BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Death Note Mafia

Yoruichi-san

Your probably right, but I was pretty much doomed in every scenario where the TF succeeded in lynching a villain on the first day. I never would have risked PMing "Light" on the first day if I didn't know the target, and if Rem is lynched, then Light and Misa will have a huge advantage over me, and as we saw, with Misa being lynched, then s/he can be public about my identity.

Yeah, you're right...sorry...but thanks for trying your best :). For Rematch I'm making it so that the DNH don't know the Shinigami from the start and also making it so that if anyone claims to be Light, then Ryuk gets a free "Light" PM so that no one can use that as a defense.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yeah...thanks for reminding me...I was wondering if anyone picked up on how L's message read very much like a certain Bankroller Ultimatum....*cough*

;P

I have no idea what you are talking about... I've never been a bankroller ;)

BTW... Heroes Hybrid is finished and coming soon...

Yeah, it was Aizawa (aka FOTH)'s smart move that made it impossible for Ryuk to win. But at the time, Dawh couldn't have know he was the one Aizawa trapped.

That was just lucky on my part - my other option was to go for Sinistral as I was suspicious of him, but thought I'd save that for the next day!

Actually, I hadn't realised that the DNH had got control over two names - (to me) the night post implied that only Light had written correct death note, not Misa. If I'd realised sooner, I would have encouraged Ryuk to stay voting for PT. The next day, I'd have probably implied that dawh was bad (having found out with my trap) and waited to see who went along with it -hopefully Light and whoever's vote he got to control because Ryuk is a threat to him.

Either way, with potential to control 2 votes (giving them a total of 4 against a whole roster of 12) the DNH only had to kill off a couple of TF members in order to take unanimous control of the voting.

But yeah, Ryuk is getting some major tweaks for DNM Rematch. I'm also thinking of making it bigger.

I like the 'bigger' option as it dilutes the DNH's control over the innocents. And agree that dawh had a difficult win scenario.

Oh, one thing I do want to point out: the simplistic "Aha, a baddie! Let's get him!" mentality is bad in this game, as we saw with Misa's lynch, and it's suppose to be that way. I wanted it to be somewhat complex, and I'm glad that Light and L both tried to make good use of that ;). The goal was to find a baddie and use that to discover the other baddies and the identity of the baddie. It was apparent from Ben Law's actions that he was Rem protecting Misa. Oh, and Ben Law also got a win, since Misa survived.

That is certainly what made this game interesting and is why I looked forward to finding out a role with my trap - lynching them would not have necessarily been the best option (eg PT) but more important was to see how others responded to them. Noone noticed my trap on the first day - sorry woon, I randomly chose JS to vote for you on the first night so had to encourage everyone to vote for you!

Looking forward to Rematch

Okay, here's the layout for DNM: Rematch

(Yes, I know Naomi's not actually part of the Kira Investigation team in the series...but she's just a cool character ;P)

Some changes: DNH don't know the Shinigami, only one DNH may have Shinigami Eyes at a time. Ryuk tweaked. Reduced L's chances by 10%. Gave Watari an one-use lynch saving ability. Added 1 DNH, 3 Task Force for a total of 16 players.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA: Rematch

The Death Note Holders win if all of the Task Force is dead. They cannot kill the Shinigami. The Death Note Holders have a total of 2 Death Notes and they know each other and are in communication. However, in order to kill someone, they must know their True Name. They can write one True Name of a player in each Death Note each night, they can choose whether the player will die that night or the night after. If they choose to write that the player dies the following night, they may "manipulate" the player by choosing who the player will vote for the next day. The vote will be changed secretly by me when I do the final tally. The DNH have priority, so they may choose to cancel the Night actions of the True Name written into a Death Note (after the reveal in L's and subsequently Mello's and Near's cases). The DNH may also choose to write the method of death, as along as it follows within the rules of the Death Note.

Light: Holds a Death Note. If Misa and Mikami both die, any night, he may choose to trade for the Shinigami Eyes, which allow their owner to see the True Name of one player each night. However, the trade is half of his remaining life...that is, there will be a 50% chance of his identity being revealed in the Night Post every night starting from the night the trade is made.

