BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Pirate Mafia

Day 4 - Why's the rum gone?

Itachi backed up against the side of the ship as the angry crew members formed a circle around him. "You must be the last pirate!" Ben Law shouted as he loaded his pistol with gunpowder.

"Yes, there is only one suspect left and that is Itachi," said Woon, brandishing a dagger.

"Aye, he tried to be tricky last night, but we were not fooled", said Joe's Student as he advanced a little closer, sword pointed directly at Itachi.

"Are ye sure about that? I be the last pirate, but I did fool all o' ye last night. All your rum are belong to us", said Itachi as he climbed up onto the ship's railing.

"Arrr! You took our rum?" asked GC angrily as he raised his scimitar.

"Don't worry, he didn't get all of it," said Slick, emerging from the circle with a drink of rum in one hand, sword in the other. "I took some back to my cabin to help speed my recovery", laughed Slick as he took another swig.

"I wouldn't drink that if I were you," said Itachi as he glanced out at the sea behind him.

"Yer a lying pirate scum, and now yer going to die", said Slick defiantly.

"Fine, suit yourself. Ye may have figured me out, but I'll not allow the lot of ye the pleasure of killing me", said Itachi as he drew his pistol, raised it to his own head, and pulled the trigger.

The body of the Pirate Alchemist fell out over the railing and hit the water below with a splash, then sank into the depths with an odd smile still on his face.

Epilogue

Later that night...

"Land ho!", shouted Joe's Student, the lookout, from his position up in the crow's nest.

"Have we reached our destination?", asked GC, the bartender, as he cleaned up some mugs off the bar.

"It is good that nobody else die", said Doctor Woon as he tended Slick's bandages.

"Aye, and now that the pirate scum are all dead, lets find that treasure", said Slick, the wounded Navy Officer.

"Did somebody say treasure?" asked Ben Law, also known as One-Eyed Jack, as he emerged from his cabin. "I can come out now that the blasted Kraken is gone."

Captain Sinistral anchored the ship near the deserted island, and went ashore with the remaining crew to search for the treasure. He glanced down at an old piece of parchment in his hand from time to time as he led the crew through the jungle, instructing them to turn left or turn right at seemingly random places. Eventually they got to a small clearing, where Sinistral mumbled something about "X marks the spot", and instructed the crew to dig. After about an hour of digging, one of the shovels made a loud clang as it hit something metallic. The crew unearthed a small treasure chest and carried it back to the ship. "As promised, we will all share this treasure, ye have been a fine crew", said Sinistral as he opened up the chest. Inside were hundreds of gold doubloons, jewels, and other valuable items. After dividing up the treasure evenly, Sinistral raised his jeweled mug and shouted, "Arrr! Lets have a drink to honor our fallen crew members, and another drink to the pirates and Kraken who made this such a fun trip!".

"But Cap'n", GC said sadly, "The last pirate took all our rum, remember?"

Sinistral laughed. "Arr! He did get SOME of the rum, but not ALL of it, matey. I always keep a secret stash down below deck for emergencies. And having no rum to celebrate counts as an emergency!"

The crew members brought out the rum and drank and celebrated long into the night before heading back to their cabins. The bartender GC started cleaning up the bar when he noticed one crew member who had fallen asleep in his seat. "Slick matey," said GC, "ye've had enough to drink, wake up and lets get ye back to yer cabin. Ye need not worry about pirates tonight." GC tried to wake Slick, but Slick lay perfectly still.

"Arrr! Blast you, Itachi!" shouted GC.

END.

Links:

Rules

Intro

Night 1

Day 1 - Interlude

Day 1 - End - Three Pirates?

Night 2 - Storm

Day 2 - Interlude

Day 2 - End - Bilge Rats

Night 3 - Lucky Stars

Day 3 - End - Pins and Needles

Night 4 - Silent Night?

