BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

andromeda

Question

24 hours earlier...

Homicide detectives Cherry Lane and Yoruichi-san arrived at the crime scene. The hallway leading to the chemistry lab was packed with police officers surveying the area and taking statements from the witnesses, including the six student-assistants that arrived at work that morning.

Chemistry laboratory in the Natural Science Institute was immense. The entire inventory in the lab was new. Everything was prepared for the Professor and his student-assistants to start working on their new project. But something went terribly wrong that morning...

As soon as CL and Y-san stepped into the lab, CL’s hawk eyes immediately noticed something: “ They have everything that’s necessary to conduct the experiments, but still something of the essential is missing Y-san!” Y-san nodded agreeing with this observation, snapped on a pair of latex gloves and went strait to the Professors body to inspect it.

The Professor was laying face down on a yellowish-green floor. His right hand was forming a ‘character’ (his index finger and his middle finger were prominent with the thumb clinched between them, while his ring finger and his little finger were folded back under his palm). “Looks like we have a murder case”, CL stated.

His left hand was closed in a fist holding a small metal item. “Well isn’t this ironic!”, said Y-san amused, while placing the object in a small evidence bag.

CL squat down to check Professors lab coat pockets. In his right pocket she found a prescribed medication. “It looks like he was misdiagnosed”, said CL rattling the plastic vial.

And what she found in his left pocket vividly consumed both of their minds! Five items not bigger that 2 inches each. At first glance they looked like garbage and if so, what would they be doing inside Professors pocket?!

After placing the objects in the evidence bag and still puzzled by this unusual finding CL stood up and went to the coat hanger. There they were. Six pristine-white lab coats with name tags on them. Y-san approached and started reading them out loud:

“Ashli P. Olin,

Carl B. Menoi,

Marge C. Lafont,

Owen F. Rulss,

Scilene N. Harpper,

Stan T. Dresher.”

As Y-san finished reading they startlingly looked at each other. “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?!”, needlessly asked CL. “Our job here is finished my dear”, contently replied Y-san.

As they walked out the lab towards the unsuspecting suspect standing in a hallway, they both knew without even discussing it among themselves who did it, how and why!!!

Do you know?

;)

Edited by andromeda

Depending on if his fingers were extended or not, the prof could be telling us something. If extended (ASL for the letter K), I have no idea, but if not extended, then it could be ASL for the letter T, which would point to Stan T. Dresher. Maybe?

It was Ashli P. Olin. If you look at hand from the front with the index and main fingers pointing down and the thumb in the middle the character formed looks like an 'A' the clinched left hand looks like it forms the letter O. and there were 5 items which could represent the letters s, h,l,i and n and maybe the metal object in his left hand looked like P. btw all the middle initials looks like they are the symbols for elements in the periodic table except for T. Not sure if that was intentional.

Depending on if his fingers were extended or not, the prof could be telling us something. If extended (ASL for the letter K), I have no idea, but if not extended, then it could be ASL for the letter T, which would point to Stan T. Dresher. Maybe?

Yes, you're right about the hand and the character it represents!

'K'

Has it mostly to do with the names?

Yes! But you'll see after the riddle gets untangled that everything written is intricately intwined!

It was Ashli P. Olin. If you look at hand from the front with the index and main fingers pointing down and the thumb in the middle the character formed looks like an 'A' the clinched left hand looks like it forms the letter O. and there were 5 items which could represent the letters s, h,l,i and n and maybe the metal object in his left hand looked like P. btw all the middle initials looks like they are the symbols for elements in the periodic table except for T. Not sure if that was intentional.

It was unintentional! Read the other spoilers!

HINT

The character 'K' that the Professor formed with his hand is actually a clue on how he died!Because after CL saw the hand she stated that it's a murder case! How did she know just by looking at his hand! And it has nothing to do with the word KILLED! Think inside the chemistry box! READ everything carefully, everything is important!

;)

Edited by andromeda

Well, K stands for potassium in chemistry. Plus it's an alkali metal.

Anything there?

