BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I've changed the formula for this Puzzlaholics. This time the answers aren't really homonyms at all, they are words that change meaning if you split them into two words. Here's an example:

CLUE:

It's a country populated by male deer. Nothing ever changes or moves on.

stag-nation

I'll add spoilers to this post when people get the answers.

Please use spoilers for your guesses!

1) Walking along the high street, she amused herself by keeping count of the number of adult males that passed by. She did it silently in her head, to keep her mind occupied.

men-tally

2) A whole kingdom at his command, but solving the puzzle was all he cared about. He wouldn't even eat, and grew emaciated as he pondered the enigma day and night.

thin-king

3) We could tell that there was an object, but from such a distance we could not say what it was. It eventually turned out to be an old bronze coin, of little value.

far-thing

4) He made a move and then stopped, unable to decide whether he should leave the pool. For a moment he stood still, and the only movement was a circular ripple which expanded around him until it broke against the side.

wave-ring

5) The after-dinner speaker rose to her feet and began to clear her throat. As she did so, a hush fell over the guests and they turned to listen. She coughed a little into her handkerchief. Everybody waited in silence.

expect-oration

6) "I have come to estimate the value of your musical donkeys. Ah, listen to them bray! And so in tune! They will certainly be worth a lot."

asses-sing

7) "NO SKATING ON THE POND" said the sign. It was good advice, considering the fact that the pond water wasn't frozen.

not-ice

8) The subterranean creatures awaited the underground train. Crowded onto the platform in the dark, many of them had to endure unwanted groping.

mole-station

9) High in the hills, the shepherd thought about long ago. Many years before, he had been an expert in the field of lip-reading. Now he was in a field of sheep.

past-oralist

10) The lovers met secretly, same time same place every week, always experimenting with new sensations. One time they injected bee venom into each other to see how it felt.

try-sting

11) "I'm penniless! It's all your fault!" screamed the client, furiously pounding the desk.

"Please, calm yourself, sir." said the agent. "I am sorry that this has happened, but I must point out that we are not responsible. We only negotiate transactions on your behalf."

broke-rage

12) The rocky peak ripped in two, and from the crack which opened a great outpouring of water gushed forth.

tor-rent

13) He knew he was just a simple man from the country, out of place among these sophisticated city folk. Some of them sniffed the air around him, and he realised that he must smell of the farmyard. Embarrassed, he started to blush.

rube-scent

14) "He's on our side, so we keep him up to date with any developments. But we don't follow procedure when doing that, a friendly phone call will suffice."

inform-ally

15) As the owner of the scrap yard spoke to her, she looked around. Through the light fog she saw the hulking wrecks of cars, slowly oxidizing in the damp air. She felt only paranoia, and didn't believe a word he said.

mist-rust

I've changed the formula for this Puzzlaholics. This time the answers aren't really homonyms at all, they are words that change meaning if you split them into two words. Here's an example:

CLUE:

It's a country populated by male deer. Nothing ever changes or moves on.

stag-nation

I'll add spoilers to this post when people get the answers. There are 6 clues to start with, and I'll add 9 more later so they don't all go at once.

Please use spoilers for your guesses!

1) Walking along the high street, she amused herself by keeping count of the number of adult males that passed by. She did it silently in her head, to keep her mind occupied.

2) A whole kingdom at his command, but solving the puzzle was all he cared about. He wouldn't even eat, and grew emaciated as he pondered the enigma day and night.

3) We could tell that there was an object, but from such a distance we could not say what it was. It eventually turned out to be an old bronze coin, of little value.

4) He made a move and then stopped, unable to decide whether he should leave the pool. For a moment he stood still, and the only movement was a circular ripple which expanded around him until it broke against the side.

5) The after-dinner speaker rose to her feet and began to clear her throat. As she did so, a hush fell over the guests and they turned to listen. She coughed a little into her handkerchief. Everybody waited in silence.

6) "I have come to estimate the value of your musical donkeys. Ah, listen to them bray! And so in tune! They will certainly be worth a lot."

3. Far-thing

6. Asses-sing.

1) Walking along the high street, she amused herself by keeping count of the number of adult males that passed by. She did it silently in her head, to keep her mind occupied. - Men-Tally

as$-wage?

Edited by puzzlegirl

Maybe wave-ring

Yeah, I really like these too! Great puzzles!

9) High in the hills, the shepherd thought about long ago. Many years before, he had been an expert in the field of lip-reading. Now he was in a field of sheep. - wool-gathering

edit: added # to spoiler

Edited by PoudreAvenger

Yeah, I really like these too! Great puzzles!

9) High in the hills, the shepherd thought about long ago. Many years before, he had been an expert in the field of lip-reading. Now he was in a field of sheep. - wool-gathering

edit: added # to spoiler

That tickled me but it's not the answer! Looking back over some of the wrong answers there's some quite fun ones, I like grey cells' "toast-er", lol. I've added 3 more so there's 4 up for grabs now. And thanks to everyone for the big ups - it's nice to be appreciated :wub:

11) "I'm penniless! It's all your fault!" screamed the client, furiously pounding the desk.

"Please, calm yourself, sir." said the agent. "I am sorry that this has happened, but I must point out that we are not responsible. We only negotiate transactions on your behalf."

broke-rage

Edited by Cherry Lane