BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Death Note Mafia: Rematch

Yoruichi-san

DEATH NOTE MAFIA: Rematch

The Death Note Holders win if all of the Task Force is dead. They cannot kill the Shinigami. The Death Note Holders have a total of 2 Death Notes and they know each other and are in communication. However, in order to kill someone, they must know their True Name. They can write one True Name of a player in each Death Note each night, they can choose whether the player will die that night or the night after. If they choose to write that the player dies the following night, they may "manipulate" the player by choosing who the player will vote for the next day. The vote will be changed secretly by me when I do the final tally. The DNH have priority, so they may choose to cancel the non-information receiving Night actions of the True Name written into a Death Note. The DNH may also choose to write the method of death, as along as it follows within the rules of the Death Note.

Light: Holds a Death Note. If Misa and Mikami both die, any night, he may choose to trade for the Shinigami Eyes, which allow their owner to see the True Name of one player each night. However, the trade is half of his remaining life...that is, there will be a 50% chance of his identity being revealed in the Night Post every night starting from the night the trade is made.

Misa: Holds a Death Note. Is known by Rem. She starts out with the Shinigami Eyes, so there is a 50% chance of her identity being revealed in every Night Post except the 1st one. Misa can not be lynched as long as Rem is alive. If Misa wins the lynch vote then Rem will step in and save her by writing the name of L, or a Task Force Member of Rem's choosing, in his Death Note, which results in Rem's death as well.

Mikami: He worships Kira as God. He will do anything for his God, including making the trade for Shinigami Eyes if Misa dies before him. If Misa or Light dies before him, he gains hold of a Death Note.

The Shinigami each have their own Death Note. However, they must choose wisely whether or not to use them. They have Shinigami Eyes because they are Shinigami and hence did not have to do the trade. Each night each of them choose someone to see the true name of with their Shinigami Eyes. Ryuk can kill on even nights and Rem can kill on odd nights, except the first one. The DNH have priority, they write the names of their chosen victims first, so if the Shinigami choose a person that the DNH have already written, the Shinigami Death Note is ineffective. They also each have their own win condition. Ryuk is in it for his own amusement while Rem is in love with Misa. Cannot kill the DNH.

Ryuk: Wins if he is able to be the one to end Light's life by writing Light's name in his Death Note. There are two ways he can do this: (1) if he and Light are the only ones left alive he will write Light's name in his Death Note and kill him or (2) if Light is lynched and Ryuk is still in the game, Ryuk will write Light's name in his Death Note instead. He knows the identity of Light.

Rem: Wins if Misa is alive at the end of the game. Knows Misa, and Misa cannot be lynched while Rem is alive. If Misa wins the lynch vote then Rem will step in and save her by writing the name of L, or a Task Force member of Rem's choosing if L is dead, in his Death Note, which results in Rem's death as well.

The Task Force wins if the Death Note Holders and the Shinigami are dead/gone. Here are their True Names:

L: A resourceful and intelligent person, he has a plethora of abilities at his disposal. He may choose one action or none each Night. However, since this is a game for their lives, each ability comes with a risk, that is, a % chance that his identity will be revealed to the Death Note Holders secretly that Night(he does not know):

See True Name of a player - 80% chance of being revealed.

See the last vote of a role – 60% chance of being revealed.

See action last taken by a role – 40% chance of being revealed.

Get a random Task Force Member name – 20% chance of being revealed.

Watari: L's retainer. Privy to L's secrets, including L's identity. Acts as L's public face. As long as Watari is alive, L may PM me a message to put in the Night Post. Once in the entire game, Watari may use his influence to save one person from being lynched. Must PM me before the Day ends.

Naomi Misora: Armed with the information he left her, she seeks justice for her fiancé who was killed by Kira. Every Day she receives information from one who was killed by Kira. After every Night Post and before the end of the Day the players died by having the DNH write their names in a Death Note may PM me a message to send to Naomi. If more than one player is killed by the DNH in the Night Post, then she chooses which one to receive a message from.

Chief Yagami: Once held a Death Note. May choose at any time to trade for Shinigami Eyes (which is an anytime action, and does not count as a Night action), which will allow him to see the True Name of a player every night, however, there is a 50% chance his identity will be revealed in the Night Post every night from the Night the trade is made.

Aizawa: He is a wary individual. He can lay little "traps". Each Night he chooses a player to "trap" by guessing who that player will vote for in the Day. If his guess is correct, then the "trap" is sprung and he learns the True Name of the player.

Matsuda: He is bright-eyed and optimistic and naïve…just the kind of person the Shinigami can't stand. He can choose one player a night to give an apple to and if that person is chosen by a Shinigami to kill that night the Shinigami will eat the apple instead and the player will be saved.

