BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

• Answers 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

i would say that i believe more in spirits then in ghosts... even though they are almost the same thing... but you are more likely to see an odd streak of colour then a full-bodied ghost... :mellow:

Here, here. Ditto for anything you might call supernatural. The supernatural is characterised by the fact that it doesn't exist.

(EDIT: Well, strictly speaking by the fact that its existence is unsupported by evidence, which for practical purposes amounts to the same thing)

Uhhhhh... no. Without a doubt. They don't even exist in religions. I mean, c'mon - if you believe ghosts exist, you better have something to back it up with, not just random speculation. How would it work anyhow? The idea is just ridiculous, even compared to religious myths (which ghosts aren't supported by)

Do you know the part where Mr. Lovegood tells Hermione to 'broden her mind'? That maybe you could say that something was real, by telling other people to prove that it wasn't?? "Broden your mind, unreality, Frost, and akaslickster..."

Do you know the part where Mr. Lovegood tells Hermione to 'broden her mind'? That maybe you could say that something was real, by telling other people to prove that it wasn't?? "Broden your mind, unreality, Frost, and akaslickster..."

I don't think this was a fictional question, and that remark is like me telling you to open your eyes and point it out. It would go double for you. :P

Once again BS walks.

Edited by akaslickster

That doesn't prove anything, except that you have absolutely no reason to believe ghosts exist. It's not our job to prove they don't exist, it's yours to prove that they do. And I'd like to see someone try to prove that. :P

I vote yes, as I have with my own eyes, seen a ghost

I was half asleep, in my grandparents house, which they believe is haunted, when in a mirror I saw a white shape of a man in a tuxedo. He was standing beside my bed staring out the window, and stayed there for about half an hour before melting away. :o

If anyone has a scientific explanation for this occurence, I really want to hear it!

I was half asleep, in my grandparents house, which they believe is haunted, when in a mirror I saw a white shape of a man in a tuxedo. He was standing beside my bed staring out the window, and stayed there for about half an hour before melting away. :o

If anyone has a scientific explanation for this occurence, I really want to hear it!

I think that other people as well as myself are able to hallucinate, while they are half asleep. Your brain is not completely aware, awake, and you can easily see dreams, but cannot prove they were existent, without a photograph, that has not been altered, as the ones with the flying saucers. :lol: Edited by akaslickster

Hallucinations are always possible, when half asleep. I had minor ones before and I only get them in dim light as I am not in REM. You need an unaltered photograph to get anyone to believe you. :lol:

No. Believing in ghosts is silly. What would they be made of? A dead person's spirit? What is a spirit made of? I'm surprised that almost half voted "Yes". You kids need to stop watching Most Haunted! <_<

You kids need to stop watching Most Haunted! <_<

Ahaha. I hate that show. My cousin is addicted to it.

I voted no. I spent the good part of the day having a conversation with my mom, friend, and her dad about God, extraterrestrial life, and ghosts (hehe, basically: You're wrong! "Prove it!" Read this book! "No!" for hours. And me telling my friend how absurd all her arguments were) This topic being at the top of the View New Posts list when I logged on was a shocker!

I don't believe that they look like what we think they look like. I don't believe that they are made from a dead human's soul. I believe that that they can see, hear and sense us but we can't sense them.

Do you guys believe in Satan? I do, and I believe that Satan is a ghost.

(Hope it doesn't turn into a religious debate :unsure: )

Yeah! I do believe in ghosts. When we believe that we are existing, why shouldn't ghosts exist? Why do we always need proof to believe that a thing exists but no proof is required when it comes to non-believing? That's unfair, so unless you guys give me satisfactory proof that ghosts don't exist, I am believing in them. Being optimistic doesn't hurt. :P

Wow, you got one to stand still for half an hour! That's wonderful, since it gives you plenty of time to bring in other witnesses, take photos from all angles, experiment on it (you've got to walk through it, it would be a shame not to). And if it's responsive you could ask it all sorts of questions about what it was, was it a dead human, if so who, get its life story, why is it a ghost, why is it visible at the moment, that sort of thing. Just because someone's dead doesn't mean you have to be unsociable with them. Don't tell me you just stared at it...