Day 4 - Epilogue

Roster:

Sinistral(Captain)

Cherry Lane (Pirate Wench)

Wally West (Swashbuckler)

FIF (Stowaway)

Crazypainter (Pirate Lord)

Joe's Student (Lookout)

Ben_Law (One-Eyed Jack)

Itachi (Pirate Alchemist)

Kat/Unreality (Herbalist)

GC (Bartender)

woon (Doctor)

Mekal (Kraken)

Slick (Navy Officer)

The treasure at the end was worth 2 Pirate Points™, awarded to all surviving crew members. 1 Pirate Points™ will still be awarded to all crew members who died.

Pirate Points™:

Cherry Lane (1) 1 from bonus question

Wally West (2) 1 from bonus question

Frozen_in_fire (1)

Crazypainter (0)

Joe's Student (2)

Ben Law (2)

Itachi (0)

Kat (1)

GC (2)

woon (2)

Mekal (0)

Slick (2) <-was alive to share treasure

Thanks again for playing! I hope you all enjoyed the game and will join again for Pirate Mafia 2! Comments/Suggestions are welcome. Special thanks again to Frozen_in_fire for assisting with some of the day/night posts.

Edited by Sinistral

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow great! This was fun. Good story.. and kudos Itachi for poisoning Slick! I may not be a good player whenit comes to being bad but... at least I am.... umm... short! yeah!

Look forward to the next game you all. And remember, next time I dont log in for a while or whatever.....its the computer and not me!

xoxoxox

oh is there a site or a player that has all the roles weve'd played? I think I have been the ..

herbalist

Seven

CC

Lord Pirate...

I am forgetting....

wow great! This was fun. Good story.. and kudos Itachi for poisoning Slick! I may not be a good player whenit comes to being bad but... at least I am.... umm... short! yeah!

Look forward to the next game you all. And remember, next time I dont log in for a while or whatever.....its the computer and not me!

xoxoxox

oh is there a site or a player that has all the roles weve'd played? I think I have been the ..

herbalist

Seven

CC

Lord Pirate...

I am forgetting....

eh, on my profile, I have all the roles I have ever played in Mafia. Adding stowaway...

Brilliant Game Captain! Thanks alot!

Innocents: Woohoo! Well done guys! :D

Btw, Sinistral, i thought it was a brilliant idea to give the first 1 dead a chance to still participate. It sucks when you die early in a game so i thought that was a brilliant addition :D

FIF: nice script man!

I am just come back from outstation. Can't help myself to get this good news, except Slicks been poisonned eventhough I saved him a night earlier.

Sinistral and FIF, well done on this MAFIA, Do appreciate the way the story goes.

And all the players are playing very well!!!

Pirate Rank & Awards - Pirate Mafia I

Disclaimer: Due to the nature of the game of Mafia, it is very difficult to qualitatively analyze a player's performance.

Nevertheless, I have made an attempt at putting together a ranking/awards system for Pirate Mafia with the hope that players will enjoy the game more because of it. I realize that the system has many flaws, and that some roles are much easier to score points with than others. I figure that over the course of a few games, players will end up with different roles, so it should all average out in the end. Please do not be insulted/offended if you have a lower score than someone else, this does not mean you are a bad player. This system is experimental and I will probably end up changing it quite a bit, or may even get rid of it entirely.

As usual, comments/suggestions are always welcome.

Generally speaking, players with a pirate role earn points by killing innocents and by staying undetected. Players with an innocent role earn points by using their abilities effectively. Example: Doctor making the correct choice and saving an innocent earns 3 points, while doctor attempting to save a pirate earns negative 1 point.

Voting is a key aspect of mafia and was very difficult to define a points system for, so this is probably the most flawed part of the whole thing. The first vote against a player is important, a player must go out on a limb and attract suspicion onto themselves by casting the first vote; therefore, a correct first vote which results in the player being planked is worth 2 points. Swing votes (the last decisive vote against a player) are also important, but since it is easier to jump on a bandwagon than to be the initial voter, swing votes are only worth 1 point. Similarly, an initial vote which leads to an incorrect lynching is worth negative 2 points, and incorrect swing votes are worth minus 1 point.

Voting as a pirate role is tricky, players often need to feign innocence so they may vote for one of their own, which is difficult to analyze in the points system. Still, an initial vote by a pirate against an innocent which leads to that innocent being lynched is still worth two points.

