BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

Alright, so being half-Schrodinger's Cat, Y-san isn't content just playing DDR. Her wandering mind wanders onto the question of: How much total (ground) distance does she actually move during a song?

post-7969-1228353245.jpg

Her DDR Pad (as shown in the pic), is 33in by 33in. It's evenly divided into 9 squares. Assuming that she steps in the exact middle of each arrow, that she starts with both feet in the middle but never return her feet to the middle between steps. Also assume she belongs to the playing style school where you always alternate feet unless it's the same arrow, i.e. if the previous step was with the left foot, the next step is with the right foot, then left, then right, etc...unless it's the same arrow twice or more in a row, in which case you step on it with the same foot as before.

What's the total distance she moves playing this song?

post-7969-1228355423.jpg

Edited by Yoruichi-san

1 answer to this question

I'm going to assume I'm standing behind you watching you play DDR( I wouldn't want to be in front of the TV). Each foot can travel one of four distances horizontally every time 0, 11, 15.556, and 22. I came up with the

Left foot moves

0 - 9x

11 - 1x

15.556 - 18x

22 - 2x

Total - 335

Right foot moves

0 - 7x

11 - 1x

15.556 - 18x

22 - 3x

Total - 357