BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

You are on a very thin layer of ice, 4 cm away from safe land. The only problem is, if you change the pressure on either of your feet the ice will break, sending you down into the watery depths.

You have 2 things that you are holding:

1) a 15 foot long plastic rope

2) a 16 by 12 by 5 in lead weight

Is there any way to escape?

11 answers to this question

4 cm? How about reach your arms out over the land and then take a step. As you fall through the ice catch yourself on the bank and viola! you are saved from a watery grave.

You are on a very thin layer of ice, 4 cm away from safe land. The only problem is, if you change the pressure on either of your feet the ice will break, sending you down into the watery depths.

... get rid of the 165kg lead weight and walk out! probably by holding it in front of me and dropping it on the land.

... get rid of the 165kg lead weight and walk out! probably by holding it in front of me and dropping it on the land.

I'd tie that rope to the weight and me. Never hurts to have a backup plan. (and things like that rope are usuallythere for a reason)

Surely you could swim 4cm?

or throw the weight away and jump for your life??

Or you could replace one of your foots pressure with the weight, move your foot forward,pick up the weight while putting your foot down, etc. But that would be really hard and the weight would have to be exactly right.

somehow dont think any of these is the answer. :)

It's pretty simple really....

You fall to your knees. This will break the ice because pressure pattern has changed, but you are only 4 cm from land so when the ice breaks, your knees will already be on the ground.

It's pretty simple really....
You fall to your knees. This will break the ice because pressure pattern has changed, but you are only 4 cm from land so when the ice breaks, your knees will already be on the ground.

You gotta toss that lead weight when you start your fall, or you'll probably crush your knees. That lead is roughly the weight of 2 average peoples, plus a little. Ouch!

But great guess, and the easiest to execute thus far. I'm interested to see what the OP had in mind for a solution.

But great guess, and the easiest to execute thus far. I'm interested to see what the OP had in mind for a solution.

You gotta toss that lead weight when you start your fall, or you'll probably crush your knees. That lead is roughly the weight of 2 average peoples, plus a little. Ouch!

Good point Grayven, when I saw the 4 cm I didn't bother to even do that particular calculation, seemed like excess information just there as a red herring.

you could just throw the lead weight toward the middle of the pond, and you will slide toward shore. You and your rope can then walk safely back to your office at the Daily Planet.

The real question is, what are you doing walking around a frozen pond carrying 392 lbs of lead and 15 ft of rope?

The real question is, what are you doing walking around a frozen pond carrying 392 lbs of lead and 15 ft of rope?

And if the "thin" ice can hold 550 to 600 lbs (roughly) focused onto two average (edit) human feet worth of area, how thin could it really be?

Edited by Grayven