BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

• Answers 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think the reason is people are voting for what they belive. IF you believe there are, will you say 'no' or 'i dont know'? That's my interpretation, but it may not be it....

Bingo! give the man a cigar

I dont think I am prepared to give a statement of belief concerning ghosts. They just haven't influenced my daily life yet so I do not consider them to be of importance.

Andromeda, if that is what Phaze meant, he didn't express it that way. In fact, what he said seems to contradict what you are saying. The poll asks whether or not you think ghosts exist, not if they really do. Which is why, in your example, the person is perfectly justified in voting that ghosts do not exist. What Phaze says seemed to mean "If I am honest with myself, then based on my opinions I can conclude that either ghosts do or do not exist. If I have no opinion on this, I am not being honest with myself, because clearly I need to believe that ghosts either do or do not exist."

Honestly, I think the poll should just have had a "No, but I'm open minded" option..

Phaze, I meant no offense. If you feel offended in anyway, please let your feelings known, and I will apologize. The name René Descartes sounds familiar, but I can't place it. If I have time, I'll look it up.

Would you like to explain how if we're honest with ourselves then the only thing we can be certain about is our own existence? Because I'm not sure I fully understand, and rather than misinterpreting again, I think you should tell me. :D

The name René Descartes sounds familiar, but I can't place it. If I have time, I'll look it up.

Cogito ergo sum - I think, therefore I am (I am thinking, therefore I exist)

The simple meaning of the phrase is that if someone is wondering whether or not he exists, that is in and of itself proof that he does exist (because, at the very least, there is an "I" who is doing the thinking)

Copy-pasted from Wikipedia :)

Ooooh. That guy. A lightbulb just went off. :P

Hmm... Not to get into a philosophical discussion here, but what about inanimate objects such as bicycles, television, blankets, etc. Do they exist?

Read little about philosophy and you'll find much "crazier" things than this statement! :huh:

Back to the topic - GHOSTS!

I'd like to offer a challenge to René Descartes.

"I think therefore I am" would be more accurately stated as "I think therefore I think I am, but I don't know really" . Thinking you am doesn't make you is. It's nothing more than an opinion.

Besides which, you no longer are (since 1650), so what do you think about that? Nothing.

If René Descartes would kindly respond to this we'll be able to resolve this whole matter once and for all. It will prove that:

a) ghosts exist

and

b) I'm right (since you no longer are but you're still thinking)

Ahh. But there is no, and will never be, a René Decartes responding to this. (I would be mildly amused if someone set up a fake account and did though. :P )

Octopuppy, I forget, are you currently for or against the existence of ghosts?

Oh yeah, I forgot that too. I was saying they didn't exist. Well, Descartes can keep his opinions to himself then.