BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

unreality

Question

Mage Duel!

Simple. Non-Time Consuming. Quick. Fun :D

The Goal: Be the last mage standing!

The Gameplay: the game moves in 'rounds'. In a round, each mage casts a bunch of spells at once, in an epic blur of incantations, curses, hexes and jinxes that dominate the duel chamber with blasting lights and violent sounds.

During the round sometime, each mage must PM me who they are casting each spell on for that round (your potent magical mastery means you can cast all the spells in each round).

The Spells:

* Freeze - paralyzes a mage for the next round only, disabling him/her from casting any spells. Doesn't affect the current round. However, if more than one mage freezes someone, the spells cancel out and no freeze occurs. You CAN freeze yourself if you think that someone else will be freezing you (and nobody else), but of course this can backfire if you end up being the only person freezing yourself :D

* Shield - the Shield is a field of pure energy that surrounds and protects you. Each mage starts with 5 Shield Points, and each round they can cast Shield on another player (not themselves) to add 1 Shield Point to that player's defense. 10 Shield Points is the maximum number of Shield Points you can have

* Curse - remove 1 Shield Point from someone. Shield and Curse are cofluxes, which means that if you choose to not cast Shield, you cannot cast Curse either, and vice versa. The Shield/Curse targets MUST be different, you cannot cast them both on the same person. 0 Shield Points is the minimum number of Shield Points you can have

* Coup de Grace - after all spells (other than Coup de Grace spells) have taken effect, if someone has 0 Shield Points and the Coup de Grace spell is cast on them, they die. Otherwise, the Coup de Grace has no effect

* Flummox - causes someone to be incredibly confused, and mix up their spell targets... 1/3 to mix up Freeze and Shield, 1/3 to mix up Curse and Shield, and 1/3 to mix up Flummox and Curse. The Flummox only has a 1/4 chance of success. Of those that do succeed in the round, the Flummox of the earliest person on the list will take effect first, then the next, and so on

* Vacuum - half the time, it sucks up all the spells cast BY the target. The other half of the time, it sucks up all the spells cast ON the target. The Vacuum only has a 1/8 chance of success. Of those that do succeed in the round, the Vacuum of the earliest person on the list will take effect first, then the next, and so on, just like Flummox

* Spell of Choice - for this spell, you choose from your diverse arsenal of magic: [None of these spells have specific targets, they affect the group as a whole]

** Hexquake - everyone either loses 1 Shield Point (70%) or gains 1 (30%), including yourself

** Magelore - unlocks a new Spell of Choice for everyone to use

** Aqua Vida - gives 2 Shield Points to the mage with the least amount of SP, if there are multiple mages of that amount then the target is chosen randomly from those people

** Magnetic Surge - all Flummoxes move up by 4%. Ie, originally they have a 25% chance. For each Magnetic Surge cast in the round, however, the chance increases by 4%. This value is totaled before the Flummoxes are rolled

** Quid Pro Quo I - everyone that cast Shield on you during the round gains 1 Shield Point themselves

** Quid Pro Quo II - everyone that cast Curse on you during the round loses 1 Shield Point themselves

Note: Shield is the only spell you cannot cast on yourself

The Final Duel: When it gets down to 2 people, rules change. Many spells are no longer castable and rules change. We'll see when it gets to that point :D

Duel Master: Unreality

1) Anyone wanna sign up? :P

• Answers 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I saw it already, sounds interesting, maybe I'll join since it doesn't sound like too much of a time waster. How long will the rounds probably be, a day each? And when do you plan on starting this(though people signing up might be an issue)?

Edited by Frost

I saw it already, sounds interesting, maybe I'll join since it doesn't sound like too much of a time waster. How long will the rounds probably be, a day each? And when do you plan on starting this(though people signing up might be an issue)?

"saw it already"? I just made it up :D

And yeah the rounds will probably be about a day

signing up... I propose that there be a way of obtaining locked spells or something...

Did you see the Magelore choice spell? :D

Edit_ Just gave this a five.

oh yeah I forgot about the vandal, I just gave it 5* too :P

1) Frost

2) Frozen in Fire

3) More Valiant Mages :D Remember, the earlier you sign up, the better Flummox and Vacuum advantage you have ;D

"saw it already"? I just made it up :D

I interpreted frost's comment as "before your impatient bumping"

1) Frost

2) Frozen in Fire

3) Cherry Lane

I'll give it a try. You have very inventive games! I hope we can see this one through to its conclusion.

hehe :P

our current roster:

1) Frost

2) Frozen in Fire

3) CL

4) PG

5) c'mon, sign up, you know you want to :D And the earlier you do, the more effective your Flummox and Vacuums are of course ;D

Sweet, huge advantage, here I come! :P

our current roster:

1) Frost

2) Frozen in Fire

3) CL

4) PG

5) GC

6)Panther

C'mon, sign up, you know you want to And the earlier you do, the more effective your Flummox and Vacuums are of course.

P.s. How many players are you wating for untill we play?

our current roster:

1) Frost

2) Frozen in Fire

3) CL

4) PG

5) GC

6) Panther

7) Dragonjest22

C'mon, sign up, you know you want to... and the earlier you do, the more effective your Flummox and Vacuums are. :)

Lucky number 7?

edit: typo

Edited by Dragonjest22

1) Frost

2) Frozen in Fire

3) CL

4) PG

5) GC

6)Panther

7) Dragonjest22

8) foolonthehill

Looks like my Flummox and Vacuums will get left to last - though I don't see that as too much of a disadvantage, as there's only a 1/4 x 1/4 x 2/3 (ish) chance of colliding should one person above me flummox the same person (and 1/8 x 1/8 x 1/2 for Vacuums).

Only going to have intermittent access over the weekend, but should have enough to play this one, assuming it starts before then.

edit: before I get told off for my poor maths, I know there are actually 6 people above me: my point is that flummoxes/vacuum often don't work.

edit2: cross-posted - but now there's 7 people above me: I should get quicker at posting!

Edited by foolonthehill

When should we start? I'm thinking after we get 9 or 10, but I'm flexible, it depends on what you guys want ;D

That sounds alright considering that we don't want anyone to slow us down, and it would probably take longer to reduce a larger group of people in the game.

Of course, just don't cheat :D Hehe, I'm just kidding, no offense taken I hope ;D

1) Frost

2) Frozen in Fire

3) CL

4) PG

5) GC

6) Panther

7) Dragonjest22

8) foolonthehill

9) Mekal

anyone else? :D

I'll try :P i don't know if my dark and devious mind can avoid tring to find a loophole somewhere :P JK...

1) Frost

2) Frozen in Fire

3) CL

4) PG

5) GC

6) Panther

7) Dragonjest22

8) foolonthehill

9) Mekal

10) Dawh

I definitely don't see this as being a huge time requirement, so I'll give it a go.