BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The monks riddle

Question

Hi! 1st post. I love riddles, although I'm not so great about solving them . Anyway, here's one for you. Sorry if this has been posted, but if it uses other phrasing it's really impossible to me to find it.

There is an island of monks where everyone has either brown eyes or red eyes. Monks who have red eyes are cursed, and are supposed to commit suicide at midnight. However, no one ever talks about what color eyes they have, because the monks have a vow of silence. Also, there are no reflective surfaces on the whole island. Thus, no one knows their own eye color; they can only see the eye colors of other people, and not say anything about them. Life goes on, with brown-eyed monks and red-eyed monks living happily together in peace, and no one ever committing suicide. Then one day a tourist visits the island monastery, and, not knowing that he’s not supposed to talk about eyes, he states the observation “At least one of you has red eyes.” Having acquired this new information, something dramatic happens among the monks. What happens?

3 answers to this question

they vote the tourist off the island, and go on living peaceful lives.

[2] they put on blindfolds, and go on living peaceful, clumsy lives.

[3] they order a case of Visine, and go on living peaceful lives.

[4] they rip the hands off all the island clocks, and go on living peaceful lives.

[5] they forget their vow of silence and decide after much debate to forget the curse as well, and go on living peaceful lives.

[6] they buy computers and stay up night after night solving riddles on brainden.com until they all have red eyes, and go on living peaceful lives.

[1] they vote the tourist off the island, and go on living peaceful lives.

[2] they put on blindfolds, and go on living peaceful, clumsy lives.

[3] they order a case of Visine, and go on living peaceful lives.

[4] they rip the hands off all the island clocks, and go on living peaceful lives.

[5] they forget their vow of silence and decide after much debate to forget the curse as well, and go on living peaceful lives.

[6] they buy computers and stay up night after night solving riddles on brainden.com until they all have red eyes, and go on living peaceful lives.

still laughing

btw, check puzzle called Josephine - that's what redstone was probably looking for ... nevertheless, I like bonanova's spoiler much much more

Welcome to the boards, redstone. I'm going to assume that the solution you're looking for is the one given in the riddle that rookie1ja linked to. Since the logic behind the riddles seems to be the same, further discussion can be had there. PM me if you're looking for a different solution. Until then:

this thread is locked