BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

andromeda

Question

The conference room of the Redrum Law Firm was crowded.

Wealthy businessmen had passed away and all of his close and distant relatives were there at the opening of the will. The atmosphere was electric, there was a lot of commotion and people were suspiciously eying each other wondering who gets what and why are they all here??

The sound of the lawyer clearing his throat was the cue for everyone to sit down and hear the reading of the businessman’s will. To their utter disappointment, the businessman had left most of his money to charity organizations.

However every one of them has received an envelope with the following content:

“Hello my dear relative. I know we hadn’t spent almost any time together so this is what I have to offer. In the Rellik Bank I still have one safe deposit box. In order for you to open the safe, you’ll need a 7 digit number code!

How to obtain that code? Well here comes the fun part! Crack this riddle before anyone else does and you’ll be the one to open the safe and become the rightful owner of everything in it!”

Good luck!

In the envelope they have received there was a smaller envelope with a sheet of paper in it that said:

post-10350-1228500127.gif

After everyone read what’s in the envelope, some of them angrily torn it to pieces, but most of them kept them hoping that they will be the person to figure out the code and get what’s in the safe deposit box!

Can you crack the riddle before anyone else does??

edit: adding a hint and a smiley

No math!

:)

Edited by andromeda

• Answers 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Only 14 letters are used in all seven words. I assigned a number to each letter based on 0-9, repeating. Then took every other letter (like the vertical lines might be crossing them out).

:D
I think its 5195358 because if you take the first letter of each word it is the first letter/sound for the number under 10

Nice effort but no...

4 & 5 both start w/ f

2 & 3 both start w/ t

Exactly and... ;)

Only 14 letters are used in all seven words. I assigned a number to each letter based on 0-9, repeating. Then took every other letter (like the vertical lines might be crossing them out).

I had already said this before and it's no problem for me to say it again I said no counting!

Welcome to the Den! :)

Edited by andromeda

Is there a cipher?

FOREVER

EOUTSID|E

RENOWHE|RE

VERFORE|VER

RNEDTHO|RNED

REVERFO|REVER

GNOREDI|GNORED

Am I on the right track?

edit: i have the words on paper in a perfect 7*7 square, without the stragglers at the end, i just put that in here to clarify how i came up with the 7*7 grid

Edited by NickyThump

Is there a cipher?

FOREVER

EOUTSID|E

RENOWHE|RE

VERFORE|VER

RNEDTHO|RNED

REVERFO|REVER

GNOREDI|GNORED

Am I on the right track?

edit: i have the words on paper in a perfect 7*7 square, without the stragglers at the end, i just put that in here to clarify how i came up with the 7*7 grid

Ups I see what mislead you... the staggered lines! I only put them like that because I thought it was pretty! :blush:

Girls will be girls!

HINT

Look at the stationary!

;)

To align words use

Edited by andromeda

R

E E

E D V

R R I E

D E E S R

R E V H T O

D  E N E W U F

E V R R O O 

R E O O N

O R H F

N O T

G F

I

ok, so i took the box of letters and turned it so the all the diagonal lines would point down.

then i took the line going down or across the center.

letters 1-5=1 6-10=2 11-15=3 etc.

so the code is 4111332 or 1131552

i know it's wrong but i tried.

i know it's wrong but i tried.

R

E E

E D V

R R I E

D E E S R

R E V H T O

D  E N E W U F

E V R R O O 

R E O O N

O R H F

N O T

G F

I

ok, so i took the box of letters and turned it so the all the diagonal lines would point down.

then i took the line going down or across the center.

letters 1-5=1 6-10=2 11-15=3 etc.

so the code is 4111332 or 1131552

Thanks for trying! :)

Question - why are your words going backwards?? And I said multiple times that you should get 7*7 square after diagonalling (I know it's not a word) the words!

EDIT:Typo

THORNED doesn't sound right to me, but SCORNED does.

I am not sure if this has already been said, but I had to put it down. ;)

It's been said ;) in my second post actually. I said that I know it's not a word, I just couldn't find a proper word and I was eager to post so I left it like that, but SCORNED work fine as well. I doesn't interfere with the solution! :)

I've just checked 'scorned' in the dictionary and it's perfect for this riddle, unfortunately I can't change it anymore :(

Thanks for the heads up ;)

I'm almost done with my third HUNT and I'm pretty sure I could have wrote better lines, oh well.. :lol:

The conference room of the Redrum Law Firm was crowded.

Wealthy businessmen had passed away and all of his close and distant relatives were there at the opening of the will. The atmosphere was electric, there was a lot of commotion and people were suspiciously eying each other wondering who gets what and why are they all here??

The sound of the lawyer clearing his throat was the cue for everyone to sit down and hear the reading of the businessman’s will. To their utter disappointment, the businessman had left most of his money to charity organizations.

However every one of them has received an envelope with the following content:

“Hello my dear relative. I know we hadn’t spent almost any time together so this is what I have to offer. In the Rellik Bank I still have one safe deposit box. In order for you to open the safe, you’ll need a 7 digit number code!

How to obtain that code? Well here comes the fun part! Crack this riddle before anyone else does and you’ll be the one to open the safe and become the rightful owner of everything in it!”

