BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

At 6am, having just finished writing the paper that was due in class that morning, which, as usual, she had procrastinated doing until the last minute, Y-san headed to the computer lab of her dormitory at Redrum University to pick up the printout. Rifling through the unclaimed printouts to find her own, she stumbled upon a sheet of paper with the following printed on it:

& 6 4 9 9&
1 5 3 8
2 0 9 8
2 9^ 8^
5& 3# 9& 3
6 3
9 0 0
9 3
2 3 2 9 9^

[/codebox]

Y-san rubbed her tired red eyes. After a few moments of squinting at the sheet, after assuring herself it wasn't just a caffeine overdose-induced hallucination, she grabbed the phone next to the printer and dialed campus security. Luckily, she remembered the person's room number. When the campus security desk picked up, she hurridly instructed them to send a security to that room, then sprinted there herself.

As with most of her friend's room combos, she knew this person's by heart. Flinging open the door, she saw the culprit and the victim sitting around a table, on which rested the fixings for tea, along with a cake and a knife to cut it with. Behind them, she saw a computer screen open to word processor document that the printout was for. Y-san breathed a sigh of relief. The person was still alive.

Soon after, the campus police arrived and took the culprit and the evidence into custody. After they were gone, the victim looked up at Y-san gratefully and said "Thank you for being clever enough to figure out my message!"

Y-san shook her head and gave the person the benefit of her lopsided smile. "No, you're the clever one...you thought of it first."

Edited by Yoruichi-san

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, I put some time on it, and it led me to nowhere. Where is what i got:

First, I thought of the ASCII table. I converted your table to decimal, and then subtracted multiples of the number of letters (26) to find a letter, and got the following table:

M C A F FM(or S?)
X B Z E
Y W F E
Y FQ(W) EQ(A)
BM(I) ZJ(N) FM(S) Z
C Z
F W W
F Z
X
Y Z Y F FQ(W)

Well, I think I need a hint...

Well, I put some time on it, and it led me to nowhere. Where is what i got:

First, I thought of the ASCII table. I converted your table to decimal, and then subtracted multiples of the number of letters (26) to find a letter, and got the following table:

M C A F FM(or S?)
X B Z E
Y W F E
Y FQ(W) EQ(A)
BM(I) ZJ(N) FM(S) Z
C Z
F W W
F Z
X
Y Z Y F FQ(W)

Well, I think I need a hint...

Lol...you're not crazy, you're very clever...but the answer is actually not that complicated...;P

...parts of the story...

Alright...'nother hint...

Y-san was able to decipher the printout relatively easily for a reason...if she hadn't been engaged in her previous activity, i.e. if she had been playing DDR(...or sleeping like a sane person would have been ;P) before looking at the printout there might be one more dead body on the count at Redrum U right now...

:rolleyes:

<_<
I think it has some thing to do with the position of the number buttons on a std keyboard. Maybe it has something to do with cross-referencing the numbers to get letters….

Can’t figure how though…

Well, if Gambit is right, I have another question because of my Brazillian layout keyboard...

Holding SHIFT and pressing all my numbers line, I have:

"!@#$%"&*()_+

I had and American layout keyboard before, and as far as I can remember, the only difference is the number 6, that comes out to be ^ when SHIFT is held. Am I right?

Oh, I thought about it before!

Let's see...

She could only see it that way because of her sleepy-distorted vision!

I tried this method, but couldn't find all the letters! Is this the right path?

& G A 9 9&
I S E B
Z O 9 B
Z 9^ 8^
5& 3# 9& E
G E
9 O O
9 E
I
Z E Z 9 9^

glad she wasn't my friend...'cause she'd be dead by now.

i thought at first they were the keys on a phone and by using the letters with the corresponding numbers, a message will come out. but nothing.

this is going to be one of those "THAT WAS SO SIMPLE" puzzles when it's cracked.

