BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

If you dont already know I am studding for my pilots license. I have an exam in a week. But I cant study as brainden is far too distracting. So I am going to employ you to ask me questions about flying/law/nav/weather and i will try to answer them etc.. just to keep me on track :D

here we go in flying what is optional but its opposite is mandatory?

Edit: typo

Thats far too cryptic to me.. I will have to guess turn transponder on ( oppisite is to turn it off), second thoughts it doesn't sound right :(

If your electrical panel goes out, what is the first step you should take?

Check the circuit breakers if blown turn master power off, reset breaker ( only once) and turn equiptment back on..

What is the lowest altitude a small aircraft can fly over a populated area?

Must be 500ft about the highest point within a 2Mile Area around you aircraft.. I Think..

Name all the analog instruments on your panel.

Altimeter measures height,

Vertical Speed Indicator (VSI) measures change in height

Airspeed Indication measures IAS

Compass measures ( heading when not accelerating or turning)

Direction indicator (DI) measures heading

Virtual Horizion measures attitude and roll

Turn Coordinator measures balance and turn rate

Thanks for the qestions :D

Hate to break it to you but nuh uh...well sort of, if you refueled in the air several times, then again the plane is bound to break down after a while.

or it could get shot by a missile .. :D Scarey thoughts

Edited by taliesin

You're over the Pacific, with blue ocean spread out around as far as the eye can see. Suddenly an electromagnetic pulse interferes with the airplane's computer system, and it starts losing altitude fast! On top of that, the plane hits a buffet of turbulence, and some clouds roll back to reveal a tropical, volcanic, uninhabited island below. You hear passengers screaming from the back.

What do you do?

You're over the Pacific, with blue ocean spread out around as far as the eye can see. Suddenly an electromagnetic pulse interferes with the airplane's computer system, and it starts losing altitude fast! On top of that, the plane hits a buffet of turbulence, and some clouds roll back to reveal a tropical, volcanic, uninhabited island below. You hear passengers screaming from the back.

What do you do?

Take the only parachute and jump :D

Seriously. Since you are over the pacific you either have HF equiptment of DataLink and therefore you have coms still. The EMP pulse from the UFO ;) or giant magnet in a hatch ( I think I know where you are heading with this ;) ) I would adjust the aircraft for maximum glide distance and send out a MayDay on Both VHF ( 121.5 Emergency Frequency) and the HF frequency I was tuned into. :D

When I realized the attitute is not changing ( giant magnet device?? ) I would turn off ALL equiptment on the place ( Master Power) and turn off the engines. And glide nicely to the tropical island. This nice relaxing glide would be interfaired by the tail section breaking off and crashing of the far side of the island ( NOT SURE HOW THIS WORKS, AS THEROTICALLY IT SHOULD HIT THE GROUND FIRST).

Having no control ( no tail) I would nose dive into the island, aimin for the giant smoke monster) where I kill myself.

Is that correct Unreality? I dont remember any pilots surving :(

The copilot dies in the crash, but the pilot survives.... however not for long, cuz the smoke monster kills the pilot shortly after he manages to tell Jack, Kate and Charlie that they're thousands of miles off course :P

YAY! I Survive as long as I hit the stupid smoke monster with my 767? 777?? :D

Here's another one that i know and i want to know if you know.

what layer on the atmosphere do you fly in??

Fly in the troposphere, heavey jets fly up to FL420 ( aproximatly 42,000ft depending on air preassure) but more commonally at FL320. I will be lucky to get to 10000ft :D

What the question was asking *ahem*, what do you tell the passengers over the speaker system to calm them?

You make it sound as if you have a plan.. Passengers like plan.

Doesn't the nice looking female hostess do that?

We are having a slight engine trouble, it will be fixed in no time :D Just remain seated put your selt belt on.

We are going to have to make an emergency landing on the TROPICAL island just ahead, please all remain seated and calm. Once we have landed we will all meet in the Bar and cocktails for all :D