BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Toast

unreality

Question

The only solution I can come up with is that she splits the third slice down the middle and makes two thinner slices out of it and puts both original sides face down on the pan. Not sure if that violates any conditions of your riddle since there are actually four slices now though.

She puts two slices in the pan; after 30 seconds she has toasted one side of each. She turns over the first slice, takes the second from the pan, and in its place puts the third slice. After the second half minute the first slice is done and the other two are half done. In the last 30 seconds she finishes the second and third slices.

Yep. It's that easy. But lots of people miss the solution. I did. (And Martini did)

It's automatic assumption that you have to toast each piece entirely...

Yep. It's that easy. But lots of people miss the solution. I did. (And Martini did)

It's automatic assumption that you have to toast each piece entirely...

Actually, it did cross my mind. But I thought the point of the riddle stating "After toasting one side of a slice, she turns it over" was to add the condition that putting any slices aside for later toasting wasn't an option.

I got here too late to get my answer in, but here's my reasoning without reading what must be the only solution:

[1] There's enough time to get the job done.

[2] If you do two slices in the first two time slots, you lose - cuz you cant do both sides of the third slice at the same time.

[3] So you have to involve the third slice during the 2nd time slot.

[4] Then there's only one possibility for the 3rd time slot, and it's the answer.

Good problem. Simple, yet not obvious ...

To toast all six sides at 30 seconds each in 90 seconds, you clearly have to keep two slices in the pan for three sets of 30 seconds, which is easy. After 30 seconds, flip one slice, replace the other. After 60 seconds, you'll have 1 slice toasted to tastiness, and two which will finish during the remaining 30 seconds.

How bout toasting one side of two slices=30 seconds, then remove one slice (already toasted on one side), toast the other side of one slice (completely toasted now) and the one side of piece number 3=1 minute, now take the completely toasted piece out and replace it with the piece that is toasted on one side (placing the untoasted side down) and flipping the piece that is already in the pan=1.5 minutes and both sides toasted. There was probably an easier way to explain it but I think that does it.

I'd put all three slices in the pan at the same time. Peices A and B, one on top of the other, C all alone. Toast one side of A (B is still on top) and C first for 30 seconds. Flip over to toast one side of B (A is now on top) and the other side of C for 30 seconds. Take out C as it is now done, separate A and B to toast the only side of each that hasn't been down yet and you're done.

Or you could place piece C on top of A & B, where half of A & B are exposed.

30 secs - Piece C and half of A & B are toasted. Rotate A & B 180 degrees and flip piece C

60 secs - Piece C is completely toasted. A & B are toasted on one side. Now flip A & B.

90 secs - All 3 pieces are toasted.

TADA

I am old enough to remember using the old fashion toaster that had 2 doors on each side - it toasted one side at a time - then you opened the doors and manually turned the slices over and toasted the other side. so I did not have to "figure" this one out, I knew from experience the answer. l0l

Its also something you get from expeirience if your whole family is made of grilled-cheese junkies, and your the only one who can make grilled-cheese properly. :P

Edited by Noa

this is so easy it's boring the answer is she uses 2 pans duh it never says she doesn't have two pans pwned............................................................. -_- ( ^_^ )

Mother makes tasty toast in a small pan. After toasting one side of a slice, she turns it over. Each side takes 30 seconds.

The pan can only hold two slices. How can she toast both sides of three slices in 1 & 1/2 instead of 2 minutes?

there are 3 slices. slice-1 and slice-2 are placed on pan. After 30 sec, slice-1 will be turned over. slice-2 is kept outside of pan and slice -3 will be placed on pan.

After 30 sec, slice-1 will be toasted completely, on both sides. and slice-3 will be flipped over and place slice-2 on the pan to toast the side which was not done earlier.

Afer 30 sec, slice-2 and slice-3 will be toasted completely.

So, mission is completed in 1 and 1/2 min.

Mother makes tasty toast in a small pan. After toasting one side of a slice, she turns it over. Each side takes 30 seconds.

The pan can only hold two slices. How can she toast both sides of three slices in 1 & 1/2 instead of 2 minutes?

As written it can not be done. You should have left off the "After toasting one side of a slice, she turns it over". Now you could stretch it and say that taking a piece out of the pan she turns it over in the process, but that is a big stretch. As written it is saying that you have to toast each side in order (turn it over after toasting one side).

Thus there is actually only 1 right answer, put the 2 pieces in the pan and 1 piece UNDER the pan. :)

dunno if already posted...I got tired of reading so I skipped to last page and posted.

find a way to keep two pieces of toast in at all times. NEVER toast a single piece on it's own.

first thirty seconds: 1side of a and one side of b toasted

second thirty seconds: finish a and 1 side of c

third thirty seconds: finish b and c