BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

andromeda

Question

24 hours earlier...

It was a chill Tuesday morning on the paintball field recently opened by Redrum Extreme Enterprises. Young scientists from the Natural Science Institute (Department of Genetics) had already begun the second hour of their three hour long team building exercise.

The field consisted of natural terrain (a dense growth of trees, plants, and underbrush covering a large area) and a 5 storey high skeleton of an unfinished building.

Andromeda was standing on the top of the building, near the edge looking at the forest through her binoculars. She was in contact with Woon, who was situated in the control room. Woon used to be a homicide detective, but he resigned to start his own security agency with Andromeda as his assistant.

“Talk to me And... what do you see?” Woon asked patiently.

“I was wondering... was it really necessary for the wooded part of the field to be four times bigger than Monaco, besides I can’t see anything from the leaves. We shouldn’t have let them go out there alone”, she sounded worried. “Is everything OK from where you’re watching?” Andromeda asked, pressing her earpiece.

“Um... one of the cameras on the ground level inside the building is repeatedly going on and off”.

“Well... nobody was supposed to be there, but I’ll go check anyway”, said Andromeda and hurried down the stairs.

On the inside, the building was recently decorated with graffiti and still wasn’t opened for paintball.

As she reached ground level, Andromeda slowed down her pace and started carefully approaching the section where the faulty camera was. As she turned around the corner she noticed it right away. David Preston, one of the participants, was laying on the ground, about 6 feet from the wall, face up, still holding his paintball gun. Andromeda hurried, hoping that she’ll be able to help him, but even from distance it looked like nothing can be done.

“Woon, call the security to round the 7 remaining participants up and come quick”, shouted Andromeda.

“Seven?!” Woon was startled.

“Yes Woon... there’s been a murder”, sadly replied Andromeda.

Next to the victim’s body was a huge puddle of blood with the murder weapon in it. His left hand was in his pocked and his right hand was still holding the paintball gun, as mentioned.

As Woon approached, his attention was immediately captured by the alphabet graffiti on the wall near the body.

post-10350-1225327563.gif

“Look And... What do you make of this?” asked Woon alternately looking down on the ground and at the wall.

“Do you think that he was trying to tell us something?” Andromeda hesitated.

“I know he was trying to tell us something”, said Woon absolutely convinced. “But I still can’t figure out what”.

“Oh look... There’s something on Jim too”, Andromeda noticed.

“Jim?” Woon sounded confused.

“Yeah... Jim Morrison”, said Andromeda pointing at the graffiti of the legendary cultural icon.

post-10350-1225327614.jpg

Woon walked towards the graffiti with a vivid interest. He’s mind was racing but he couldn’t figure out this one either.

Suddenly Woon started rummaging through his pockets. “Pfff... I forgot the list with the names”.

Without Woon telling her to do so, Andromeda rushed to the control room to bring the list, while Woon was still standing in front of the graffiti not knowing how to solve the mind boggling question - What was David trying to tell him?!

When Andromeda came back with the list, she found Woon leaned over the victim’s body.

“You checked his left pocket?” Andromeda was curious.

“I didn’t have to, I know what’s in it”, replied Woon as he was approaching Andromeda to take a look at the list. “Thanks And, I can always count on your swift return”, Woon couldn’t help but smile.

“Hey... I’m the muscle, your the brain”, said Andromeda handing over the list.

She noticed an instant spark in his eyes when he unfolded the paper.

“Well of course...” murmured Woon while looking at the list with the names on it.

BLUE TEAM:

1. Bryan Masseter

2. David Preston

3. Grace Trammel

4. Zahra Nehru

RED TEAM:

1. Charlotte Chang

2. James Rafanelli

3. Simon Brass

4. Valery Coleman

Woon then went to the alphabet graffiti. Andromeda, standing next to him, started thinking out loud. “You know what’s funny... I read in the newspaper that paintball is safer than bowl...”

“That’s it... Hurrah! Andromeda, call the police! Oh... the poor guy didn’t stand a chance!” shouted out Woon in one breath interrupting her thought.

“Wha... ah... “, Andromeda was confused. “OK I’ll just stay here... with the body...” she added needlessly, since Woon was already out of her sight and couldn’t hear her anymore.

Andromeda called the police and then took another long look at both of the graffiti and remained puzzled. She just couldn’t figure out what was Woon so excited about.

Can you?

Edited by andromeda

• Answers 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

The accomplice has to be Bryan Masseter. Masseter is a facial muscle, hence the shot on JM. I can't believe I got that. I have to say that is a brilliant way of portraying the accomplice. Do we still need to find the murder weapon and work out what exactly happened? If so, would the murder weapon be a brass rod?

