BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Ball in a Hole

rookie1ja

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about doing one of the following: 1) Use a vacuum cleaner to suck ball out; 2) Affix some sort of adhesive (e.g., chewing gum, double-stick tape, etc.) to the end of a stick or rod and use it to "'grab" ball; or 3) Since a ping pong ball floats, why not fill the pipe with water and let buoyancy lift the ball out (remember, the pipe is sealed at the bottom).

madoyle

come on guys or gals there is two things to do you can use a stick with tape on the end too pick it up or you can fill the pipe up with water until the ball comes out it is a ping pong ball the didnt say it was weighted

Ball in a Hole - Back to the Logic Puzzles

A table tennis ball (= ping pong ball) fell into a tight deep pipe (amendment: eg. 30 cm long, buried in concrete pavement - having firm metal bottom, only 1 cm of the pipe is above the ground - so it can not be moved). The pipe was only a bit wider then the ball, so you can not use your hand. How would you take it out, with no damage?

Edit:

There is another more straight forward wording (as posted by oysterboy22)

You are stuck in a room with no windows and no doors.

There is a hole in the floor about a foot deep (ok, half a meter for you non-americans) and just wider than the diameter of a table tennis ball. There is a table tennis ball at the bottom of the hole.

You have a fork, a wrench, and a long, thin plastic wire.

How do you get the ball out of the hole?

Ball in a Hole - solution

All you have to do is pour some water into the pipe so that the ball swims up on the surface.

Edit:

oysterboy22's wording solution: none of those random things are going to help you, but the whole point is the person thinks they have to use the tools, while what they really have to do is urinate in the hole.

Tennis ball won't be of much use if you urinate on it ...or will it be?.... ping-pong ball should do fine

If the bottom of the pipe is sealed, why not just fill it up with water?? Ping-pong balls are quite bouyant?

Then again, if you are stuck in a room with no way out and no access to water, I guess this wouldn't be possible. And if that was the case, the ping-pong ball would be the last thing I would worry about. Frst would be, "How the heck do I get out of this room?!??!" =)

If the bottom of the pipe is sealed, why not just fill it up with water?? Ping-pong balls are quite bouyant?

Then again, if you are stuck in a room with no way out and no access to water, I guess this wouldn't be possible. And if that was the case, the ping-pong ball would be the last thing I would worry about. Frst would be, "How the heck do I get out of this room?!??!" =)

Why wouldn't it be possible without access to water? Couldn't you simply pee in the pipe?

BoilingOil

Why wouldn't it be possible without access to water? Couldn't you simply pee in the pipe?

BoilingOil

Yeah, you are right! I didn't think about that. But, then I wouldn't really care about getting the ball back after that. LOL

Yeah, you are right! I didn't think about that. But, then I wouldn't really care about getting the ball back after that. LOL

Neither would I, actually, but maybe someone who felt a really urgent need to play ping-pong, if this was their last or only ball

FlowingPee

yeah, but at that point, would you really want the ball back?

plus, you'd have to have a pretty big bladder to fill up that tube with pee.

Granted! I wouldn't want that ball anymore.

But did I say you had to fill the pipe in one go?

SmellingWater