BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

andromeda

Question

The conference room of the Redrum Law Firm was crowded.

Wealthy businessmen had passed away and all of his close and distant relatives were there at the opening of the will. The atmosphere was electric, there was a lot of commotion and people were suspiciously eying each other wondering who gets what and why are they all here??

The sound of the lawyer clearing his throat was the cue for everyone to sit down and hear the reading of the businessman’s will. To their utter disappointment, the businessman had left most of his money to charity organizations.

However every one of them has received an envelope with the following content:

“Hello my dear relative. I know we hadn’t spent almost any time together so this is what I have to offer. In the Rellik Bank I still have one safe deposit box. In order for you to open the safe, you’ll need a 7 digit number code!

How to obtain that code? Well here comes the fun part! Crack this riddle before anyone else does and you’ll be the one to open the safe and become the rightful owner of everything in it!”

Good luck!

In the envelope they have received there was a smaller envelope with a sheet of paper in it that said:

post-10350-1228500127.gif

After everyone read what’s in the envelope, some of them angrily torn it to pieces, but most of them kept them hoping that they will be the person to figure out the code and get what’s in the safe deposit box!

Can you crack the riddle before anyone else does??

edit: adding a hint and a smiley

No math!

:)

Edited by andromeda

• Answers 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Don't think this is it but...

got this from adding the greatest amount of letters in every column of the correct 7*7 square. Tried the same thing with the rows but some rows don't have a unique letter that shows up the most often, i'm thinking that since each column has a unique letter that appears the most that that would be the correct way. Am i warm? Even if i'm wrong i feel like this might be significant towards the solution as each column has atleast 3 of a letter.

I think it's
7777777. Seven digit code. Seven words. Seven letters in each word. It's possible...

Nope :)

Is it:

By the way I'm new, so I have no idea if I'm posting this correctly.

No... both of your answers are incorrect!

Edited by andromeda

Finally The Grid!

Open the safe deposit box! ;)

F G R R V R E

O O N E N E E

N U R O V E R

F O T E R E D

T O W S V E R

F H R H I E D

I O O E E D R

So if I read this grid horizontally,

"ONE" in the second line, and "TOW" which would be "two" jumbled in the fifth line, but other than that, nothing jumps out at me. The first line starts with F, which can be "five" or "four." The first line is missing an I to have all the letters for "five" though. OH! Every line is missing one letter to spell a number! So the first line is missing the I for FIVE, second is missing an I for NINE, third is missing an F for FOUR, fourth an H for THREE, fifth a Z for ZERO, sixth a V for FIVE, and seventh an N for ONE. So the code is 5943051. Do I win??

:o

Also, I just double checked that "SCORNED" works as well as "THORNED" and it does. :)

Gah, I have been so hung up with this puzzle that I completely missed treasure hunt 3. :( Oh well, I'm sure there will be more.

So if I read this grid horizontally,

"ONE" in the second line, and "TOW" which would be "two" jumbled in the fifth line, but other than that, nothing jumps out at me. The first line starts with F, which can be "five" or "four." The first line is missing an I to have all the letters for "five" though. OH! Every line is missing one letter to spell a number! So the first line is missing the I for FIVE, second is missing an I for NINE, third is missing an F for FOUR, fourth an H for THREE, fifth a Z for ZERO, sixth a V for FIVE, and seventh an N for ONE. So the code is 5943051. Do I win??

:o

Also, I just double checked that "SCORNED" works as well as "THORNED" and it does. :)

Gah, I have been so hung up with this puzzle that I completely missed treasure hunt 3. :( Oh well, I'm sure there will be more.

could be missing a "N" for one also, but I like your ZERO better.

could be missing a "N" for one also, but I like your ZERO better.

Indeed it could, which brings up the ambiguity clause again.

since there is no Z in the grid anywhere, that it can't be used in the solution? So the code should actually be 5943151.

Indeed it could, which brings up the ambiguity clause again.

since there is no Z in the grid anywhere, that it can't be used in the solution? So the code should actually be 5943151.

This is what you said a while ago and again so I have to ask...

How do you overcome that?

Answer that question and you'll see the solution!

So my reasoning in my last post to get around the ambiguity is false?

the fourth line could also be missing a U for FOUR. GRRRRRRRR <_<

:wacko:

Homer...
there's nothing missing! Stop rearranging the letters
;)

The riddle is done! Just read the 7 digits and open the safe!

You're killing me, andromeda. Let me ask for one more hint before I throw in the towel.

horizontally or vertically to get the answer? Either way, I'm seeing nothing straightforward and well-defined to give me an unambiguous answer, as even Prof. Templeton's method is leaving a lot of questions unanswered when using the answer grid.

Spoiler for How about this:

Crossing off letters as we go, start at the top spelling out numbers. The first letter is F so we could go with four or five, lets use four. This crosses off a F,O,R in the 1st line and a U in the 2nd. The next uncrossed letter is E, so we'll spell out Eight. The next usable letter is the O in the second line, so we'll spell out One. If we continue in this manner we end up with 4,8,1,7,1,5,3 and no more number can be spelled out. Close?

:mellow:

You're killing me, andromeda. Let me ask for one more hint before I throw in the towel.

horizontally or vertically to get the answer? Either way, I'm seeing nothing straightforward and well-defined to give me an unambiguous answer, as even Prof. Templeton's method is leaving a lot of questions unanswered when using the answer grid.

:mellow:

Crossing off letters as we go, start at the top spelling out numbers. The first letter is F so we could go with four or five, lets use four. This crosses off a F,O,R in the 1st line and a U in the 2nd. The next uncrossed letter is E, so we'll spell out Eight. The next usable letter is the O in the second line, so we'll spell out One. If we continue in this manner we end up with 4,8,1,7,1,5,3 and no more number can be spelled out. Close?

Does the solution involve spelling out the numbers using the letters in the "grid"? I've found ways of spelling out just 5 number or up to 9 numbers depending on how you use the letters.

Well I can think of several more methods to obtain an answer,

counting. And I know you've said numerous times that there is no counting involved. I'm not totally giving up yet, but I'm still not seeing what you're trying to show me. :-\