BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

If you dont already know I am studding for my pilots license. I have an exam in a week. But I cant study as brainden is far too distracting. So I am going to employ you to ask me questions about flying/law/nav/weather and i will try to answer them etc.. just to keep me on track :D

I think she meant Jeopardy, the game show in which you are given the answer and you have to figure out the question.

That sound simple..unless it has to be the exact question? in that nearly imposibble

When navigating by WAAS GPS on approach, what is the minimum decision height before you establish visual with the landing strip?

You seam to know lots about flying.. Probably more than me.

The "Decision Height" is dependant on the type of aircraft, pilot and the airport.

It is seperated into 3 major and 3 minor sections.

I think these are the standard figgures, though depending on the airport location and terrain they could be different.

Cat 1: 200ft 550m visability

Cat 2: 100ft 200m visablility

Cat 3a: 50ft 100m visability

Cat 3b: 0ft 75m visablity

Cat 3c: 0ft 0m visability

Note: If far as I know there are no cat 3c airports in the world.

Before you can make a cat 3b landing, all airport aircraft and pilot need to be rated at cat 3b.

for the airport need to have a cat 3b rating to get this rating the airport needs to have lots more than normal lights, self monitored ILS/GP, 2 standby generators ( 1 running at all times), and limited movements on the ground/air.

For a aircraft to be cat 3b it needs a auto land function which is reliable and tested to standards.

For a pilot to be cat 3b he needs to have passed exams, and current ( so many cat 3 landings in the last few months)

Am I close PuzzleGirl?

That's cool that ur gonna be a pilot. are you gonna fly jet blue or delta or something??

"Captain: taliesin at your service!!!"

Only my Private Pilots License at the moment, I just messed up on one of my exams so probably wont get it done by Christmas now ( was my goal)

Oh well. i like to fly. Im going to africa next year so if you fly a public airline, and say That captain taliesin is at you service, i could go up and say hi im peace*out. probobly not but that would be cool!!!!!!!!

It takes alot of years to get a job on a heavey jet. I not sure if I could even make it that high If I tried.

You seam to know lots about flying.. Probably more than me.

The "Decision Height" is dependant on the type of aircraft, pilot and the airport.

Am I close PuzzleGirl?

HA! The first set of questions was from me, but this last question was written by my husband who is the Director of Engineering at an avionics company. :D

As for your answer, he said that you are right on all counts. He was just expecting the standard answer of 200ft, but you took it further and suggested the variables...which you were spot-on about. Great Job!!

HA! The first set of questions was from me, but this last question was written by my husband who is the Director of Engineering at an avionics company. :D

As for your answer, he said that you are right on all counts. He was just expecting the standard answer of 200ft, but you took it further and suggested the variables...which you were spot-on about. Great Job!!

Aha, so this is where you hide from me. I will forgive you. My atomic passion. xox Ahemmm,

Next question. What altitude should you be near when you lower the wheels? Easy one.

:D Thanks

It help that I have just be involved with upgrading a airport from cat1 to cat3b. The plane I play in has no IFR equiptment either :D

Aha, so this is where you hide from me. I will forgive you. My atomic passion. xox Ahemmm,

Next question. What altitude should you be near when you lower the wheels? Easy one.

Hmmm.. my aircraft has fixed wheels...

I would Lower wheels on mid finals. If you do so too soon you waste fuel. If you do it too late they have a chance of failing and not been able to go around. Also they change the charactisitcs quite dramatically so wouldn't do it at a too slower speed.

Thaking all this into account I would say 1000ft above Airfield level.