BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Ball

rookie1ja

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, technically speaking, to throw the ball straight up and to let it orbit the planet once first are one and the same. In both cases, you accelerate the ball away from gravity without achieving escape velocity, then gravity pulls it back around in an orbit. Standing on Earth and throwing it straight up, you have a very eccentric orbit that crosses paths with the planet's surface--meaning it'll come out of orbit very rapidly before it actually makes a complete revolution--but you are essentially doing the same thing either way.

Also, technically speaking the ball hits billions of air molecules on the way up, but the scenario would work the same without air. If you want to allow contact with air, you could spin it really, really fast, and make it come back to you like a boomerang, or do like Clarinetman suggested and throw it into a stream of moving air. I've actually shot arrows at an angle away from me so they came back to me with the wind, but I was still relying a lot on gravity.

Or you could have a transforming ball that converts to a flying machine after you throw it, like those little bombs the Green Goblin uses in Spiderman!

Whoa, dude, that was complicated! I read that and i think uhhhhhhh.... until it gets to the spiderman part at least!

Three answers

1.) You throw the ball at a hill and it rolls back down

2.) The ball never hits anything so you throw it straight up

3.) Or, taking the puzzle entirely seriously, the ball never hits anything so it never hits the ground therefore going clear aroung the planet. :P

Ball - Back to the Logic Puzzles

How can you throw a ball as hard as you can and have it come back to you, even if it doesn't hit anything, there is nothing attached to it, and no one else catches or throws it?

Ball - solution

Throw the ball straight up in the air.

Thats right. Because what goes up, must come down. It is the law of gravity![/font]

Ball - Back to the Logic Puzzles

How can you throw a ball as hard as you can and have it come back to you, even if it doesn't hit anything, there is nothing attached to it, and no one else catches or throws it?

Ball - solution

Throw the ball straight up in the air.

throw it straight up or is there more to it?

Definently. You gotta love that gravity. You chuck the ball straight up, it flies away from you, then gravity starts pulling it back down. It fulfills all the requirements. Nobody else touches it. The sky shouldn't be full of things for the ball to hit into (unless you're in the middle of a snowball fight) and there's nothing attached to it.

Did you ever regret asking a question

I've wasted 5 minutes of my life reading all these theories.

Here's a question for ya. How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

I'll tell you later

I´m still waiting