BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Ball in a Hole

rookie1ja

Just to put this out there

theres like 48 pages of people saying fill the hole with water, use a vaccum, and use double sided tape.

sorry if i missed this but why wouldn't a vaccum work if the bottom is sealed.

and even without seeing it in the problem the pipe must have an end or the ball would fall farther than a a few feet

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to put this out there

theres like 48 pages of people saying fill the hole with water, use a vaccum, and use double sided tape.

sorry if i missed this but why wouldn't a vaccum work if the bottom is sealed.

and even without seeing it in the problem the pipe must have an end or the ball would fall farther than a a few feet

you can search in each topic - check the bottom left hand side ... eg. I searched for "vacuum" and found (amongst others) martini's post ...

Won't work. You can create a partial vacuum, but there would need to be air flow from the other side for the ball to be pushed out.

The question specifies a "TABLE" tennis ball. This kind of ball is totally smooth so there will not be any fuzz to hook (as mentioned above). The ball is, however light weight and filled with air so I would simply pour water into the hole and the ball would float to the surface! ;)

if its a ping pog ball you can probably blow air across the hole to get it out. Uses the same principal as an air brush. if its a tennis ball through i would tie the wrench to the fork then throw the contraption down the hole whilst holding on to te string. in hopes of peircing the tennis ball, and reeling it back up.

well i think that you would fill the pipe with water if it was a ping pong ball then it would float on the top of the water adn so if you fill it to the top with water the ball will be resting on the top of the water just level with the ground and you can then just pick it up and take it.....simple. lol

Adele :P

for the second puzzle:

well what if you dont want to pee yet there is no water in there, i think you just have to tie the fork in the end of the wrench with the plastic wire and slowly take the ball with the end of the fork

if the ball is slightly smaller than the pipe, it allows air to flow under the ball---soo if you blow into the pipe, the ball should rise up.

Try using an egg or a golf ball in a shot glass and blow on the top of it----it pops out/spins/flips over. It's also a pretty cool trick :D

I thought we just keep pouring water to the hole. As the ping pong ball will float on top of the water, once the pipe is filled with water, the ball will come out.

Right?