Ranking System:

[u]Awards by Day/Night[/u]

Value Player Reason

Night 1
+1 Joe's Student Watched pirate (Itachi)
+1 Itachi Avoided detection by Lookout (Joe's Student)
+1 Cherry Lane Cancelled use of saving ability(Wally West)
+1 Cherry Lane Pirate kill (frozen_in_fire)
-1 Kat Attempted save of pirate (Crazypainter)
-1 Kat Herbalist visited on Night 1.

Day 1
-2 Slick Initial vote on planked innocent (Wally West)
+1 Crazypainter Swing vote on planked innocent (Wally West)
+2 GC Extra voting power affected outcome positively

Night 2
+2 Mekal Kraken killed innocent (Kat)
+1 Cherry Lane Pirate Kill (Mekal)
+2 Cherry Lane Killed Kraken bonus (Mekal)
+1 Slick Attempted investigation of pirate (Crazypainter)
+2 Crazypainter Pirate Lord drew investigation attempt from Navy Officer (Slick)
+3 Cherry Lane Cancelled investigation of pirate (Slick -> Crazypainter) (funny)
-1 Woon Attempted save of pirate (Itachi)
-1 Kat(Unreality) Attempted save of pirate (Cherry Lane)

Day 2
+2 Joe's Student Initial vote on planked pirate (Cherry Lane)
-1 Crazypainter Swing vote on planked pirate (Cherry Lane)
-2 Itachi Attempted poison of Bartender (GC)
+2 GC Bartender drew poison attempt

Night 3
+3 Woon Successful save of innocent (Slick)

Day 3
+2 Joe's Student Initial vote on planked pirate (Crazypainter)

Night 4

Day 4
+2 Ben Law Initial vote on planked pirate (Itachi)
+2 Itachi Successful poison of Navy Officer (Slick)

[b]General Awards[/b]
[u]Award Name[/u] [u]Value[/u] [u]Players[/u] [u]Description[/u]
I Ain't Afraid of Jack +1 Woon, WW, FIF, Kat, Cherry Lane Bravely visited someone every possible night without visiting OEJ.
Accomplice +1 Itachi, Crazypainter +1 assist bonus for every 2 indirect pirate kills.
Stealth +1 Cherry Lane, Crazypainter +1 for every 2 nights undetected as Pirate.
Stealth +2 Itachi +1 for every 2 nights undetected as Pirate.
Inconspicuous +2 Joe's Student, Woon +1 for every 2 nights as saving/detection role without being targeted by pirates/Kraken.
Inactivity -1 Wally West, Ben Law -1 for each day inactive.(non voting)
Perfect Voter +3 Joe's Student Voted for a pirate every single day.(minimum 3)
Survivor +1 Joe's Student, woon, Ben Law, GC Survived till end of game.
Do Not Disturb +2 Ben Law OEJ never visited by an innocent.
Hermit -1 Ben Law OEJ never visited by pirates.
Process of Elimination +2 Slick Investigated 3 Innocents.
Captain's Award +1 Itachi Captain's choice of most clever tactic. (Did not kill on Night 4 to avoid detection)
Persistent +1 Joe's Student Targeted same person 3 times (not self).

[b]Consolation Awards[/b]

First Blood +2 FIF Awarded to first player killed by pirates on Night 1.
Wrongfully Planked +1 Wally West Awarded to player planked on Day 1 if innocent.

Totals:

[u]Player Name[/u] [u]RP+[/u] [u]RP[/u] [u]Base[/u] [u]RPT[/u] [u]Pirate Rank[/u] [u]PP[/u] [u]PP+[/u] [u]PPT[/u]
Joe's Student 14 0(0) 2 16(+16) Cabin Boy(10) 2 +3 5
Cherry Lane 10 0(0) 2 12(+12) Cabin Girl(10) 1 +2 3
Itachi 7 0(0) 2 9(+9) Stowaway(0) 0 +1 1
woon 6 0(0) 2 8(+8) Stowaway(0) 2 2
GC 5 0(0) 2 7(+7) Stowaway(0) 2 2
Crazypainter 4 0(0) 2 6(+6) Stowaway(0) 0 0
Ben Law 3 0(0) 2 5(+5) Stowaway(0) 2 2
FIF 3 0(0) 2 5(+5) Stowaway(0) 1 1
Mekal 2 0(0) 2 4(+4) Stowaway(0) 0 0
Slick 1 0(0) 2 3(+3) Stowaway(0) 2 2
Wally West 1 0(0) 2 3(+3) Stowaway(0) 2 2
Kat 0 0(0) 2 2(+2) Stowaway(0) 1 1

