BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

The Mensa Town Council has just created the world's largest digital display in the town square.

Thirty-six digits were placed -- logically, of course -- in a huge 6x6 grid.

Last night *gasp* four of the digits were stolen.

6 4 7 8 3 7

8 2 5 1 5 6

3 - 8 6 4 8

8 6 5 3 7 6

5 4 7 - - 5

- 8 6 4 7 8

The owner of the display found your Digital Supply ad in the yellow pages and called for your help.

You arrive; and, after a moment's thought, you pull four digits from your bag and begin the restoration project.

Which four digits did you select?

Where did you place them?

Why?

23 answers to this question

6 4 7 8 3 7

8 2 5 1 5 6

3 -7- 8 6 4 8

8 6 5 3 7 6

5 4 7 -8- -2- 5

-7- 8 6 4 7 8

The posts above explained how we got to the numbers. I placed them where I did based on this logic: I didn't see any duplicate digits either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. This is the only sequence that continues that pattern.

6 4 7 8 3 7

8 2 5 1 5 6

3 -7- 8 6 4 8

8 6 5 3 7 6

5 4 7 -8- -2- 5

-7- 8 6 4 7 8

The posts above explained how we got to the numbers. I placed them where I did based on this logic: I didn't see any duplicate digits either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. This is the only sequence that continues that pattern.

duplicate.

I would take that to mean two occurrences in a row/col/diag.

But that's unavoidable.

So ... what's your rule, exactly?

duplicate.

I would take that to mean two occurrences in a row/col/diag.

But that's unavoidable.

So ... what's your rule, exactly?

It's probably fair to assume that by "duplicate" they meant "adjacent." That's the reasoning I used to get the same answer.

6 4 7 8 3 7

8 2 5 1 5 6

37 8 6 4 8

8 6 5 3 7 6

5 4 78 7 5

2 8 6 4 7 8

Because when you look at the numbers one at a time, different numbers are also adjacent to certain numbers.

1 = 3,4,5,6,7,8

2 = 3,4,5,6,7,8

3 = 4,5,6,7,8

4 = 5,6,7,8

5 = 6,7,8

6 = 7,8

7 = 8

8 = anything?

And so if you put the numbers in the way I did, it works.

6 4 7 8 3 7

8 2 5 1 5 6

37 8 6 4 8

8 6 5 3 7 6

5 4 78 7 5

2 8 6 4 7 8

Because when you look at the numbers one at a time, different numbers are also adjacent to certain numbers.

1 = 3,4,5,6,7,8

2 = 3,4,5,6,7,8

3 = 4,5,6,7,8

4 = 5,6,7,8

5 = 6,7,8

6 = 7,8

7 = 8

8 = anything?

And so if you put the numbers in the way I did, it works.

This doesn't work because you say that 1 is adjacent to 7, but you don't say that 7 is adjacent to 1. This isn't possible. 1 and 7 aren't the only instances of this, but you get the point.

The only solution I can see is the one Bonanova already confirmed.

9 in the third row

6, 4 in the fifth row

7 in the last row

1. The sum of the first four numbers in a row will total the sum of the last four numbers in a row.

2. The sum of the first three rows will total the sum of the last three row.

Since each number in the grid has the corresponding nubmerof occurrences, the missing numbers are 2,7,7,8.

The order of placement in the grid (placing from top to bottom and left to right) is 7, 2, 8, 7. This keeps identical numbers from being adjacent to one another and at least one 8 in each column.

Woo, I've solved it. Well, depending on what you consider solved. There's about 4/5 pages of stuff, so as to not spam the thread, I'll put them all in spoilers. :)

Also, heh, proof I can't count. I meant "the 8 spots around it" not 6. But yeah, anyway:

At first I didn't know what you meant by close-packed circles. I experimented a bit with the 6x6 grid, which got me nowhere. It.. really didn't work. Because there are more 8's than any other number (by itself), I started with that.

DSC00303-1.jpg

Then I started working with the circles, and noticed that no way in hell were 6x6 rows of circles going to get me anywhere. The green paper clip represents an 8. The red represent all the places I can no longer put an 8 if the 8 is placed there. The area outlined in blue is the area we have to work with. (Ignore the squiggly circles. I was trying out different ways of doing stuff and didn't feel like redrawing.

DSC00305.jpg

So I got frustrated, and for the simpleness of it, I made the circles with no adjacent numbers being the same. Easy, fun, yeah.

DSC00306.jpg

Okay, so why does it have to be 6x6? It doesn't. These are my attempts with 1x36 (works), 2x18 (works, but didn't try it past the 8s) 3x12 (doesn't work), 4x9 (almost worked! I thought it had for a moment, but I messed up), and 6x6 (...).

DSC00307-1.jpg

After seeing how the 4x9 almost worked, I decided to modify it a bit. (No one said they had to be equal rows)

DSC00308-1.jpg

..and

Sort of. It depends on whether you consider it cheating or not.

DSC00309-1.jpg

Edited by Izzy

Since each number in the grid has the corresponding nubmerof occurrences, the missing numbers are 2,7,7,8.

The order of placement in the grid (placing from top to bottom and left to right) is 7, 2, 8, 7. This keeps identical numbers from being adjacent to one another and at least one 8 in each column.

i got this too.

Woo, I've solved it.

Then I started working with the circles, and noticed that no way in hell were 6x6 rows of circles going to get me anywhere. The green paper clip represents an 8. The red represent all the places I can no longer put an 8 if the 8 is placed there. The area outlined in blue is the area we have to work with. (Ignore the squiggly circles. I was trying out different ways of doing stuff and didn't feel like redrawing.

DSC00305.jpg

Sort of. It depends on whether you consider it cheating or not.

DSC00309-1.jpg

Your spoiler 2 is more restrictive than just the 6 touching circles I had imagined.

Relaxing the requirement to just the 6 touching circles, your solution could be

neatened up to 5 rows of 7 7 8 7 7

8 7 5 6 7 8 5

.6 4 8 3 4 6 7

7 3 2 7 1 8 5 4

.6 8 6 5 2 7 3

8 5 7 4 8 6 8

Maybe 6x6 even.

Nice job. ;)

Your spoiler 2 is more restrictive than just the 6 touching circles I had imagined.

Relaxing the requirement to just the 6 touching circles, your solution could be

neatened up to 5 rows of 7 7 8 7 7

8 7 5 6 7 8 5

.6 4 8 3 4 6 7

7 3 2 7 1 8 5 4

.6 8 6 5 2 7 3

8 5 7 4 8 6 8

Maybe 6x6 even.

Nice job. ;)

Now I'm confused. Is that the solution? That rearranges the 6X6 grid as laid out by the town council and the original number sequence. How would I (as the technician) repair the board to its original state if I rearrange everything? :blink:

Now I'm confused. Is that the solution? That rearranges the 6X6 grid as laid out by the town council and the original number sequence. How would I (as the technician) repair the board to its original state if I rearrange everything? :blink:

Hehe. No, it isn't. If you redirect somewhere on the second page, you'll see what we were doing. It was something completely unrelated. The answer should be in the 10th post or so.