BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Bulbs

rookie1ja

Flip one switch on for a couple minutes, then turn if off. Flip the second switch on for 10 seconds, then turn if off. Next go into the room with the bulbs and touch each bulb. The hotest bulb belongs to the switch that was on the longest, the warm bulb belongs to the switch that was on for 10 seconds and the cold bulb belongs to the remaining switch.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can turn one switch on and off constantly, do this for a whole day and the metal inside will break. then turn on another one and go to the other room and take the off bulb off and shake it to listen to the thing inside. (for precaution if you think the metal won't break after such harsh torture on the bulb, turn that first switch on and let the bulb get hot)

leave it on for a while until u think the bulb is hot enough.then turn it off and turn on another switch...then you go to the room once u turned the other switch on and you feel the other two which are and which one of the two is hot

simple you just turn one of the switches on wait for a minute or so then it off, atfer ur done with that quickly flick on the other bulb then walk into the room and remember which switch you had turn on first that bulb should be warmer then the other two. that would be switch number 1 next the light that is on would be switch number 2 and finally that last light would b switch number 3 ^-^!!

Turn one switch on and leave all the others off, go to the room with the bolts and remove one of the bolts that is not lit and take it with you.

Now you have successfully identified one switch with one bolt, let's say switch 1 connects with bolt 1 and you have unplugged bolt number 2, all you have to do is to identify the two remaining switches.

Go to switch 2 and unplug one of the two cables from the switch and connect it to the bolt, touch the other side of the bolt with the part of the switch where you've unplugged the cable and turn on the switch. If the bolt you're holding is lit then it means that switch 2 connects with bolt 3 (and switch 3 with bolt 2) else switch 2 connects with bolt 2 (and switch 3 with bolt 3)

Don't know if this solution is already posted before...

Why wouldn't you just turn on 2 switches, enter the room and make note of which lights are on, then unscrew one bulb. Go back to the switches and alternately turn on/off the switches you had already turned on. The one that does nothing controls the light with the loosened bulb, and the 2nd switch controls the other light that was on. You know the switch you didn't touch controls the light that was not on at all. Problem solved, and no burned fingers!

I believe that my answer works, although it differs from the given answer: I would turn the 1st switch on. Eventually it would burn the bulb out. Let's allow 2 weeks of "on" to assure this occurs. Then, I turn on switch 2. Lastly, I go into the lamp room and observe which bulb has a broken filament (1), which bulb is on, and bulb which is off. - Greg Arnold

Just turn on one for a while for at least 2mins and hen turn it off and turn another on and go into the room. The light that is on will be the switch that is on and the warm bulb will be the first switch and obviously the last switch is to the cool and unlit bulb. This is one of the easier ones I've seen.

Sequence of steps are given below:

Switch 1: ON: Leave ON for 10 minutes: OFF

Switch 2: ON

Go to room with bulbs

1 bulb will be glowing: This is linked to Switch 2

Check which bulb is hot: This is linked to Switch 1

Check which bulb is cold: This is linked to Switch 3

Voila !!

1)Switch 1 (turn on for 5 minits turn off again)

2)Switch 2(leave on)

3)Do not touch switch.

walk into Room if bulb is on it's switch 2 if it's off and hot to touch then it's switch 1 if it's not hot switch 3 B))

Bulbs - Back to the Logic Puzzles

This is one of my favorite logic puzzles (Edit: it is more a practical than a logic puzzle).

Imagine you are in a room with 3 switches. In an adjacent room there are 3 bulbs (Edit: let's say in lamps which are on a regular table) - all are off at the moment, each switch belongs to one bulb. It is impossible to see from one room to another. How can you find out which switch belongs to which bulb, if you may enter the room with the bulbs only once?

Edit: No help from anybody else is allowed.

Edit: Find out which switch belongs to which bulb - identify all 3 switches (so find out what bulbs are switches 1, 2 and 3 connected to)

turn one on for a while. Then turn it off turn another one on. Enter the room see which one is hot. then there is one on and one cool.

Maybe I'm just being simple-minded, but why don't you just go into the room with the lamps, pick them all up and go back into the room with the swtiches? Plug the lamps in, and flip switches to your heart's content while seeing which switch does what. It's just a thought.

This is a very simple riddle, all that it requires is logice, all that you need to do is turn on 1 switch and kepp it on, then turn on another for 3 minutes, turn it off, and walk into the room, the one that is warm is the switch that you turned on for 3 minutes, the one that is one is the sitch that your turned on and kept on.

Bulbs - Back to the Logic Puzzles

This is one of my favorite logic puzzles (Edit: it is more a practical than a logic puzzle).

Imagine you are in a room with 3 switches. In an adjacent room there are 3 bulbs (Edit: let's say in lamps which are on a regular table) - all are off at the moment, each switch belongs to one bulb. It is impossible to see from one room to another. How can you find out which switch belongs to which bulb, if you may enter the room with the bulbs only once?

Edit: No help from anybody else is allowed.

Edit: Find out which switch belongs to which bulb - identify all 3 switches (so find out what bulbs are switches 1, 2 and 3 connected to)

Bulbs - solution

Keep the first bulb switched on for a few minutes. It gets warm, right? So all you have to do then is ... switch it off, switch another one on, walk into the room with bulbs, touch them and tell which one was switched on as the first one (the warm one) and the others can be easily identified ...

O.K. Either there is something missing to this puzzle or that has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You have turned on one bulb and left it on for a few moments so it can get warm, then you shut it off and turned on another one to get it just a little warm. At this point there is no reason to enter the room since simple process of elimination allows you to designate the third switch to the only bulb not turned on.

turn one on for a little while turn it off then turn on a differant one walkin the room the cool bulb is the one you didnt turn on and the one on is the one you just turned on the hot one was the first you turned on

Turn on all 3 switches.

Wait 5 minutes

Turn off switch # 1

Wait 5 minutes

Turn off switch #2 and go into the room.

Burning bulb is switch #3

Very warm unlit bulb is #2

Cooler unlit bulb is #1

well if you could go into the room with the lights you could unscrew one and go into the room with the switches and click one on and go into the room and guess it out

I will swich the first swich on and let the bulb from that swich for a few mins or hours on so it can become hot and then swich the second one, go to the room, se which one is hot, that is the first swich and the second swich is the other that is not hot but on, and the third swich is the bulb that is off

Possibility 1:

Step 1) enter room

Step 2) set up mirrors

Step 3) use mirrors to determine

B)):rolleyes:-_- <_< :):wacko::blink::ph34r:

Possibility 2:

1) enter room

2) set cameras.

3)watch and learn

The safe way to successfully do this puzzle ...

Turn on one switch and leave on for a long time (e.g. an hour) - pray the bulb doesn't burn out in this amount of time. Then, turn off that switch (#1), and turn on switch (#2). Now immediately go in the room.

You can quickly see which one switch #2 controls (it's the only light on). Now, for the love of your skin, do NOT touch the other two bulbs. In case you missed this lesson in fire-safety, you never grab a doorknob to see if it is hot in a fire, you always approach with the backside of your hand - it is the most sensitive. You can feel the heat before you make actual contact. Do the same here! Approach the other two bulbs with the back of your hand to see which is hot. The hot one is to switch #1; the cold one is to switch #3 (having never been turned on).

That said, I'm not sure what to do if you are in an environmentally-friendly puzzle that uses compact flourescents instead of traditional, wasteful incandescent bulbs. The CF bulbs may not be as reliable in this solution. The don't burn as hot, don't waste as much energy, and don't really respond well to suggestions of leaving a switch in the "halfway" position. I wonder if there is such a solution to a cool, energy-efficient bulb puzzle.