RP+: Rank Points(earned this game) - Determines your Pirate Rank
RP: Previous Rank Points
Base: Base amount of Rank Points awarded to each player just for participating in this game
RPT: Total Rank Points earned for each player.
Pirate Rank: Your Pirate Rank, number in parenthesis is the minimum Rank Points required for that rank.
PP: Pirate Points™ earned this game.
PP+: Bonus Pirate Points™ awarded to the top 3 ranked players for this game.
PPT: Total Pirate Points™ a player has.[/codebox]

Congrats to [b][color=#0000FF]Joe's Student[/color][/b] for being the top ranked player in Pirate Mafia I (based on this system). He voted for a pirate correctly on EVERY single day, and never once voted for an innocent, which is no easy accomplishment in Mafia. Not only that, he was the initial voter for two out of the three pirate plankings, and used his ability effectively almost every night (though Itachi was very sneaky in avoiding him). He was a key factor in the innocent's victory. He has earned the rank of [b]Cabin Boy[/b], and an additional 3 Pirate Points™ for coming in first place.

In second place was [b][color=#FF0000]Cherry Lane[/color][/b], the Pirate Wench. She got credit for all of the pirates' night kills, even killing the elusive Kraken, while still using her visiting ability to cancel out saving attempts and also prevent the investigation of one of her fellow pirates. As it turns out, the one being investigated was the Pirate Lord, which would have been beneficial to the pirates, but the system is flawed so she still gets positive points for this action. She has earned the rank of [b]Cabin Girl [/b]and receives 2 Pirate Points™ for coming in second place.

[b]Q. What does my Pirate Rank do exactly[/b]?

A. In the event of a tied voting, instead of a coin flip to determine the outcome, the person planked will be the one

with the LOWEST Pirate Rank. If the tied players have equal pirate rank, then there will be a coin flip to determine the loser. (A role with the tiebreaker ability overrides this.)

It may also be used to decide other coin flip situations, but overall impact on the game will be minimal.

Your Pirate Rank also determines which items you are elegible to purchase with your Pirate Points™.

NO FAIR! I lost points and it wasn't even me...ok fine saving CP was me, but still :rolleyes: But seriously, it looked like a good game, I want to be ACTUALLY part of the next one, can't wait! ^_^ Btw...that puff of sweet smelling smoke I disapeared into? Of course it was a HERBAL concoction, and also Unreality left a huge clue in on of the earlier posts, kudos to anyone who found it ;)

~The Fox

NO FAIR! I lost points and it wasn't even me...ok fine saving CP was me, but still :rolleyes: But seriously, it looked like a good game, I want to be ACTUALLY part of the next one, can't wait! ^_^ Btw...that puff of sweet smelling smoke I disapeared into? Of course it was a HERBAL concoction, and also Unreality left a huge clue in on of the earlier posts, kudos to anyone who found it ;)

~The Fox

GREAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sign me up for the next one that you host!!!

Ya... sorry about killing you... :blush:

so i didn't end up reading the rest of it... but did anyone suspect that i was the kraken? I wan't to know if my mafia skills are getting better...

The PP are from the treasure you got at the end of the game. 2 for everyone who was alive on the winning side, 1 for dead members of the winning faction.

I'd been thinking about it for a while, but it wasn't until we had that three way tie on day 1 that everything really came together. I kind of thought it sucked to have to determine fates by a coin toss that could have gone either way, and wanted a better solution. This gives people rewards for playing well, yet the overall impact on the game is minimal, so it doesn't really give someone a huge advantage over a new player who is playing for the first time.

