BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Sheikh's Heritage

rookie1ja

This is funny because I signed up for this web site just to answer this question. The question is tricky, but not for me. When you answer this question, you don't only have to think about geting there, but also about retourning. The wise man told the boys that after you get there and take the treasure you have to put it on your camel to return home, so in that case, the more weight the camel has, the slower it's going to go.

So what do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
But the riddle said that whoever had the slowest camel would inherit the Sheikh's money. Why would the two brothers be racing as fast as they can? Don't they want the fortune?

well if u looked at the answer the brothers switched camels so if one of the brothers get there first wit the others camel thn tht person gets the fortune

• 2 weeks later...

I registered to reply to this topic. While I appreciate the spirit of the riddle, I'm not heartened by the answer.

If the 2 brothers switched camels somewhere in the desert, who is to say that the switch actually happened, especially if they rode out on their own camels to begin with? Perhaps the camels were branded in some way? I might argue that whomever is riding the camel at the time is indeed the proper owner of the camel.

If I were one of the Sheikh's sons, I would kill my camel, get a horse, and then ride to the city.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that the old man had them switch camels so that no matter who was the last one in, they would both be winners and losers. Since the technical owner of the slowest camel would be the first on into the city and vice versa, there would be no technical winner or loser. And since the outcome was a draw, perhaps the kingdom would then be split or somehow shared between the brothers.

What? This riddle... I get it. If they switch camels they will try to go as fast as they can so that they can make eachother loose!!!! Mwuhahahahahahha! I get it. I'm So Smart And I'm Only 11!!! Woot Woot!

Or they are just going to kill the Sheikh and split the money 50/50 or kill eachother. Thats what I would do... Or would I? Or they could beat the Sheikh and make him hand it over and the Throne or whatever Sheikhs sit upon? Camel?

Orrrrrrrrr.... The Wise punk told them he was gonna like kills them or something along those lines... IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. So the Camel riders were running as fast as they could to get away from wise punk. RIGHT? Bull, There are so many Friken answers!!!!!!!!! gawd!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I like this one the best so far. It makes sense that a wise man would say that, for it provides a solution for everyone. It also assumes that the two brothers are honorable yet competitive (which is displayed in the riddle by their previous actions).

they didn't know the race was too see who got there last so they were traveling fast from the beginning then got lost wandered till the old man told them the way to the city and started racing that way again...make scene

• 2 weeks later...

its obvious, the shiekh told them to switch camels then they raced to the city because the father said the slower camel would win so the brothers were on eachothers camel trying to make the other lose and therefore they win because their camel lost and was the slowest

• 2 weeks later...

Umm... Here the real better answer. The one provided is borderline stupid.

This is a semantics puzzle. The puzzle says the father tells them "race their camels to a distant city to see who will inherit his fortune. The one whose camel is slower will win" What does the person with the slower camel win?? They won the opportunity to "SEE WHO WILL INHERIT HIS FORTUNE". This person is the faster brother. This is what the wise man tells them. What makes this puzzle hard is that people can't read literally we all make assumptions even when the puzzle tells us what the winner will receive.

• 2 weeks later...

Like the answer provided. But here's a fun alternative. The sheikh tells them whomever's slower to reach the distant city will win. He doesn't specify that the one slower to return will win. So what if the wise man tells them that the person who's found closer to their home city will be presumed to be the slower one? Which gets them racing back to be found closer to home. Whaddya say to that folks?

possible solutions:

1. he already decided so go find out who he chose

2. both ride one camel, with the other camel in front. therefore neither had the fastest camel and both had the slowest.

3. ride both camels

4. split the inheritance

I heard a different version in which the wealthy father bought the two sons each a car one was blue and the other was red he gave the blue one to the oldest and the red one to the youngest. then he told them to race and the slowest car won. the answer is still the same switch cars