Mogi: Strong, quiet, and reserved, he is highly skilled at tailing. Every Day he may choose a player to follow for the coming Night (must PM me before the Day Post), and if they die that Night he will learn the name of the player who wrote them into their Death Note after the Day Post. Cannot follow the same person two Nights in a row. The following counts as a Night action.

Aiber: A professional con-man who works for L. Every night he can choose to disguise himself as another player. If he is checked by the Shinigami Eyes, he appears as the True Name of that player.

Wedy: A former thief in the hire of L, she has a knack for planting bugs. Every Day she may choose two True Names to facilitate contact between the following Night, i.e. one True Name may PM me a message which I will PM to the True Name. Wedy chooses which True Name is to send the PM and which True Name is to receive it.

Mellow and Near: they are L's successors. As long as L is alive, they have no abilities. Once L dies, they each inherit L's abilities. However, since they can surpass L when they work together, if both choose the same ability and same target the chance of being revealed gets cut in half for each, otherwise the chance to be revealed is the same as for L.

***Things to remember:***

The things that are guaranteed to be in the Night Post are the things stated in the role descriptions, as well as the name of those players who were written into the Death Notes to die that Night, and if the kill is successful, the details of the death may be chosen by the DNH. Anything else is up to creative license on my part, so don't read too much into it.

The simplistic "aha, a baddie, let's get him!" mentality is bad for this game. I trust you can figure out why ;P.

Shinigami King: Y

Roster:

1)Brandonb

2)Itachi-san

3)Sinistral

4)dawh

5)foolonthehill

6)Cherry Lane

7)Joe's Student

8)Kat

9)SomeGuy

10)Rene83

11)Mekal

12)Sparanda

13)Star_tiger

14)Prof. Templeton

15)Prince Marth

16)Ben Law

Days are 24 hrs. Nights are 24 hrs max to get in all the necessary actions.

I will PM the roles shortly. I am working on the intro, but I have to leave for awhile, so I will post it later tonight.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here we go...

INTRO

Successful Drafts

In a secluded corner of the abysmal expanse of the Shinigami world, perched languidly upon a throne constructed entirely of interwoven blackened bones was the Shinigami King. A cracked skull mask encased her entire head, and her figure was swathed in heavy black robes. Beyond her feet, bright images from the human world flashed in and out with the waves of her slender hand. Bored, she leaned her head on her fist and muttered, “Nothing good on today…”

A form emerged from the shadows and into the light emanating from the other-worldly images. It was tall, lanky and had pale, bluish-grey skin. Black cloth covered its body and black feathers stuck out here and there.

The Shinigami King turned her head towards the intruder and asked in a clear, strong voice, “Hello Ryuk, did you want something?”

Ryuk nodded and sidled up to the throne, wearing an over-exaggerated expression of suffering. He looked up at the Shinigami King with his best impression of puppy dog eyes (which on the big lug was a look, to tell the truth, that would have scared the eyes off any puppy) and held out his hands pleadingly towards his liege. “I don’t know what to do,” he said in his best impression of a whimper (which in his hoarse, raspy voice was a sound that would have raised goose bumps on the toughest warriors), “I’ve lost it…I’ve lost my Death Note.”

Feigning sympathy, the Shinigami King nodded encouragingly. Gaining momentum, Ryuk continued, “I don’t know what happened…I sat it down next to me and the next moment it was gone…maybe it was stolen by another Shinigami…yeah…you know Gelus…he’s always so…well, jealous!”

“That’s terrible!” gasped the Shinigami King, her voice laden with artificially sweet tones. “Well, we can’t let you go without a Death Note! You have to steal life to survive!” Having spoken such, she unfolded a layer of her dark cloak, revealing several rows of black notebooks strapped to the interior.

Ryuk nodded eagerly and held out his hands. But the Shinigami King shook her skull-covered head. “No, no…these won’t do…” she murmured. Using her other hand, she unfolded a second layer of cloth, revealing more black notebooks, this time with characters in different languages printed in silver on the fronts. After some hard scrutiny, she shook her head again. “Well…I guess it will have to be that one…” She unfolded yet another layer of cloth. This time, there was only one notebook. On the cover were lettered the English letters: DEATH NOTE.

“What’s so special about this Death Note?” queried Ryuk after the Shinigami King set the notebook in his hands. He held the notebook and turned it this way and that, studying it curiously.