Edited by runder_1111

was it you andromeda?

I might be a cute psycho bunny, but I ain't a killer! B))

The accomplice has to be Bryan Masseter. Masseter is a facial muscle, hence the shot on JM. I can't believe I got that. I have to say that is a brilliant way of portraying the accomplice. Do we still need to find the murder weapon and work out what exactly happened? If so, would the murder weapon be a brass rod?

Yeah... This riddle was about Google-ing really... :)

Well... try to work it out in what order things went down. I write the solution down and probably post it tomorrow.

And you are wrong about the murder weapon. It's not even that important cause I didn't give you any clues to work with...

The thing you had to solve was the killer and his accomplice. But you can speculate if you want about everything else! ;)

G =;what was in the dead man's pocket ????????? and what was the murder weapon ???????? notwihstanding these missed clues, i believe that; c = see / G = Grace / T = Trammel ...... clues left on the alphabet board....... and then there is the highlighted mole on jim morrisons cheek. Grace Trammrl is a mole, and she killed him. ???

G =;what was in the dead man's pocket ????????? and what was the murder weapon ???????? notwihstanding these missed clues, i believe that; c = see / G = Grace / T = Trammel ...... clues left on the alphabet board....... and then there is the highlighted mole on jim morrisons cheek. Grace Trammrl is a mole, and she killed him. ???

Welcome to the Den!

Grace Trammel was just a decoy... I'll post the final and full solution in couple of days... :)

BLUE TEAM:

1[spoiler='Its just a guess

']. Bryan Masseter

. Bryan Masseters

. Charlotte Chang

. Grace Trammel are the culptrets because woon said they didnt stand a chance and the letters on the wall are "B"ryan "C"harlotte "C"hang "G"race "T"rammel

2. James Rafanelli

3. Simon Brass

4. Valery Coleman

Woon then went to the alphabet graffiti. Andromeda, standing next to him, started thinking out loud. “You know what’s funny... I read in the newspaper that paintball is safer than bowl...”

“That’s it... Hurrah! Andromeda, call the police! Oh... the poor guy didn’t stand a chance!” shouted out Woon in one breath interrupting her thought.

“Wha... ah... “, Andromeda was confused. “OK I’ll just stay here... with the body...” she added needlessly, since Woon was already out of her sight and couldn’t hear her anymore.

Andromeda called the police and then took another long look at both of the graffiti and remained puzzled. She just couldn’t figure out what was Woon so excited about.

Can you?

i am going to go with grace trammel (gt) because blue panitballs were fired and as for the 'c' that looked like a handprint

and how is bowling more dangerous than paintball?

I don't know I just stumbled upon that piece of information when I was doing my homework about paintball.

I wanted to post the entire answer, and I will in the next couple of days I was to busy and didn't get the time to type it, and thought to give someone else the opportunity to figure it out how it all went down. We have the murderer and the accomplice solved already but nobody put the pieces together... I'll do that when I get the time!

:)

Finally I wrote how it all went down (I've been lazy to do it I must admit) :P

24 hours earlier...

It was a chill Tuesday morning on the paintball field recently opened by Redrum Extreme Enterprises. Young scientists from the Natural Science Institute (Department of Genetics) had already begun the second hour of their three hour long team building exercise.

The field consisted of natural terrain (a dense growth of trees, plants, and underbrush covering a large area) and a 5 storey high skeleton of an unfinished building.

Andromeda was standing on the top of the building, near the edge looking at the forest through her binoculars. She was in contact with Woon, who was situated in the control room. Woon used to be a homicide detective, but he resigned to start his own security agency with Andromeda as his assistant.

“Talk to me And... what do you see?” Woon asked patiently.

“I was wondering... was it really necessary for the wooded part of the field to be four times bigger than Monaco, besides I can’t see anything from the leaves. We shouldn’t have let them go out there alone”, she sounded worried. “Is everything OK from where you’re watching?” Andromeda asked, pressing her earpiece.

“Um... one of the cameras on the ground level inside the building is repeatedly going on and off”.

“Well... nobody was supposed to be there, but I’ll go check anyway”, said Andromeda and hurried down the stairs.

On the inside, the building was recently decorated with graffiti and still wasn’t opened for paintball.

As she reached ground level, Andromeda slowed down her pace and started carefully approaching the section where the faulty camera was. As she turned around the corner she noticed it right away. David Preston, one of the participants, was laying on the ground, about 6 feet from the wall, face up, still holding his paintball gun. Andromeda hurried, hoping that she’ll be able to help him, but even from distance it looked like nothing can be done.

