BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Man in the Elevator

rookie1ja

What didnt make sense to me is that he could only go to the 7th floor. With that in mind, elevator buttons are usually in even rows so why the 7th floor and not the 6th or higher?? Anyone? I think I have a pretty valid point....

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well your hint of rainy day causes this answer:

Mostly, the man may be short and he could not press the keys above than for 7th floor.

In a rainy day, he can have an umbrella, which will be useful to press any key.

I knew the answer without even looking at it so don't ascuse me of anything! When it's not raining he can on reach up to the button that says 7th floor, but on rainy days, HE CAN USE HIS UMBERELLA TO PRESS THE 10TH FLOOR BUTTON!

I am sorry but lateral thinking puzzles should be based on some practical reality.

There is not a single midget in existence that wouldn't start carrying a freakin' pencil with him so that he can press that freakin' elevator button. That is BIG BS. I apologize for being rude. I am mostly just playing around, although, I belive that the point is valid.

lol

Actually, this isn't logical reasoning, this is lateral reasoning.

Lateral reasoning is when you use factors that are outside the initial problem to solve it.

Just saying that there's a difference, Lateral reasoning is obviously more useful in the real world than Logical reasoning because it offers more solutions and also allows to choose different solutions.

For example : I owe a friend 5 euros, but I've only got one euro in my pocket. How can I repay him?

Using logical reasoning there is no solution, but with lateral thinking there are loads of solutions.

- "Let me get to an ATM.'

- "I'll pay you tomorrow, I got some cash at home."

- "Let me get you a drink next time we go out and call it quits?"

- RUN! (I don't like that guy anyway.)

Also in lateral reason there is no right or wrong answer, whereas usually in logical reasoning there is only on correct answer (sometimes a few more, but these are generally just rearrangements of the correct answer.)

My guess, as always just a guess unless I get it right. He must be weatherman, who predicts clear skies. When it rains, or someone is in the elevator he tries to avoid notice and retribution. On the other days, he visits his mistress on the 7th floor and walks the three flights to avoid detection, and explain why he is sweaty and out of breath and give him an excuse to rush into the shower. The cad!!! Not as good as the dwarf

MORE PC TERM
and pencil theory but still somewhat imaginative I think. Enjoy, discuss, argue, point fingers etc. etc...

J.J.

This is definitely the RIGHT ANSWER!

If the girl he's been stalking is not in the elevator then she's probably sunbathing on her balcony and he can climb the fire escape stairs outside and pass by to get a quick glimpse of her on the 7th floor.

OR, if no one's in the elevator then no one will see him get off on the 7th and question him. No one likes to be questioned when it comes to sneaking a peak at a sunbathing girl.

She never sunbathes when its raining.

• 2 weeks later...
The Man in the Elevator - Back to the Logic Puzzles

A man lives on the tenth floor of a building. Every morning he takes the elevator down to the lobby and leaves the building. In the evening, he gets into the elevator, and, if there is someone else in the elevator - or if it was raining that day - he goes back to his floor directly. Otherwise, he goes to the seventh floor and walks up three flights of stairs to his apartment. Can you explain why?

(This is probably the best known and most celebrated of all lateral thinking logic puzzles. It is a true classic. Although there are many possible solutions which fit the initial conditions, only the canonical answer is truly satisfying.)

The Man in the Elevator - solution

The man is a midget. He can't reach the upper elevator buttons, but he can ask people to push them for him. He can also push them with his umbrella.

Noooo! It's because he has a medical condition called and his doctor said that if he was planning to go to his apartment directly or had an umbrella and it was a rainy day then he was allowed go to his apartment directly. But if the criteria isn't met, he must walk from the 7th floor or else he will die by his condition of veryverystrangeandweirdill-phemia!

Beware of veryverystrangeandweirdill-phemia, it may even get to you!

You would have to assume that the buttons were installed to where he couldn't reach the upper floor buttons. How can one say that he can only reach the seventh floor button? You would actually have to know how tall he is and at which height each button is located. A midget is defined to be a person with a height of 50 inches or less.

Ive heard this one before

Hes a midget and when its raining he can reach the 10th floor button with his umbrella

otherwise hes too short and walks from the 7th

maybe he was too short to reach higher than the 7th button and if someone was in the elevator with him he could ask them to press it for him. and if it had been raining he would have his umbrella with him so he could reach higher with the umbrella

• 2 weeks later...

Both the conditions

1.someone else is with him.

2.it is raining outside.

are important.

If he is alone he will go till the seventh floor and then walk the rest of the way.

This means only when he is accompanied with someone(or its raining outside) he can go directly to his 10th floor apartment.

This has two possibilities

1. He is very sociable(Party animal!) and invites anyone/everyone to his apartment for a party.

2. He cannot go to his place if he is alone.(not equipped)

Assuming the lift push-buttons start from 1 to 10 from bottom upwards, the answer can be,

He has a disability( in a wheelchair or short in stature !)

in which case the other person will punch the 10 th floor button. In case of rain we assume he will carry an umbrella by which he might be able to punch the key.