“Oh…” A bemused smile appeared on the Shinigami King’s face (yes, the skull mask actually smiled…don’t question the mystique of the Shinigami King! ;P). “It’s the one a certain pirate used to take over the world…in alternative timeline…before I rewound time…”

Ryuk looked confused, but only shrugged. “Well…uh, thanks…I got to go…got some, uh, catching up to do on my life-stealing…yeah…that’s it…” He was anxious to make a hasty retreat before the Shinigami King could change her mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a cool autumn day in the human world. The red, orange, and yellow leaves dripped off the branches of the trees and wafted leisurely down to the ground. The humans themselves traversed mindlessly along intersecting lines on the gray paved pathways that they called “streets”.

Underneath a mammoth oak tree, unseen to human eyes, squatted Ryuk, scratching his head with one large thin hand. He watched the humans pass by, intent on the menial drone of their everyday lives. Ryuk tsked. These creatures were all so boring. He glanced longingly at the Death Note that lay besides him. How ever was he going to find a suitable holder?

While Ryuk was lamenting the banal state of the human world, a large truck drove by on the street. On the side of the truck was painted a giant apple, which caught Ryuk’s eye and brought him out of his reverie. He felt drool forming in his over-sized mouth. Aaapppppllllleeee…..Ryuk’s hulking body began drifting in the direction the truck had gone.

A few minutes later, a young man with light brown hair strolled by the tree. Having acute vision, the young man caught site of the dark notebook left underneath the oak tree. He bent down to pick it up. “Death Note?” He murmured to himself. His curiosity aroused, he flipped open the cover to the first page. He began to read, “Rules of the Death Note…”

At the front desk in the lobby of the Investigations Building, a pretty dark haired woman was arguing with the receptionist. “But I need to see L!” she blurted out, grasping the ring on the chain around her neck tightly. Her eyes betrayed a deep sorrow, but were now filled with determination. “I have important information to give him!”

But the receptionist just shook her head. “I’m sorry,” she said in a nasal voice. “You don’t have an appointment. L doesn’t see strangers without an appointment.”

The dark haired woman took a deep breath. “Alright. If that’s what it comes down to…” her voice was bathed in conviction. “I’m not a stranger. I’m Naomi Misora. I worked with L on a previous case involving a serial killer in Los Angeles.” Seeing the blank look the receptionist was giving her, she continued “My fiance, Ray Penber, was murdered by Kira. Before he died, he left me important information which could help lead to the apprehension of Kira.” Still no reaction from the receptionist. Naomi sighed and reached into her purse. She pulled out a bill and handed it to the receptionist. The receptionist smiled, glanced sideways, and snatched up the bill. She pushed a button, opening the door for Naomi to step through.

On a dark street corner, the figure of a man scuffled along. When he came to under the lamp, he paused. Casting furtive glances left and right, he pulled his brown jacket around him more tightly. Then he dashed into the shadows once again.

A few moments later, a second figure appeared. The light from the street lamp illuminated his features, revealing a strong, set jaw, and observant, clear eyes. The man’s movements affirmed his expertise in the art of tailing. As he glided by, there was a brief flash of his badge in the light, and the letters could be read: Mogi. Then he was gone without a trail.

The phone rang, sending reverberations throughout the cluttered room. The television was on, tuned into the channel for Sakura TV. Various papers and tools were scattered on the table in front of the couch. On the third ring, the blonde man sitting on the couch picked up the phone. “Hello, this is Eraldo Coil…oh, it’s you L…” he wedged the phone under his ear so that he could pour himself a drink. He lifted the remote control and pointed it towards the television to turn down the volume. “No…I don’t have anything going on right now…why do you ask?” He listened for a moment. “Kira, huh? Yeah…I heard about it on the news…sounds interesting.” He smiled. “Of course I’m up for it. I wouldn’t be a master of disguise if I weren’t.”

Finally Aiber put down the phone. His eyes fell disinterestedly at the television screen. A dark haired man with glasses was talking, lauding the greatness of Kira. The man’s nametag read: Teru Mikami. What a nut, thought Aiber. Taking up the remote, he turned the TV off. He picked up his drink from the table and reclined into the couch cushions. But battling against Kira was going to be fun. Aiber couldn’t wait to get started. This is definitely going to be interesting.

Edited by Yoruichi-san

***Oh, another tip I want to add:

Pay attention not only to your role, but to the possible interactions b/w roles. That's a big part of how this game was set up. Remember...apart you are weak, together you are strong...and be willing to make sacrifices for the team ;P.

And activity is highly encouraged...to facilitate interactions as well as for informational purposes...which is important.

Okay...for certain reasons I need to do some reshuffling...so the Night will last slightly longer...