“Woon, call the security to round the 7 remaining participants up and come quick”, shouted Andromeda.

“Seven?!” Woon was startled.

“Yes Woon... there’s been a murder”, sadly replied Andromeda.

Next to the victim’s body was a huge puddle of blood with the murder weapon in it. His left hand was in his pocked and his right hand was still holding the paintball gun, as mentioned.

As Woon approached, his attention was immediately captured by the alphabet graffiti on the wall near the body.

ALPHABET GRAFFITI (check the Original Post)

“Look And... What do you make of this?” asked Woon alternately looking down on the ground and at the wall.

“I know he was trying to tell us something”, said Woon absolutely convinced. “But I still can’t figure out what”.

“Yeah... Jim Morrison”, said Andromeda pointing at the graffiti of the legendary cultural icon.

JIM MORRISON GRAFFITI (check the Original Post)

Woon walked towards the graffiti with a vivid interest. He’s mind was racing but he couldn’t figure out this one either.

Suddenly Woon started rummaging through his pockets. “Pfff... I forgot the list with the names”.

Without Woon telling her to do so, Andromeda rushed to the control room to bring the list, while Woon was still standing in front of the graffiti not knowing how to solve the mind boggling question - What was David trying to tell him?!

When Andromeda came back with the list, she found Woon leaned over the victim’s body.

“I didn’t have to, I know what’s in it”, replied Woon as he was approaching Andromeda to take a look at the list. “Thanks And, I can always count on your swift return”, Woon couldn’t help but smile.

“Well of course...” murmured Woon while looking at the list with the names on it.

BLUE TEAM:

1. Bryan Masseter

2. David Preston

3. Grace Trammel

4. Zahra Nehru

RED TEAM:

1. Charlotte Chang

2. James Rafanelli

3. Simon Brass

4. Valery Coleman

Can you?

Half an hour after the start of the game, Bryan Masseter started to turn his plan into action. He felt like he... they had no choice but to terminate David’s existence (he wasn’t comfortable with the word murder). Since they were on the same team, Bryan asked David to pair up with him and head towards the building.

Poor David wasn’t expecting what was about to happen. Yes, he did confront his coworkers about their unethical conduct about the fabrication of some results of the experiments but little did he know* that those people he considered friends were capable of such a gruesome act.

When they reached the building, Bryan asked him if he would like to join him inside the building to “check it out”. David, still unaware that these will be his last moments went in the building following Bryan. As they were looking at the graffiti Bryan began his story about how betrayed he felt and that David shouldn’t have reported him... With every step he made, David felt tingles rushing down his spine. His eyes desperately searched for the stairs. That was his only hope. Running up on the rooftop where he knew Andromeda was.

Of course he was still walking slowly because what’s the point of running if you don’t know where you are supposed to go. He picked up his pace and hid behind one of the large pillars and that’s when he noticed Jim Morrison’s graffiti. He walked to it slowly pulled the paintball “bullet” out of his left pocket and squeezed the paint on the Jim’s cheek knowing that’s about the spot where the masseter facial muscle is.

Then he looked around to see where Bryan is when he spotted Valery not far from where he was. His mind was racing, was she here as a friend or as Bryan’s accomplice, but it was too late, she noticed him “Where have you been, I’m totally covered in paint, you guys are missing out on all the fun?!” He slowly walked towards her still turning his back looking for Bryan.

“Oh... Val I’m so glad to see you!” announced David as he approached her.

“Hey Val!”, David froze on the sound of Bryans voice and turned towards him, hoping that he won’t try to hurt him now that Valery is here, and he was absolutely right. He won’t try to hurt him...

WARNING! The following spoiler contains a short description of extreme violence! This scene is not for the weak!

Spoiler for ...:

As David turned around Valerie pulled out her army knife and with one swift elegant movement she jammed the knife into the side of David’s neck and forcefully pulled the knife forward splitting his jugular vein.

As soon as she did that, she dropped the knife on the ground and both Bryan and Valery run out of the building leaving David to bleed to death.

When he felt the impact, David grabbed his neck and felt the warm liquid gushing out of his body. He start to toddle as he was rapidly losing blood. With the last bits of energy left in his weakening body his lifted his paintball gun towards the alphabet graffiti and fired ones in the letter G, twice in the letter T... After that he was too weak to stand so he fell and while laying on the ground he managed to shoot the letter C twice****. He finally let go of his throat and put his left hand into his pocket making sure that it’s still there, the empty shell of the paintball bullet that he squeezed out on Jim’s graffiti. As his was inhaling his last breath he knew, someone will figure it out... they have to...