I'm glad everyone likes it. We'll try it out again in Pirate Mafia 2 and see how things go. Hopefully we can get more signups, I had some other ideas I would have liked to try but we didn't have enough people.

Edited by Sinistral

How ironic it is that BrainDen was down for every day except the day I needed it to be down. <_<

Thank you Captain Sinistral for the game and thanks to the other members of the crew, even those that killed me :P.

How ironic it is that BrainDen was down for every day except the day I needed it to be down. <_<

Thank you Captain Sinistral for the game and thanks to the other members of the crew, even those that killed me :P.

Sorry about that wally. I was sad to off you on night one, or was it two? :D

Great ranking system, Capt. Sinistral. And Arrr! A piratey ending is what we like. :D

Great job, JS! Thankfully I didn't get a killing innocent role, as I would have killed you then. :P

:D Thanks!

When you voted for me Day 2, i was like 'O no not again!' :lol: But it wouldn't be Mafia without GC's scrutiny, i think i would miss it if you thought i was innocent :P

Yes, all of your points and ranks will be carried over to Pirate Mafia 2, whenever that may be.

Soon hopefully, i think everyone who played would agree that this was great! Except for Wally West maybe :rolleyes: ...

But i was thinkin maybe if there's a situation where where there's a 50% chance of something working, i.e a bodyguard has a 50% chance of saving his target, then maybe if they have a higher number of Pirate Points than the attacker then maybe they could have a 60% chance of saving their target... if you get me?

Just a thought, you asked for comments + suggestions :D

Edit: this might put the newcomer to too much of a disadvantage on 2nd thoughts... maybe if the attacking person is a newcomer then it could be ignored.

Edited by Joe's Student

Yes, all of your points and ranks will be carried over to Pirate Mafia 2, whenever that may be.

Hurray! Didn't expect the point system. Mafia is ....oops sorry, should I said the Mafia hosters are improving...!

Soon hopefully, i think everyone who played would agree that this was great! Except for Wally West maybe :rolleyes: ...

But i was thinkin maybe if there's a situation where where there's a 50% chance of something working, i.e a bodyguard has a 50% chance of saving his target, then maybe if they have a higher number of Pirate Points than the attacker then maybe they could have a 60% chance of saving their target... if you get me?

Just a thought, you asked for comments + suggestions :D

Edit: this might put the newcomer to too much of a disadvantage on 2nd thoughts... maybe if the attacking person is a newcomer then it could be ignored.

Yep JS, that's exactly what I meant when I said it may be used to decide other coin flip type situations. I don't think I would use it in that particular situation where it influences a role ability directly since it would severely undermine the role of the bodyguard and give new players a big disadvantage to playing that role. I was thinking more along the lines of like... two people killing the same target at night, which one gets the credit for the kill? Or two people killing each other on the same night, I've seen this done as either a double kill or a 50/50 chance, instead we could have it influenced by pirate rank.

What we want to avoid are situations like the doctor can't save someone because they're ranked much lower than the attacker, or that the attacker flat out can't kill someone because their target is high ranked. If we keep it restricted to rare, tiebreaker type situations I think it will still be fun but not discouraging to new players.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Yep JS, that's exactly what I meant when I said it may be used to decide other coin flip type situations. I don't think I would use it in that particular situation where it influences a role ability directly since it would severely undermine the role of the bodyguard and give new players a big disadvantage to playing that role. I was thinking more along the lines of like... two people killing the same target at night, which one gets the credit for the kill? Or two people killing each other on the same night, I've seen this done as either a double kill or a 50/50 chance, instead we could have it influenced by pirate rank.

What we want to avoid are situations like the doctor can't save someone because they're ranked much lower than the attacker, or that the attacker flat out can't kill someone because their target is high ranked. If we keep it restricted to rare, tiebreaker type situations I think it will still be fun but not discouraging to new players.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Yeah you're right, but i like the idea of it deciding the outcome between 2 players who have decided to kill each other, it makes sense like, seeing as the 1 with higher PP would be the stronger, (maybe) or the better sword fighter... :) c