Misa: Holds a Death Note. Is known by Rem. She starts out with the Shinigami Eyes, so there is a 50% chance of her identity being revealed in every Night Post except the 1st one. Misa can not be lynched as long as Rem is alive. If Misa wins the lynch vote then Rem will step in and save her by writing the name of L, or a Task Force Member of Rem's choosing, in his Death Note, which results in Rem's death as well.

Mikami: He worships Kira as God. He will do anything for his God, including making the trade for Shinigami Eyes if Misa dies before him. If Misa or Light dies before him, he gains hold of a Death Note.

The Shinigami each have their own Death Note. However, they must choose wisely whether or not to use them. They have Shinigami Eyes because they are Shinigami and hence did not have to do the trade. Each night each of them choose someone to see the true name of with their Shinigami Eyes. Ryuk can kill on even nights and Rem can kill on odd nights, except the first one. The DNH have priority, they write the names of their chosen victims first, so if the Shinigami choose a person that the DNH have already written, the Shinigami Death Note is ineffective. They also each have their own win condition. Ryuk is in it for his own amusement while Rem is in love with Misa. Cannot kill the DNH.

Ryuk: Wins if he is able to be the one to end Light's life by writing Light's name in his Death Note. There are two ways he can do this: (1) if he and Light are the only ones left alive he will write Light's name in his Death Note and kill him or (2) if Light is lynched and Ryuk is still in the game, Ryuk will write Light's name in his Death Note instead. He knows the identity of Light.

Rem: Wins if Misa is alive at the end of the game. Knows Misa, and Misa cannot be lynched while Rem is alive. If Misa wins the lynch vote then Rem will step in and save her by writing the name of L, or a Task Force member of Rem's choosing if L is dead, in his Death Note, which results in Rem's death as well.

The Task Force wins if the Death Note Holders and the Shinigami are dead/gone. Here are their True Names:

L: A resourceful and intelligent person, he has a plethora of abilities at his disposal. He may choose one action or none each Night. However, since this is a game for their lives, each ability comes with a risk, that is, a % chance that his identity will be revealed to the Death Note Holders secretly that Night(he does not know):

See True Name of a player - 80% chance of being revealed.

See the last vote of a role – 60% chance of being revealed.

See action last taken by a role – 40% chance of being revealed.

Get a random Task Force Member name – 20% chance of being revealed.

Watari: L's retainer. Privy to L's secrets, including L's identity. Acts as L's public face. As long as Watari is alive, L may PM me a message to put in the Night Post. Once in the entire game, Watari may use his influence to save one person from being lynched. Must PM me before the Day ends.

Naomi Misori: Armed with the information he left her, she seeks justice for her fiancé who was killed by Kira. Every Day she receives information from one who was killed by Kira. After every Night Post and before the end of the Day the players died by having the DNH write their names in a Death Note may PM me a message to send to Naomi. If more than one player is killed by the DNH in the Night Post, then she chooses which one to receive a message from.

Chief Yagami: Once held a Death Note. May choose at any time to trade for Shinigami eyes, which will allow him to see the True Name of a player every night, however, there is a 50% chance his identity will be revealed in the Night Post every night from the Night the trade is made.

Aizawa: He is a wary individual. He can lay little "traps". Each Night he chooses a player to "trap" by guessing who that player will vote for in the Day. If his guess is correct, then the "trap" is sprung and he learns the True Name of the player.

Matsuda: He is bright-eyed and optimistic and naïve…just the kind of person the Shinigami can't stand. He can choose one player a night to give an apple to and if that person is chosen by a Shinigami to kill that night the Shinigami will eat the apple instead and the player will be saved.

Mogi: Strong, quiet, and reserved, he is highly skilled at tailing. Every Day he may choose a player to follow for the coming Night (must PM me before the Day Post), and if they die that Night he will learn the name of the player who wrote them into their Death Note. Cannot follow the same person two Nights in a row.

Aiber: A professional con-man who works for L. Every night he can choose to disguise himself as another player. If he is checked by the Shinigami Eyes, he appears as the True Name of that player.

Wedy: A former thief in the hire of L, she has a knack for planting bugs. Every Day she may choose two True Names to facilitate contact between the following Night, i.e. one True Name may PM me a message which I will PM to the True Name. Wedy chooses which True Name is to send the PM and which True Name is to receive it.

Mellow and Near: they are L's successors. As long as L is alive, they have no abilities. Once L dies, they each inherit L's abilities. However, since they can surpass L when they work together, if both choose the same ability and same target the chance of being revealed gets cut in half for each, otherwise the chance to be revealed is the same as for L.

Nice! Sounds good to me! :D

I second that for Ryuk. The most difficult thing was that I had no clue who the DNH were and Light was able to use that greatly to his advantage. If I had had even an inkling of Light's identity, then I could have had a fighting chance of getting him lynched... :P

I second that for Ryuk. The most difficult thing was that I had no clue who the DNH were and Light was able to use that greatly to his advantage. If I had had even an inkling of Light's identity, then I could have had a fighting chance of getting him lynched... :P

Haha...well, thanks for being my guinea pig...and it seems Light had the rest of the Task Force fooled as well...Matsuda trusted him completely...another "just like the anime" moment :lol:

Actually the hardest thing for Ryuk (which you didn't get to b/c of the other hard thing ;P) was that Light knew who he was after Rem sacrificed himself to save Misa, so he could use that as a counter if he was up for the lynch. So I made it so that the DNH don't know who the Shinigami are on the onset.

A note I should add: the Shinigami Eyes only work on humans, so if they're used on the Shinigami, it fails (but the user deduces that the target was a Shinigami).

But Ryuk still has to watch out for things...like I didn't add Watari's ability so that he could save L...;P...

Actually, a lot of the things I added were specifically designed to interact with other roles, that's part of the point of this game...teamwork...the Task Force members are weak by themselves but if they work as a team they are strong...hmmm...sounds like something Near says...;P

I'm still on the development stage of DNM2, which is going to pit Light and the Task Force vs. Mellow and the Mafia vs. Near and the SPK...it's going to take awhile though...;P

Oh, and I had this idea for DNM: Interlude, which would follow the arc where Light and L work together to go after the Yotsuba Corporation. Light would have the same abilities as L basically, but his goal would be to kill Higuchi himself in order to get his Death Note back. Light, Rem, and Misa would be the third faction and they would initially not know each other but would find each other and gain btsc by targeting the same ppl or eachother. Misa would have the ability to "distract" her target and make them unable to act for the Night. Rem would kill with his Death Note.

I'm sorry, but there's one thing that keeps making me twitch. Rem's female, not male. I realize that that is an insignificant detail, and I probably shouldn't be using my first post to point it out, but I just can't stop myself anymore.

I'm sorry, but there's one thing that keeps making me twitch. Rem's female, not male. I realize that that is an insignificant detail, and I probably shouldn't be using my first post to point it out, but I just can't stop myself anymore.

Uh...hi...welcome...

Actually, that point is ambiguous in the series, and it wasn't until Death Note: How to Read 13 (which came out a year after the manga series itself) that the point was cleared up...and in that section, it was pointed out that the clarification that Rem was female was needed b/c it was a commonly conceived that Rem was male in the series...since that's easier to work in with American audiences ;P and since this is my game, that's what I went with.

...funny how when ppl "can't stop themselves" it's always to criticize...no one ever feels the "unstoppable urge" to say anything positive...XP

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Actually, in the Yotsuba arc of the manga, Rem says she's female.

I hope that didn't come across as rude...

This is why I lurk; I can never seem to figure out how to say things politely...

Actually, in the Yotsuba arc of the manga, Rem says she's female.

I hope that didn't come across as rude...

This is why I lurk; I can never seem to figure out how to say things politely...

Really? Must of missed it...along with a large portion of the other readers...oh well...I'm keeping Rem male in the game for the reasons specified :rolleyes:

And it's not really what you said...it's just that it's weird to come into a game thread you didn't play in and say something if you're not going to say something nice (or relevant to the game) ;P

Edited by Yoruichi-san

I've been keeping an eye on this thread ever since I heard of it. ^^

I don't know what's weird and what's not, so I'll keep that in mind.

Well, thanks for your interest, and I don't mean to discourage you from posting your insights, but I by no means guarantee that my games will follow all the details of Death Note to the letter...(although I did steal L's death scene from the anime...hehe ;P)...I just wanted to create a game that was mentally intense and awesome like Death Note :D

Actually, you may want to try your hand at playing some of these mafia games...it's much funner than just reading ;)

Uh...hi...welcome...

Actually, that point is ambiguous in the series, and it wasn't until Death Note: How to Read 13 (which came out a year after the manga series itself) that the point was cleared up...and in that section, it was pointed out that the clarification that Rem was female was needed b/c it was a commonly conceived that Rem was male in the series...since that's easier to work in with American audiences ;P and since this is my game, that's what I went with.

