BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

New Section - General Chat

Question

A forum should always have a place for idle chit chat. This allows the users to get to know one another and network (hook up). Without this a forum wont have a come-back appeal.

A place for introductions and/or a place for posting idle chat would be appreciated and increase your traffic.

11 answers to this question

This is a riddle forum, not a social forum.

Most message boards have forums that are there for the purpose of off-topic posts and this one is no different. Sometimes posters want to discuss off-topic issues with folks they're already familiar with and as rookie1ja mentioned, that's what "Others" is all about.

Yeah, I know, I'm a member of quite a few (and a master admin/founder of another) forums for just social or like a book series but are always very off topic and we have lotsa topics for all sorts of random things, I'm just saying with the audience here you won't get much traffic seeing as this isnt an advertised social forum, its like a riddle-exchange forum. That's why the Others topic isnt full of topics when in most other forums the "General Comments" forum is the biggest one ;D

I was just explaining the main idea of the forum to the guy

*Andro steps on mod's toes*

I think chat is just as you say "idle" and it is not likely to be informed opinions. And full discussion for all to join - this forum is more interactive for all users on any topic than can/will contribute to.

Chat box may increase traffic short term. Long term people chat via other providers MSN and the like, the dialog/chat shortens to "wot u eatin?"

besides - it is not something that is easy to follow through high volume and chat history.

I tried it elsewhere and threads did not get used and info that was related to topics was not concluded and posted to related topic

*Andro steps on mod's toes*

I think chat is just as you say "idle" and it is not likely to be informed opinions. And full discussion for all to join - this forum is more interactive for all users on any topic than can/will contribute to.

Chat box may increase traffic short term. Long term people chat via other providers MSN and the like, the dialog/chat shortens to "wot u eatin?"

besides - it is not something that is easy to follow through high volume and chat history.

I tried it elsewhere and threads did not get used and info that was related to topics was not concluded and posted to related topic

I'm against having a chat box on this forum, cause it would be a gibberish box really.

And I'm not trying to step on anybodies toes or to provoke anyone, I just don't understand... :huh:

I'm against having a chat box on this forum, cause it would be a gibberish box really.

And I'm not trying to step on anybodies toes or to provoke anyone, I just don't understand... :huh:

Apparently it was more of a non-topic than a topic. I could of raved about why the sky was blue, why marijuana's good for you, etc. from the point of view of the Mods.

Not to mention it wasn't a real conversation. It was just a bunch of people taking up space on the forum to vent their frustration. Whenever I need to do that, I type it up, print it out, and wait for the price of gasoline to go down to start a bonfire.

And it got kind of depressing after a while.

I think that we shouldn't add a chat box. We can already PM, and thats much better. I don't want a crappy chat website were nobody thinks and answers riddles, just types mindless chatter all day! (no offense anyone, btw)

Any forum I've ever been on that got a chatbox (that didn't already have one when I joined) lost 50% of their posting activity from people posting messages in the chat instead of normal forum posts. Chatboxes are good for more social websites, but this site would definitely be a bad place for one.