I'm not sure, but I think some of the words of the text must be inside the code... I thought of KNIFE, maybe CAKE or TEA... Then, it must be horizontally...

Edited by Skywalker

Alright...'nother hint...

Y-san was able to decipher the printout relatively easily for a reason...if she hadn't been engaged in her previous activity, i.e. if she had been playing DDR(...or sleeping like a sane person would have been ;P) before looking at the printout there might be one more dead body on the count at Redrum U right now...

:rolleyes:

I actually figured that part out

Your reference to squinting in the OP seemed to stand out for me. So I tried squinting, then taking off my glasses, then taking off my glass AND squinting, but still no pattern emerged. I suppose I shall try again.

That with fatigued, blurry eyes, the characters shown will look like other characters that make more sense together. Also, the overall pattern sorta looks like a gun, but it's a BIG leap from a visual pattern to suspecting murder, so we'll rule that out for now.

Unfortunately, I just can't seem to see the intended message.

YET...

That with fatigued, blurry eyes, the characters shown will look like other characters that make more sense together. Also, the overall pattern sorta looks like a gun, but it's a BIG leap from a visual pattern to suspecting murder, so we'll rule that out for now.

Unfortunately, I just can't seem to see the intended message.

YET...

Now that you said that...

It does look like a submachinegun...

I'll keep trying.

Edited by Skywalker

I tried looking at it like I would a "magic eye puzzle," but still can't get anything out of it. you get a few more numbers in the spaces but if you don't know what the numbers mean, it still doesn't make sense.

tried looking at it upside-down and sideways, too.

maybe her friend was diabetic? it sounds like the friend and the cluprit were sitting down for a sugar high.

or maybe it was her birthday and didn't want to get another day older.

but cake and tea doesn't sound like a life or death situation to me.

should i be thinking vertically or horizontally?

Good question...;)

both ;P

I actually figured that part out
Your reference to squinting in the OP seemed to stand out for me. So I tried squinting, then taking off my glasses, then taking off my glass AND squinting, but still no pattern emerged. I suppose I shall try again.

Wow...that's a clever interpretation...but actually...the reference to the eyes being red and tired was part of the running joke about procrastinating and all-nighters ;P

My hint was referring to the prior activity...(and I think some ppl have picked up on where that leads...)

maybe her friend was diabetic? it sounds like the friend and the cluprit were sitting down for a sugar high.

or maybe it was her birthday and didn't want to get another day older.

but cake and tea doesn't sound like a life or death situation to me.

Lol...it'll all make sense when you figure out the message ;P

Ok, the prior activity was writing a paper...

I´m still trying to see something...

& 1010 0100 1001 1001&
0001 0101 0011 0100
0010 0000 1001 1000
0010 1001^ 1000^
0101& 0011# 1001& 0011
0110 0011
1001 0000 0000
1001 0011
0010 0011 0010 1001 1001^

Still a mystery...

Edited by Skywalker

Ok, the prior activity was writing a paper...

I´m still trying to see something...

& 1010 0100 1001 1001&
0001 0101 0011 0100
0010 0000 1001 1000
0010 1001^ 1000^
0101& 0011# 1001& 0011
0110 0011
1001 0000 0000
1001 0011
0010 0011 0010 1001 1001^

Still a mystery...

Whoa...binary...clever, but not what I was getting at...lol...you're actually making it more complicated than it needs to be...but you're right about the previous activity...and it was quite a long paper... ;)

*Not a magic eye puzzle* Seeing won't help...doing might ;P

Edited by Yoruichi-san

In a word processor document like the victim did? (not on BD ;P)

Remember...it's not about seeing...it's about doing...;)

Okay, I've been reading this thread and trying to come up with solutions. Haven't posted anything because...well, frankly, everything I've thought of sucks. <_< But I do have a question: There's a difference between typing it out on a word-processor and typing it out on brainden? is the solution found through the word processor? :huh: