BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Death Note Mafia

Yoruichi-san

DEATH NOTE MAFIA

The Death Note Holders win if all of the Task Force is dead. Since they hold the Death Notes, they can see the Shinigami (know who they are but not which is which) and they cannot kill the Shinigami. The Death Note Holders have a total of 2 Death Notes and they know each other and are in communication. However, in order to kill someone, they must know their True Name. They can write one True Name of a player in each Death Note each night, they can choose whether the player will die that night or the night after. If they choose to write that the player dies the following night, they may "manipulate" the player by choosing who the player will vote for the next day. The vote will be changed secretly by me when I do the final tally. The DNH have priority, so any Night actions of the True Name written into a Death Note gets cancelled (after the reveal in L's case). The DNH may also choose to write the method of death, as along as it follows within the rules of the Death Note.

Light: Holds a Death Note. Any night, he may choose to trade for the Shinigami Eyes, which allow their owner to see the True Name of one player each night. However, the trade is half of his remaining life...that is, there will be a 50% chance of his identity being revealed in the Night Post every night starting from the night the trade is made.

Misa: Holds a Death Note. Is known by Rem. She starts out with the Shinigami Eyes, so there is a 50% chance of her identity being revealed in every Night Post except the 1st one. Misa can not be lynched as long as Rem is alive. If Misa wins the lynch vote then Rem will step in and save her by writing the name of L, or a Task Force Member of Rem's choosing if L is dead, in his Death Note, which results in Rem's death as well.

The Shinigami each have their own Death Note. However, they must choose wisely whether or not to use them. They have Shinigami Eyes because they are Shinigami and hence did not have to do the trade. Each night each of them choose someone to see the true name of with their Shinigami Eyes. Ryuk can kill on even nights and Rem can kill on odd nights, except the first one. The DNH have priority, they write the names of their chosen victims first, so if the Shinigami choose a person that the DNH have already written, the Shinigami Death Note is ineffective. They also each have their own win condition. Ryuk is in it for his own amusement while Rem is in love with Misa. Cannot kill the DNH.

Ryuk: Wins if he is able to be the one to end Light's life by writing Light's name in his Death Note. There are two ways he can do this: (1) if he and Light are the only ones left alive he will write Light's name in his Death Note and kill him or (2) if Light is about to be lynched (wins the lynch vote) Ryuk may PM me "Light" before the Day Post and hence write his name in his Death Note instead. However, Ryuk may only PM me "Light" once and after the Day Post he will leave the game, whether in victory or in defeat.

Rem: Wins if Misa is alive at the end of the game. Knows Misa, and Misa cannot be lynched while Rem is alive. If Misa wins the lynch vote then Rem will step in and save her by writing the name of L, or a Task Force member of Rem's choosing if L is dead, in his Death Note, which results in Rem's death as well.

The Task Force wins if the Death Note Holders and the Shinigami are dead/gone. Here are their True Names:

L: A resourceful and intelligent person, he has a plethora of abilities at his disposal. He may choose one action or none each Night. However, since this is a game for their lives, each ability comes with a risk, that is, a % chance that his identity will be revealed to the Death Note Holders secretly that Night(he does not know):

See True Name of a player - 90% chance of being revealed.

See the last vote of a role – 70% chance of being revealed.

See action last taken by a role – 50% chance of being revealed.

Get a random Task Force Member name – 30% chance of being revealed.

Watari: L's retainer. Privy to L's secrets, including L's identity. Acts as L's public face. As long as Watari is alive, L may PM me a message to put in the Night Post.

Chief Yagami: Once held a Death Note. May choose at any time to trade for Shinigami eyes, which will allow him to see the True Name of a player every night, however, there is a 50% chance his identity will be revealed in the Night Post every night from the Night the trade is made.

Aizawa: He is a wary individual. He can lay little "traps". Each Night he chooses a player to "trap" by guessing who that player will vote for in the Day. If his guess is correct, then the "trap" is sprung and he learns the True Name of the player.

Matsuda: He is bright-eyed and optimistic and naïve…just the kind of person the Shinigami can't stand. He can choose one player a night to give an apple to and if that person is chosen by a Shinigami to kill that night the Shinigami will eat the apple instead and the player will be saved.

Wedy: A former thief in the hire of L, she has a knack for planting bugs. Every Day she may choose two True Names to facilitate contact between the following Night, i.e. one True Name may PM me a message which I will PM to the True Name. Wedy chooses which True Name is to send the PM and which True Name is to receive it.

Mellow and Near: they are L's successors. As long as L is alive, they have no abilities. Once L dies, they each inherit L's abilities. However, since they can surpass L when they work together, if both choose the same ability and same target the chance of being revealed gets cut in half for each, otherwise the chance to be revealed is the same as for L.

INTRO

The red-orange rays of the setting sun were refracted off the windows spanning the exterior of the sky-scraper. The fact that the building was taller than any of the surrounding structures made it seem that much more esoteric and aloof.

Inside, on the 22nd floor, there were two figures reclining on couches around a coffee table. Behind them was situated a panel of screens which displayed complete surveillance of the building. A spray of computers sat in front of the panel, each working on a separate search task. But the two figures ignored the hum of the computers as they chatted and enjoyed their tea.

"Ah, Watari's torte au chocolat is just as delectable as I remember it!" Y declared happily as she set down the fork on her now empty plate. She turned to face her companion, a young man in a white shirt with tousled hair who was sitting with his knees pulled up and his feet on his chair. "So, Mr. World's Greatest Detective…you've made quite a name for yourself…just as I expected you would. What interesting case are you working on now?"

L swallowed the last bite of his cake and cocked his head to one side. "Right now I'm hunting the serial killer that the public calls 'Kira'. Somehow he has been killing off criminals by making them have heart attacks. I don't understand the method he uses yet, but I do have a suspect in mind that I believe to be Kira."

"Oh yeah, I've heard about that…" Y mused. "I figured that you would be interested in the case. Back at Redrum University, you were always the one interested in the strange cases…"

L twirled his fork in between his fingers. "Yeah…well, I was never as lucky as you when it came to stumbling onto cases, so I had to go look for ones no one else had solved yet." L put down his fork and asked "Well, what about you? I haven't heard from you since graduation…what have you been up to these past few years?"

Y gave him the full benefit of her enigmatic smile. "Oh…this and that…I've recently taken on an, uh, 'overseer' position of sorts…"

Just then, the elevator slid open and an elderly man in a butler's uniform walked into the room. "Excuse me sir," he addressed L "It's about time for the meeting of the Task Force."

"Well, guess I'd better get going," Y said, standing up. "It was great seeing you again!"

Watari bowed as Y passed him. After the elevator doors close behind her, he turned to L and uttered "I hope you keep in touch with her this time. Her finding you like this has given you a second chance."

L shrugged as he got up and prepared to go back to work "Well, if I survive this one, maybe we'll have tea together again."

On the 13th floor, a lanky boy with shoulder-length straw colored hair and distrustful eyes was leaning against wall, munching on a bar of chocolate.

On the 7th floor, a short boy with ashen hair was hunched in front of a pile of Legos, twirling his hair in his fingers.

On the 5th floor, a blonde woman, a naïve young-looking man, and a man with wary eyes and an afro were playing cards. The blonde woman threw her cards down on table and grinned triumphantly at her companions. "Read them and weep, boys!" The men groaned. Well, they should have known better than to play cards with a former thief…

The elevator slid open on the ground floor of the investigations building. Y stepped out just as a stoic-looking man stepped in. He wore glasses and had a stern look on his time-worn features. The white streaks in his dark hair also paid witness to the many hard fights this man has seen. This was a man who had spent much in his life fighting in the war for justice. Now he was a player in this crucial battle.

Just as Y reached the end of the lobby, a young man with light brown hair stepped through the door of the building, followed by a cheerful-looking girl with bleached hair in pigtails. The young man had an earnest, honest look arranged on his face, but his eyes divulged acuteness and calculation. Close behind the pair was what appeared to be a lavender mummy and a hulking black monster with pallid skin. The black monster was tossing an apple up and down. He tossed the apple up, and then his bulging yellow eyes alighted upon Y. The apple dropped to the ground. Y winked at him and put a finger up to her lips, making a soft shushing sound. Ryuk recovered and nodded in acknowledgment.

Y pushed through the front doors and walked out into the crisp night air. She took a deep breath and an enigmatic smile passed over her lips. I'm glad I gave Ryuk that extra Death Note, she mused. This will definitely be interesting.

_______________: Y

Roster:

1) Dawh

2) Prof. Templeton

3) Sinistral

4) Cherry Lane

5) Grey Cells

6) Itachi-san

7) Brandonb

8) Joe's Student

9) Rene83

10) Woon

11) FoolontheHill

12) Ben Law

Okay, role PMs will be sent shortly. Also, there will be small Death Note challenges, mostly trivia related...which may or may not have an influence on the game ;P. First one is to fill in the blank B)) .

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have absolutely no clue...I hope that some of the other challenges are a little less esoteric (in that they require knowledge of Death Note, which I have none, and maybe a bit more mathish

:P )

However, to have an actual guess, I'd try: "That woman." ;)

I'm glad to see everyone onboard. Some awesome guesses so far...some may even be correct ;P. But JS...Mikami...really? I'm insulted... <_<

;P

Gotta get in the final PMs. Also, the Night Posts won't be quite so epic...but there's a good reason for that ;).

Looking forward to having great fun together! :D

NIGHT ONE

A dying streetlight flickered as the young man walked up to his apartment building. The burst briefly illuminated the thoughtful expression on his face. In his hand, the young man clasp a dark notebook with the letters DEATH NOTE engraved on the cover. On one of the its pages, a name had been carefully written early that night.

Guess I was wrong about Itachi-san’s True Name, Light thought as he turned the key in the lock and pushed open the door to his apartment. Immediately, a vapid odor assaulted his nostrils. A few seconds later, a strong force pushed him back. The indomitable force was Misa, wearing a modified maid’s outfit, rushing into his arms.

“Light!” she cried eagerly. “Misa Misa made dinner just for you!”

Light looked around at the mess of pots and pans that claimed his kitchen. “Yeah…I can see that…” he coughed, “…and smell that…” Well, I couldn’t kill Itachi with the Death Note, but eating Misa’s cooking would kill him for sure, Light thought, holding his breath.

Misa put on a huge grin. “I tried a new recipe today…this time I remembered to make sure I was using sugar, not salt!…But we didn’t have any molasses, so I used soy sauce instead…”

“Uh…” Light interjected, his clever mind desperately searching for a new ploy to avert the upcoming disaster. “I’m sure it’s delicious…but I’m full…you know how L is with the snacks at his meetings…”

Seeing the pout on Misa’s face and having the image of Rem waving a Death Note flash through his mind, Light quickly changed the subject “Besides, we have something to do…an important thing, and I can’t do it without you.”

Misa’s eyes lit up for a moment, but then they dimmed again. “Oh, you mean with that…

Light nodded and a devilish glint came into his eyes. “Yeah, there’s someone I want you to meet…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the 22nd floor of the Investigations Building, an elderly gentleman pushed a cart over to a hunched figure. On the cart was a laptop computer next to a microphone. The screen of the laptop displayed a elaborately written letter, the letter L.

“Thank you, Watari,” L said as he picked up the microphone. He took a deep breath and then nodded to Watari to indicate he was ready for the broadcast to begin:

Well, the battle for true justice has begun!

It seems that I have a nice little podium to stand on right now. Considering it is in the best interest of the Shinigami and the DNH to keep me alive until they have at least taken out Near or Mellow. Otherwise their problems will double when the two of them take my place.

With this in mind, I have considered revealing myself, but that wouldn't be too helpful unless I chose to seek the true name of a role. However, according to Ysan, my ID would be revealed to the DNH in the middle of last night if I turned out to be on the wrong end of the odds.

Now my problem is that I need to get this message out before I use the ability, so that the DNH will realize that it's not a good idea to kill me up front. Since they would know my identity before the rest of you, and possibly kill me without any of you knowing… the least I can do is just go ahead and reveal myself to everyone at once. I am L, I am… Sinistral.

I trust that all of the DNH will realize that killing me so soon will be disadvantageous to them. In the mean time, I must request that all Task Force members be as active as possible in the conversation, this should help to alleviate the chances of one of us getting lynched merely for inactivity.

Good luck task force. Wedy, I need to send you a message…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Light set his pen down and closed the Death Note. L set the microphone down and turned off the laptop computer. There was a slight quiver in his hand as he pulled it back. He couldn't help being excited. The first step of his plan had been put into action. Now it was time for the games to really begin.

post-7969-1224654803_thumbjpg

And the Light dawns on a new Day! ;P

Shinigami King: Y

Roster:

1) Dawh

2) Prof. Templeton

3) Sinistral

4) Cherry Lane

5) Grey Cells

6) Itachi-san

7) Brandonb

8) Joe's Student

9) Rene83

10) Woon

11) FoolontheHill

12) Ben Law

Day ends in 24 hrs.

Okay, sleepytime for me...just wanted to state:

If this were easy, it wouldn't be Death Note B)):P

And as usual, no clues in the Night Post or the Day Post. Pronouns used apply to the characters, not for players. The message from L is his own wording.

Hope you get what I was trying to accomplish with the colors at the end...;P

Hope you get what I was trying to accomplish with the colors at the end...;P

Any guesses what it means ???

Only that red is typically the color used for baddies, so it was fitting for Light. Likewise, blue would be appropriate for L. But no, I can't guess what the reason was for making those sentences colored.

Meanwhile, Sinistral: do you take credit for the night message, or are you being set up somehow? And if it is you, did you learn anything significant?

edit: ignore that last bit, just realized the message said you didn't seek any info

Edited by Cherry Lane

The third color could be for a different character, not L. That third person could be Aizawa, I guess. Springing a trap and waiting for the prey?

ok, somehow I missed the purple. In the red and the blue, two opposing characters are doing similar actions at the same time. The purple (red+blue) applies to both. That is, they each have a plan....

ok, somehow I missed the purple. In the red and the blue, two opposing characters are doing similar actions at the same time. The purple (red+blue) applies to both. That is, they each have a plan....

That is what I got out of it also. The red and blue were the two different characters (L's hair is blue, and Light's hair is red, at least in the anime). Then the purple applies to both.

In the show they both typically are doing something/saying something at the same time, but with different intentions. So L and Light both have a plan they put into action, that is why the colors blend. Their motives are different though, which is why the colors are different to start. Plus the colors are the same from the show in how the characters are often highlighted. L is always Blue and Light is always Red.

Yes I realize this sounds counter-intuitive, but if you think about it logically, I think that coming forward was the best course of action. If I am killed, then there will be two people who take my place who have better abilities if they work together. To put it into words most of us have heard before, the DNH and Shinigami should realize that "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." :P

Having said that, I don't expect to survive until the end of the game, in fact I am very certain that I will die, but at least for now it does not make sense for them to kill me. By coming forward as L, I can be more helpful than waiting and staying quiet and possibly being killed without anyone knowing. I made that mistake in the Heroes game and I don't want to repeat it.

CL, I didn't get any information last night, we will have to depend on the task force working together, so Wedy as I mentioned before, I have a message for you. I will try to keep sending messages through Watari or Wedy so that the DNH and Shinigami do not know what we are up to.

I am with you BL, it is difficult to devise a strategy this tiem around. So if Sinistral gets whacked then that leaves Mello and Near to be double trouble. therefore it would not be in the baddies interest to kill him off or then there will be 2 people to deal with insetad of one. i wonder if the colors may represent Mello adn Near and their combination would be SInistral.....

Edit: I was also thinking that maybe the colors had something to do with the person's name like maybe blue=BL or BB purple =prof templ. ... but that doesnt make sense.... ugh head hurts. Gonna get back to work...

Edited by rene83

Well I don't know if outing yourself as L was the best move. After my first read of your message, I wondered why you didn't try to obtain a True Name, but I see now the DNH would have been notified and might have killed you before you got the message out. I still don't see Mellow and Near as much of a deterent though, with so many people to choose from. The odds are low that both will target to same person. They seem more useful when fewer people remain. Plus with you gone there would be no more night messages. Maybe I'm missing something key. Would you want an apple tonight, just in case? That would protect you from the Shinigami at least, but not the DNH.

The purple was like the time in the show when both Light and L both say "I am JUSTICE!" at the same time. Nothing more... I don't think :unsure:

So Light's already out huh? I guess the deterrent may be effective, but I do agree that there's no way you're gonna last to the end of the game now :P I hope you realized that as soon as one of the Shinigami nail one of your replacements with the Shinigami eyes (they both get to use the eyes every single night and a kill every day [that's 2 IDs per night, and 1 kill per night]), they're gonna come after you next.

I'm not exactly sure how we are supposed to win against something like that. I guess the best thing for us is that Ryuk shouldn't care about killing anyone but Light.

Well, from what I could gather in the night post, the DNH made an attempt on Itachi and it didn't work, but the other attempt was not mentioned. At this point, I can no longer speculate if Itachi was attacked merely because he was a guess, or if he is one of the DNH trying to throw suspicion off of himself. This has become a cliche, and I don't care to make that accusation. As for the other, unmentioned name written in the note... I assume that means that they specified the character to die the following night. So it will not be mentioned/confirmed until the post tonight. :ph34r:

Good news though, the actions from last night do give me a good idea. Tomorrow night, the DNH should write Ryuk's name in the death note. He will not die, but his name will be revealed in the night post. That way we can lynch Ryuk the next day. :D

Now... I'm not sure who to vote for in the lynch today. So I will reserve my vote for now, until people begin to become somewhat active. Also, I will not be around for the next 4hrs b/c I'm heading to the State Fair. B)) Take it easy everyone, viva la task force! :lol:

Edited by Brandonb