********************IMPORTANT: THE ONLY ONES WITH BTSC ARE THE DEATH NOTE HOLDERS, LIGHT, MISA, AND MIKAMI. NO ONE ELSE MAY CONTACT ANYONE ELSE REGARDING THIS GAME.***************************************************************************

If I don't PM you, you're still the True Name you were originally.

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Wow...I really do feel like I'm secluded in the abysmal expanse of the Shinigami world...

If you're talking about no one talking on the thread, it's probably because a lot of people aren't sure if the game has started yet...especially with your prior notice. :P

I would expect that most people are strategizing and waiting for you to give the final "The Game Has Begun!" message.

If you're talking about no one talking on the thread, it's probably because a lot of people aren't sure if the game has started yet...especially with your prior notice. :P

I would expect that most people are strategizing and waiting for you to give the final "The Game Has Begun!" message.

Hmmm...didn't have the problem with the original DNM...oh well...

The game is afoot! ;P

Night Post will come as soon as I have all the Night Actions...hopefully soon...

Hmmm...didn't have the problem with the original DNM...oh well...

The game is afoot! ;P

Night Post will come as soon as I have all the Night Actions...hopefully soon...

YAY! The game has officially started! I. Luv. Death. Note. So. Much! *runs around like a maniac, hits a wall* Can't wait for the night post! :D

As always, a very well written intro, Yoruichi. I was at an electronics store last week at considered buying some of the Death Note DVD's. I'll have to wait for a sale, they wanted 24 bucks each. :o

Wow, there's Death Note DVD's??? :o:o:o I just read the manga :P

And I luv your intro as well, Y-san! Forgot to mention that in my last post... <_< Luv all the suspense!

Wow, there's Death Note DVD's??? :o:o:o I just read the manga :P

And I luv your intro as well, Y-san! Forgot to mention that in my last post... <_< Luv all the suspense!

Yeah, I only read the manga. I believe Light is called something else in it, it took me a while to figure out who he was :P That reminds me, I gotta go get #7...anyway...HURRY UP AND SEND IN YOUR PM'S TASK FORCE/DNH/DEATH GODS :)

<(^-^)>

Edit: Oh right, manga they're death gods. I mean Shinigami :)

Edited by Kathleen

Yeah, I only read the manga. I believe Light is called something else in it, it took me a while to figure out who he was :P That reminds me, I gotta go get #7...anyway...HURRY UP AND SEND IN YOUR PM'S TASK FORCE/DNH/DEATH GODS :)

<(^-^)>

Edit: Oh right, manga they're death gods. I mean Shinigami :)

I like death gods better...Shinigami sounds like a type of mushroom :P

Y-san, how many more PM's do you need?

Thanks guys :D As always, it's nice being appreciated ;).

Yeah...there's something to be said about both the manga and the anime. I like the ending to the manga better, and it's more complete than the anime...but the anime uses cinematography (or whatever the animated equivalent is) to build suspense, which is cool too...

Just waiting on some final input now...got most of the Night post ready...

I like death gods better...Shinigami sounds like a type of mushroom :P

Y-san, how many more PM's do you need?

*Cough*...watch who you're calling a mushroom...I do have quite the collections of Death Notes, after all...and I'm not afraid to use them...;P

Edited by Yoruichi-san

*Cough*...watch who you're calling a mushroom...I do have quite the collections of Death Notes, after all...and I'm not afraid to use them...;P

What do you mean? I never said anything about mushrooms and Shinigami! :) *trembles under Shinigami King's glare*

Just a random pointless question, but shouldn't it be Shinigami Queen? ;)

Edited by star_tiger

The simplistic "aha, a baddie, let's get him!" mentality is bad for this game. I trust you can figure out why ;P.

Pay attention not only to your role, but to the possible interactions b/w roles. That's a big part of how this game was set up. Remember...apart you are weak, together you are strong...and be willing to make sacrifices for the team ;P.

This makes the game quite interesting and a little complicated (a lot of logical thinking is required) .. nice :D

NIGHT ONE

If Looks Could Kill…;P

In a small apartment, Light sat in a wooden chair by the dining table, hunched over his Death Note. A good portion of the table was covered with Chinese takeout containers, mostly half-empty. The wrappers from fortune cookies were crumpled and strewn randomly throughout.

Misa, dressed in her usual fashion, bounded up to Light and threw her arms around him, causing his hand to waver on the page. “Light, light!” she cried, happily oblivious to his obvious annoyance at being interrupted.

