BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I don't take ownership of this. It's not even really a puzzle, just a weird bit of information that I saw on a TV show once.

In a group of ten people, what is the probability of 2 people having the same birthday? (meaning the same day of the year, not the exact same day in the exact same year)

Give up? The answer given by the show was 1/2. There's a 50% chance for 2 people to have the same birthday.

Extra points if you know the show that it was on ;)

Edited by Sparanda

4 answers to this question

I really don't know the math behind it, but all I know is that the show said the probability was what I said above. Andromeda might be onto it, but I think that's weak logic and that's kinda making it into a pun.

We did this one recently.

http://brainden.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3941&st=0

Before posting a new riddle, make sure the riddle hasn't been posted before by following the steps in the sticky in the red box titled "Important: READ BEFORE POSTING". You can find the thread I linked to above by searching for "same +birthday".

BTW, according to my math, the probability that at least one person shares a birthday with another in group of ten people is about 11.7%.