Good luck!

In the envelope they have received there was a smaller envelope with a sheet of paper in it that said:

post-10350-1228500127.gif

After everyone read what’s in the envelope, some of them angrily torn it to pieces, but most of them kept them hoping that they will be the person to figure out the code and get what’s in the safe deposit box!

Can you crack the riddle before anyone else does??

edit: adding a hint and a smiley

No math!

:)

I have piled up all the important posts that should help you crack the code!

Are there any repeating digits in the code?

Yes

going diagonally from upper left to lower right. If I line up all the words, I get

F O R E V E R

O U T S I D E

N O W H E R E

F O R E V E R

T H O R N E D

F O R E V E R

I G N O R E D

but if you read each line diagonally, it still doesn't make sense. :huh::blink::wacko:

You can read the solution out of this square but it's hard to see the pattern and from this perspective you can't tell from which side you should start to read the numbers, that is why I was insisting on doing it my way, but since no one managed to draw it my way, maybe you'll be able to read the solution out of this one! ;)

one question

does this riddle have to do with changing letters to numbers?

Yes

Do we have to write what you wrote diagonally?

FONFTFI

-OUOOHOG

--RTWRORN

---ESHEREO

----VIEVNVR

-----EDREEEE

------REERDRD

Yes but not like this, this or this.

Crossing off letters as we go, start at the top spelling out numbers. The first letter is F so we could go with four or five, lets use four. This crosses off a F,O,R in the 1st line and a U in the 2nd. The next uncrossed letter is E, so we'll spell out Eight. The next usable letter is the O in the second line, so we'll spell out One. If we continue in this manner we end up with 4,8,1,7,1,5,3 and no more number can be spelled out. Close?

What happens if you start with five instead of four?

A good riddle leaves no ambiguity to the answer, so I'm thinking this method is not the solution.

How do you overcome that?

Is there a cipher?

FOREVER

EOUTSID|E

RENOWHE|RE

VERFORE|VER

RNEDTHO|RNED

REVERFO|REVER

GNOREDI|GNORED

Am I on the right track?

This is not what I had in mind! But the 7*7 square without the stragglers is how it should look like!

I hope this will help you to solve the riddle! I guess it's not that easy as I thought it is! <_<

Edited by andromeda

Is this the grid?:

FRETNER

OVUEREE

EODEVNE

RIHERRI

SWROORO

OOCFENE

FSDVGRD

or this:

FONFTFI

GOUOOHO

RNRTWRO

REOESHE

VNVRVIE

REEEEED

EERDRDR

The more I think about it, the less sure I'm even in the neighborhood. I just can't seem to decipher how to lay out the grid.

I think that....

when the grid is finished. In either each column or row, their should be the letters of a number, mixed in with the rest. This would give the order and number.....

I just can't get the grid to get that way....ARGH....

Is this the grid?:

FRETNER

OVUEREE

EODEVNE

RIHERRI

SWROORO

OOCFENE

FSDVGRD

or this:

FONFTFI

GOUOOHO

RNRTWRO

REOESHE

VNVRVIE

REEEEED

EERDRDR

The more I think about it, the less sure I'm even in the neighborhood. I just can't seem to decipher how to lay out the grid.

¡ɹoqɥƃıǝu puoɔǝs ʎɯ oןןǝɥ

I think that....

when the grid is finished. In either each column or row, their should be the letters of a number, mixed in with the rest. This would give the order and number.....

I just can't get the grid to get that way....ARGH....

Patience we are almost there... :)

I adore you LIS you have never failed to make my laugh ;)

¡ɹoqɥƃıǝu puoɔǝs ʎɯ oןןǝɥ

This message throws a whole new twist into it.

that the solution has to do with turning letters upside down to look like numbers? so then E would become 3, G (or actually "g") would become 6, I is 1, O is 0, h is 4. But I'm STILL not seeing how to lay out the grid to make this happen either, as there are a lot of Fs and Rs and other letters in the way that would mean nothing, but at least this method is supported by FIF's idea of changing letters into numbers.

:wacko:

This riddle is really frying my brain. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

This message throws a whole new twist into it.

that the solution has to do with turning letters upside down to look like numbers? so then E would become 3, G (or actually "g") would become 6, I is 1, O is 0, h is 4. But I'm STILL not seeing how to lay out the grid to make this happen either, as there are a lot of Fs and Rs and other letters in the way that would mean nothing, but at least this method is supported by FIF's idea of changing letters into numbers.

:wacko:

This riddle is really frying my brain. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Her second table has a good start *insert upside down message here*

Of course this hint has nothing to do with upside down reading! :)

F G R R V R E

O O N E N E E

N U R O V E R

F O T E R E D

T O W S V E R

F H R H I E D

I O O E E D R

OR

F T D V G R D

O O H F E N E

E U R O O R O

E N T E R R I

O R O S V N E

V R E W I E E

R E E F H D R

If one of these is the grid, I'm lost at finding the numbers.

Welcome to the Den Trisha!

No that's not the answer, but I'm interested to know how you got it? ;)

Haha to be honest It's all kindof a blur! a wrong blur!

I was working off one of the theories um the f=five and so on!

ha i don't really know but it kinda made sense at the time!