Woon and Andromeda (second part of the riddle is repeated with an addition of some lines)

ALPHABET GRAFFITI (check the Original Post)

He was looking at the paintball shells counting how many balls were fired, which letters they hit and how many times because he was trying to figure out the order. GTC was his conclusion... cause on the G was fired once, on T twice, and twice on C but under an angle that could be only achieved by laying on the ground

JIM MORRISON GRAFFITI (check the Original Post)

While Andromeda was away to get the list with the names, Woon approached Jim’s graffiti and noticed that there was no shell on the ground, that combined with the fact that the color pattern left on Jim’s cheek wasn’t made by firing at it, he came to the conclusion that was the item that David was holding in his left pocket! Then Woon approached the body to take a closer look of the wound. It was a precise, deep cut that not only had severed his jugular vein but all the tissue that was on the way of that sharp blade that was laying on the ground coated with blood

Actually the spark came a second earlier as Andromeda said “I’m the muscle...”

Because when Woon opened the paper he instantaniously realized who the first perpetrator was, Bryan Masseter. Masseter facial muscle!

Since they were on the same team, it was easy for Bryan to lure David into the building.

BLUE TEAM:

1. Bryan Masseter

2. David Preston

3. Grace Trammel

4. Zahra Nehru

RED TEAM:

1. Charlotte Chang

2. James Rafanelli

3. Simon Brass

4. Valery Coleman

Woon then went to the alphabet graffiti.

When he saw the names on the other team the idea popped up in his head. GTC is the genetic code for the amino acid Valin! Valery...

Andromeda, standing next to him, started thinking out loud. “You know what’s funny... I read in the newspaper that paintball is safer than bowl...”

The reason Woon said that “...the poor guy didn’t stand a chance!” was because Bryan and Valery ganged up against him!***

Can you?

* little did he know - line borrowed from the movie “Stranger than Fiction” :)

** to be honest the murder weapon and the way he died are not really important, some people suggested a metal rod (that works as well) the only thing important in this riddle was to find out who the killer is and who the accomplice is based on the graffiti pictures and it was important that Jim's graffiti was marked before the alphabet one

*** I realize that I probably should of made a sketch of the inside of the building (in the original riddle - the exact position of the body and the graffiti etc.) to make it more clear how everything went down

I do realize that my explanation probably doesn’t explain everything, and like I said the overall explanation is not so important you can make up your own story ;)

**** It was mentioned in the riddle that he was close to the wall

If something doesn't fit, or if there are still some things that I didn't mention and you would like to know, ask me and I'll try to think of something even though your guess is as good as mine because, and I repeat, the only objective of this riddle was who killed David, who was the accomplice, and the fact that David marked JM graffiti first and then alphabet graffiti just before he died.

Any questions? :)

jugular attack - he aimed his paintball gun so acurately - Imlovinit

Up to that point I was buying it Andromeda, lets just say he is a hero to point the finger of suspicion at such a time in such a way.. other than that a great riddle

jugular attack - he aimed his paintball gun so acurately - Imlovinit
Up to that point I was buying it Andromeda, lets just say he is a hero to point the finger of suspicion at such a time in such a way.. other than that a great riddle

He was close to the wall... for the obvious reason I don't really know how capable would I be to aim accurately while deathly wounded!

:o

And think about it, if he was hit with a metal rod, he probably would have fainted right away...

Edited by andromeda

Well I'm slower than a lot of people here so it sould be left to CSI if anything like that happened to me - guess you sand a better chance, while I would tend to my wound and fail of course and sursing that I am not safe and with my family - if that is what it is like to be in a immediate and imminent death situation - hope I never know... now I am more likely to think a - I was right, b - you were right and I wish I had my paintball gun - but most likely I would have dropped it... still love the concept, but many of these riddles are based on clues as opposed to possibility and I guess that is where some members are finding it hard to redirect there thoughts from the possible reality and just look at clues - not that I was doing any better :P

Well I'm slower than a lot of people here so it sould be left to CSI if anything like that happened to me - guess you sand a better chance, while I would tend to my wound and fail of course and sursing that I am not safe and with my family - if that is what it is like to be in a immediate and imminent death situation - hope I never know... now I am more likely to think a - I was right, b - you were right and I wish I had my paintball gun - but most likely I would have dropped it... still love the concept, but many of these riddles are based on clues as opposed to possibility and I guess that is where some members are finding it hard to redirect there thoughts from the possible reality and just look at clues - not that I was doing any better :P

;)

You are totally right masseter muscle and coworker that has the same surname or the alphabet graffiti conveniently being there...

That's the trick, I the puzzle-maker set the conditions!