“Not now, Misa,” Light grunted through the side of his mouth. “I’m working…”

A pout formed on Misa’s face, but she didn’t let go of him. Instead, she leaned her head into his. “Come on…Light-kun is always working…or scheming…”

“Well, that’s because becoming God is a full time job which requires serious overtime.” As he spoke, Light attempted to remove Misa’s arms from his neck.

Misa clung to him obdurately. She brought her mouth to his ear and cooed “aww…Misa Misa thinks Light-kun should take a break…so Misa and Light can…”

She was interrupted by a round of coughing. The welcome (at least to Light) intrusion was caused by the dark haired man with glasses sitting across the table. Straightening up, Misa glared daggers at Mikami. Mikami stuck out his tongue at her. Oh...if looks could kill…;P Misa’s Shinigami eyes glowed red with fury, and Mikami’s name and lifespan (coded in the Shinigami algorithm, of course), appeared in her vision. She reached out her arm for her Death Note, which sat on the table.

“No, Misa,” Light said, putting his hand on her arm without looking up from his work. “For the 13th time, no, you cannot kill Mikami with your Death Note. We still need him.”

“Oh, thank you, God!” Mikami blustered, his eyes shining with admiration for the great Kira. “I am your faithful servant, someone who will worship you and follow your scripture as long as I live.” Casting a triumphant glance at Misa, he added “and I for one can spell ‘Shinigami eyes’ correctly…”

Well, Light had only told Misa she couldn’t kill him with her Death Note…so Misa lunged at Mikami, claws extended. The impact rocked the table, knocking takeout cartons over. One carton which was near where Light had been working teetered precariously, then fell, spilling out its contents.

Light deftly snatched up the Death Note just in time to avoid the catastrophe. Then he noticed one last untouched fortune cookie sitting on the table. He picked it up and unwrapped it. Sighing as he watched Misa and Mikami wrestle, he thought, oh well, that’s how the cookie crumbles, and snapped the cookie open. He withdrew the slip of paper and read his fortune: You will be successful in your work. Light couldn’t help it…he chuckled. He definitely planned to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

L twirled his fork around his plate, mashing down the last cake crumbs. Walking in from behind L, Watari picked up the plate with one hand and with his other hand placed a laptop in front of L. On the white screen appeared his signature:

post-7969-1226817040.jpg

L clapped his hands together to dust off the sugary residue. Then he picked up the microphone and began to record:

Hello all, I'm a bit nervos being L it's a big role, so I'll try and be quick.

On Day 2 I'll come out as L. Until then... chat. Alot. Watch out for Block Voting. Wide range of voting gets more people talking. That's what's needed.

Good luck everyone.

Wedy: I need to send you something.

Back at his home, Dawh pulled a batch of brownies out of the oven. His bare hands were scalded by the hot pan, but he didn’t flinch. His eyes were blank and stared without focus on a random spot in front of him. Placing the pan in front of him, his eyes not moving from that position, he reached one burned hand into the pan and scooped out some of the concoction. He stuffed it into his mouth, smearing chocolate over his face. A few minutes later, the “special ingredient” he had added to the batter began to take effect. Dawh’s body keeled over and went to where his mind was…into oblivion.

Cherry Lane was out on a walk down a hedge-lined path in a garden. Suddenly she sneezed. Could it be her allergies? Maybe…but she had the distinct feeling that someone was saying something bad about her…actually…she felt like they were writing something bad about her…mysteriously, the words “Death Note” popped into her head.

CL looked around. There was no sign of trouble amidst the peaceful rows of polychromatic flowers. She shrugged and continued on her stroll. Well, at least she was still alive. She might as well enjoy herself.

Shinigami King: Y

Roster:

1)Brandonb

2)Itachi-san

3)Sinistral

4)dawh - DEAD (written into Death Note by DNH)

5)foolonthehill

6)Cherry Lane

7)Joe's Student

8)Kat

9)SomeGuy

10)Rene83

11)Mekal

12)Sparanda

13)Star_tiger

14)Prof. Templeton

15)Prince Marth

16)Ben Law

Day ends in 24 hours!

Great post :D You would almost think that PG was a death note holder by dawh's death :P Sorry though...

Ooh, how about if it is PG? :o And I have no clue what you meant, Mekal :P Is it a hint? :huh:

Lovely post, Y-san! I have to give credit for creativity in dawh's death ;) I shall never eat a brownie again without thinking of that :lol:

Ooh, how about if it is PG? :o And I have no clue what you meant, Mekal :P Is it a hint? :huh:

Lovely post, Y-san! I have to give credit for creativity in dawh's death ;) I shall never eat a brownie again without thinking of that :lol:

no hints... it is just that pg makes the best cyber brownies EVER!!!

Edited by Mekal