch :

case a) it lights the bulb then Switch 2 == Lamp B

case B) nothing happen, switch 2== Lamp A

go to next room if you hesitate on another lamp

simple...turn on one switch for about 15 seconds, turn it off, turn on another switch and then walk into the room with the lights. The bulb that is lit goes to the switch that is on, the bulb that is warm goes to the switch that you turned on and off, and the bulb that is left (the cold one) goes to the switch you never turned on.

For incandescent, feel the ballast.

cheers

jjj

Turn on one switch for a few min. then turn on one other and leave one off. Go to the other room and the light that is hot goes to the switch you turned on first and the other the cooler light is the second switch and the third is off...

Hello!

I think the solution is straight forword.

At the switch room, first of all, turn on one of the switches for half an hour (for example), and then turn it off. Turn on another one switch. Keep that switch turned on.

Go to the next room. The turned on bulb is connected to the turned on switch at the other room. The warm bulb is connected to the first switch you turned on for half an hour. The cold bulb is connected to switch you never touch.

So, there you have...the true solution

Assuming that there is some sort of doorway/passageway between the rooms, and that the rooms are next to each other (and also assuming that the bulbs are not arranged in a straight line as observed from that doorway).....then you can tell which bulb is on by simply observing the shadow is being cast through the doorway by the bulb. Maybe this is personal...but walking into the room and touching a HOT bulb that has just been turned off does not sound like much fun to me.

I'm thinking along the same line, although I don't think there's even a need to involve a shadow.

Since there is no mention of where everything is placed, the simplest solution is to simply look through the doorway (there must be one if you can enter the room at least one time) and watch the bulbs turn on and off as you flick the switches to find out which bulb belongs to which switch.

After learning the answer, I would recommend turning them all on, going into the room, sitting down and reading a good book.

what if you turn each switch on one by one and every time you turn one on you go look into the room at which bulb is on without actually entering into the room. <!--

Yeah. I like the actual solution shown in the spoiler better , though.

To prevent this "cheating" line of thinking, I think something stating that the heavy (or otherwise opaque) door, using heavy springs, can only be opened once, the switches are on the far end from the door, and if you tried to open the door and then run back to the switches to flick them on and off, the door would close and you would never find the solution, and then Jigsaw would come in and say, "Game over."

Something along these lines, written more succinctly, would be appropriate, I think.

edit: although there is mention that it is impossible to see from one room to the other, there is still the matter that it is possible to traverse from one room to the other. Although it's not mentioned how, generally people think of a door or doorway (unless you're Ghost Dad starring Bill Cosby, or something).

No offense intended. I like this puzzle and want to make it perfect. Because I am Jigsaw, and I plan to use it with my next amoral victim.

Boo.

Just kidding.

Really like this site, by the way. I came via the google gadget, so that's a really good way to bring people here (well, at least one, anyway- me).

All of you are wrong. The right answer is to take off your pants and hang them over a steel zipline connecting one corner of the room to the other. Then, whilst singing the MacGuyver theme song, attract a small crowd of onlookers. Then, while in your underpants, run over and flip the three switches and scream SOMEBODY TELL ME WHATS GOING ON IN THE OTHER ROOM QUICK!

If you don't have community, what do you have? Right mates?

just because you cannot see into the room does not mean that you cannot see light coming out of the room. why not hit 1 switch at a time and look for the light. Im not trying to be a smart aleck but seriously thats what you do when you find that mysterious switch in your house that doesn't turn anything on. you look for the light....

Flip one switch and wait one minute. Turn off that switch and flip on another. Go into room and touch the bulbs which are not lit. The warm one is the first switch, the lit one is the second and the other is the third.

1st you start off by turning one switch on. You let it warm up and then you turn it off. Then you turn another buld on then you walk over to the room. The first switch you know is the one buld that is on. Second you feel both bulbs that are not turned on. whichever is warmest will be the one that you turned on at first and the coolest is the one that you never turned on.