BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I am not your father, but you are my child.

My job requires that I travel.

I’m the reason for the weight on your shoulders.

I can cause tension, or I can relieve it by applying pressure.

If you walk in the light, there is only me.

If you walk in the shadows, I will free you.

Hope it's not too easy!

Note: It's not a religious figure.

Well, here's me thinking physics-y. Umm..

Matter, anti matter, particles, atoms, a form of energy, forces, anything?

...The "if you walk in the shadows, I will free you" line is bothering me. If you walk into the shadows I will free you from heat? ...Makes me think of Black Body radiation and microwaves for some reason. Molecules heating up.. Umm.. Molecules, is that it?

This is hard. <_<

Matter, anti matter, particles, atoms, a form of energy, forces, anything?

...The "if you walk in the shadows, I will free you" line is bothering me. If you walk into the shadows I will free you from heat?

One of the things you mentioned is what I'm looking for. Remember how there were two meanings of the word? The first part is physics-y, the second part is not. So don't apply physics to walking in the light/shadows.

One of the things you mentioned is what I'm looking for. Remember how there were two meanings of the word? The first part is physics-y, the second part is not. So don't apply physics to walking in the light/shadows.

Be awesome and save me from guessing <=7 times?

My initial thought was matter but..

Energy? It's not my "father", but I was created from it.

Energy travels.

I suppose energy has to do with weight and causing tension.

Light is energy, therefore if you walk into the light, it is there.

And finally, if you walk into the shadows, you are relaxing, therefore preserving energy?

Yay!

Force!

I am not your father, but you are my child. Not father, but parent = mother = ma => F=ma

My job requires that I travel. Work = Force*Distance

I’m the reason for the weight on your shoulders. Weight = Mass*Gravitational Force

I can cause tension, or I can relieve it by applying pressure. Tension is force in a string or chain, Pressure = Force/Area

You can't touch me, but you can feel me. You can feel forces, but can't touch a force.

My best friend is my opposite--we're never seen apart. If Object A acts on Object B, Object B acts on Object A with a force of equal magnitude in the opposite direction. Or, as it's better known: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

I can be measured, but I have no height or weight. Measured in Newtons (kg*m/s/s).

The story of William Tell involves a man and his son,

but the parts that show me are the apple and arrow. Force is a vector (arrows are used to describe vectors). And apples are fabled to have sparked Isaac Newton's gravitational theories, thus his work with forces.

Only those who are sensitive can use me. Jump to meaning #2: Star Wars's version of the force. You must be force sensitive to be a Jedi Knight or Sith.

If you walk in the light, there is only me. These lines refer specifically to Knights of the Old Republic, in which you are required to learn both the Jedi Code and the Sith Code. The end of the Jedi Code is: "There is no death, there is only the force."

If you walk in the shadows, I will free you. The end of the Sith Code is: "The force shall set me free."

Thanks to everyone who tried to make sense of it! :)