...funny how when ppl "can't stop themselves" it's always to criticize...no one ever feels the "unstoppable urge" to say anything positive...XP

Not true! :P It happens to me all the time!

BTW, are you starting another game soon? This last one was really cool! :D

Edit: See what I mean?

Edited by RainThinker

Ooh...I had this idea for DNM: Interlude (the one that follows the Yotsuba arc...)

Basically, it's going to run 3 different factions, the "mafia" group is the Yotsuba group who has the Death Note. It starts in Higuchi's hands but if he dies then it gets passed on to a living member in a particular order. There will be the Task Force, with some adjustments (working on those), and then the third faction is going to be Rem, Misa, and Light and their goal is to kill the current holder of the Death Note so that they can get it back. They don't know each other at the beginning and they need to find each other by targeting each other or the same person. Rem kills with his Death Note and he has Shinigami Eyes. Misa's ability is to "distract" her target so that they can't act that Night. If Rem and Misa find each other then Misa can do the trade for the Shinigami Eyes. Light will have L's abilities, and they pair like Near and Mellow in this game...but the thing I was thinking about was this: Light doesn't know he's Light!

Basically, when the roles get PMed, both Light and L will be informed that they are L. Only when Light "comes in contact" with Misa or Rem will he be informed that he is Light. The coming in contact will not be made public.

What I think will be really interesting about this setup is how L and Light have to play...they know that their enemies of each other, but they also know that they're both enemies of the Yotsuba group...

Hmmm...I'm liking this more and more...will have to work on the other roles more though...

Edit: Oh, and DNM: Rematch starts after Heroes Hybrid ;P

Edited by Yoruichi-san

Hmm....The Light not knowing he's really Light until he comes in contact with Misa and Rem is a really interesting concept. But what about Ryuk??

Ryuk will not be a character in DNM: Interlude ;P

...but actually it gives me an interesting idea for a different Mafia game...maybe Matrix themed...where the baddies don't know they're baddies...

So instead of having one of each role, you have like 3 of each role, except one of them is actually a baddie, he's just not "self-aware" yet...you have one baddie at the beginning (Neo? ;P), who can target players for the kill, but if he targets a latent baddie, they become self-aware and join the baddie group (the player's name is not mentioned in the Night Post, of course). Neo cannot be killed until he makes another latent self-aware, so there'll always be one self-aware baddie.

I love the idea that people don't know everything about their own role - it's a bit like the reverse of UR's Jumper mafia (where people only know about their own role).

Looking forward to DNH: Rematch anyway, as I haven't got time for Hybrid this week. Perhaps I'll last longer this time ;) but, then, after lying so muchl in Jumper Mafia, I don't think anyone will believe anything I say!

I love the idea that people don't know everything about their own role - it's a bit like the reverse of UR's Jumper mafia (where people only know about their own role).

Looking forward to DNH: Rematch anyway, as I haven't got time for Hybrid this week. Perhaps I'll last longer this time ;) but, then, after lying so muchl in Jumper Mafia, I don't think anyone will believe anything I say!

Thanks! :D And I got the idea from the storyline...(like most of my DNM ideas)...Light gives up his Death Note and therefore loses the memories of being Kira...

But the DNM ideas just keep coming...I've also got some ideas for DNM2...which I think I'll rename DNM: C_______ (get the theme? ;P)

It will have 3 teams: Light and the Task Force, Mellow and the Mafia, Near and the SPK.

Each team will have a Death Note, as well as an assassin-type killer. Instead of saving roles, each team will have a role that is able to set a trap for the assassin by choosing the person the assassin targets, and if successful, they "capture" the assassin and his ID is revealed. Each team will be able to have one person trade for the Shinigami Eyes, with the 50% chance of being revealed. Without True Names, of course, the DNH can't kill, but the trade-off is to risk getting themselves revealed and thus killed...oh, and while there is no penalty for guessing wrong, there will be a "reward" for killing with the Death Note. For every successful Death Note kill, the morale of the team increases and the assassin gets a +(something percent chance, I'm thinking 25 right now) to escape a trap. I'm also thinking of putting in a double agent for each team...but that would mean that each team cannot have btsc...which actually might not be bad...hmmm...