Oh, just noticed you put "half asleep" in there. Ahh... so much wierd stuff happens when you're half asleep.

Yeah! I do believe in ghosts. When we believe that we are existing, why shouldn't ghosts exist? Why do we always need proof to believe that a thing exists but no proof is required when it comes to non-believing? That's unfair, so unless you guys give me satisfactory proof that ghosts don't exist, I am believing in them. Being optimistic doesn't hurt. :P
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Not wishing to turn this into the religious debate or anything, but this is just depressing. OK, here's why proof is required for belief but not non-belief:

Consider these 3 statements:

1) I think X (an opinion)

2) I believe X

3) I know X (implies that X is a fact)

These are in increasing order of certainty. A belief is somewhere between an opinion and a statement of fact. Believers will often go further and say "I know X", but a non believer cannot agree and say "You know X" since that acknowledges X to be true. You can, however, agree on belief ("I believe X", "You believe X"). So to believe something is to consider it a certainty, but only in a personal sense (acknowledges that other people might think differently).

Now, if you believe something (consider it to be certain from your own point of view) you would hopefully require a reason (proof). If you go around being certain of things without reason, you can and will be convinced of all kinds of falsehoods (there's plenty of them out there), and your world view will then be hopelessly distorted. If you are interested in truth and seeing things as they are, this is unwise. It is delusion.

However, a reason is not required to disbelieve something because disbelief is not an assertion, but a lack of one. It is an absence of belief (which, in the absence of a reason to believe, is the only reasonable position).

In practice disbelievers often go further and make positive statements like "ghosts don't exist!", which can't be proven. Such a statement is overwhelmingly likely to be true, however. There are infinitely many things that could exist but probably don't, since we have no reliable evidence for them (invisible unicorns, fairies, pixies, the easter bunny, ghosts, goblins, gods, satan, flying spaghetti monster et cetera). Maybe I'm wrong and all these things exist, in which case the world is an incredibly nonsensical place. But there is no reason to think so. If only a finite number of such things exist, it is overwhelmingly unlikely that these are the ones we chose to believe in. Without evidence, disbelief is the only position that makes any sense at all.

I respect your belief, but in answer to your question (albeit most likely rhetorical :P) : Why should we make something out of nothing? What's the point of assuming that something is there when there's absolutely no proof to back it up?

------

To me, God, ghosts, and all that, aren't very different from Santa Claus.

WHAT?!?!?!?! of course gosts exist!!!! How could they not? What about your soul...? Wonderfull... so 11 people are telling me that once you die... you die. Thats going to be fun -.-
I'd get all the fun done beforehand if I were you

I'd get all the fun done beforehand if I were you

well duh... but what if i just die while doing one of those fun things? Now if the world suddenly went black and stayed that way...... i'd go crazy

So...for all those saying there's no proof ghosts exist,

there's no proof that ghosts DON"T exist

(and no way to prove that they don't exist)

So you can only prove that ghosts exist,

and cannot prove that they don't.

Therefore, the only logical conclusion

is to believe in ghosts.

How is thinking ghosts exist, optimistic? :huh: I don't find the idea of eternally walking the earth for no reason other than to scare one in every million people a very optimistic future :P -I don't know the real stats, it's probably 1/100.

Anyhoo... ghosts don't exist. I don't even see the need for a discussion about them (but apparently there is one or two - I think was posted already). The foundation of this discussion is that some people believe this without proof and others don't believe it because there is no proof. Which side to choose? hmm. We don't even need to get into the morality or the reason of/for ghosts because proof should be prerequisite to any further debate. [otherwise, it's a slippery slope to talking about Bigfoot, Yetis, zombies, etc...]

And for Blade: assuming ghosts don't exist, it's not like you'd be alive to feel sad that you aren't a ghost. You wouldn't feel anything. Think about it. It's not bad, it's not good, it's nothing. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about ;)