BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Ball in a Hole

rookie1ja

hopefully the little chinese guy at the bottom of the pipe (a.k.a. cylinder) returns your dynamically aimed serve. then no harm no foul. failure to do so will ultimately lead to his watery death!

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A vacuum -neither built up by a vacuum cleaner nor by ex-wives- would not work because it would decrease air pressure as well under as above the pingpong-ball.

Fortunately, ping-pong balls don't need water to float. If there is no water at hand, the goal should be to -at least temporarily- increase air pressure (instead of building up water pressure) under the ping-pong ball.

Assuming that the ball does not wholly seal the pipe: Try blowing against the tube walls! The moving air would follow the tube walls, go down under the ball, building up pressure and lift up the ball. I think it would not need much blower-power, just a little bit more than the amount of air escaping near the ball.

there's another brainteaser like this one, but it's a ping pong ball and you're in a sealed room. in that one, they give you all sorts of items, string, sticks, etc. and ask how do you get it out and i like that solution:

PEE IN THE HOLE!!

I have an answer that is just as simple, but a little more complex to understand WHY it works. First of all, trying to use a vacuum would not work, because it would require air being able to be added below the ball. BUT< some vacuum cleaners have the options to blow. Or, you coulld use a leaf blower. What you do is direct the air stream perpendicular to the top of the hole. (as if you were blowing a bottle like a musical instrument). Then, the increased speed of the air, will reduce pressure, and the tennis ball will rise! This concept is very similar to why airplanes fly. It creates a pressure gradient, and as you might know, things move from high to low pressure, and therefore, it will travel against gravity! (Thank you AP Physics!)

I would drink a lot of water and wait to get a real urge to pee. I would then do this into the pipe - causing the ball to rise!

lol which balls r u talkin abt dude ??