Yes! I give away too many hints :lol: !!! But that's not over yet! The hand thing I mean, there's more to it!

Were the pills in his pocket blood pressure pills? Was he misdiagnosed with high blood pressure?

Nope! Think about it, why would CL make that comment?! And then you'll figure it out what pills are those, because it's important!

:)

quote name='jenjan29445' date='Sep 19 2008, 12:39 AM' post='75378']

Well, K stands for potassium in chemistry. Plus it's an alkali metal.

Anything there?

pottasium cyanide then

:D.
[

No! How would that fit the riddle? Think about it! How would the Professor show the detectives that it's

potassium cyanide! Potassium he has shown, but how would cyanide fit the riddle! There is a clue indicating the exact compound!!!

Said too much yet again, but giving hints is also a great exercise, how to give a hint without giving it all away. I'm far from that cause there is still a lot of work ahead of us!!! ;)

24 hours earlier...

Homicide detectives Cherry Lane and Yoruichi-san arrived at the crime scene. The hallway leading to the chemistry lab was packed with police officers surveying the area and taking statements from the witnesses, including the six student-assistants that arrived at work that morning.

Chemistry laboratory in the Natural Science Institute was immense. The entire inventory in the lab was new. Everything was prepared for the Professor and his student-assistants to start working on their new project. But something went terribly wrong that morning...

As soon as CL and Y-san stepped into the lab, CL’s hawk eyes immediately noticed something: “ They have everything that’s necessary to conduct the experiments, but still something of the essential is missing Y-san!” Y-san nodded agreeing with this observation, snapped on a pair of latex gloves and went strait to the Professors body to inspect it.

The Professor was laying face down on a yellowish-green floor. His right hand was forming a ‘character’ (his index finger and his middle finger were prominent with the thumb clinched between them, while his ring finger and his little finger were folded back under his palm). “Looks like we have a murder case”, CL stated.

His left hand was closed in a fist holding a small metal item. “Well isn’t this ironic!”, said Y-san amused, while placing the object in a small evidence bag.

CL squat down to check Professors lab coat pockets. In his right pocket she found a prescribed medication. “It looks like he was misdiagnosed”, said CL rattling the plastic vial.

And what she found in his left pocket vividly consumed both of their minds! Five items not bigger that 2 inches each. At first glance they looked like garbage and if so, what would they be doing inside Professors pocket?!

After placing the objects in the evidence bag and still puzzled by this unusual finding CL stood up and went to the coat hanger. There they were. Six pristine-white lab coats with name tags on them. Y-san approached and started reading them out loud:

“Ashli P. Olin,

Carl B. Menoi,

Marge C. Lafont,

Owen F. Rulss,

Scilene N. Harpper,

Stan T. Dresher.”

As Y-san finished reading they startlingly looked at each other. “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?!”, needlessly asked CL. “Our job here is finished my dear”, contently replied Y-san.

As they walked out the lab towards the unsuspecting suspect standing in a hallway, they both knew without even discussing it among themselves who did it, how and why!!!

Do you know?

;)

I think i might be on the verge of a break through!!! (although maybe i'm wacky O.o)

there are 5 items in the professors pocket and 6 students. the one he had in his had might have been the sixth? also how much chemistry do i need to know? (cause i barely know a lick)

Was the metal in his hand iron then? And he had Iron Deficiency, Anemia? So the vile actually had K in it rather than his medicine which was the 5 things in his other pocket?

Edited by Ichibanic

Iron is a metal

"Isn't that ironic?"

Well, I don't know where are you going with this,

"Isn't that ironic" is important as a FINAL clue in solving that riddle and to be honest, I sort of made a mistake writing down that it's a metal object cause it can be made out of various types of materials. However while I was writing I didn't wanna just write small object so I added metal, but It could of been made of wood, or plastic...

I think i might be on the verge of a break through!!! (although maybe i'm wacky O.o)

there are 5 items in the professors pocket and 6 students. the one he had in his had might have been the sixth? also how much chemistry do i need to know? (cause i barely know a lick)

First question

Oh yes!!! That has everything to do with it!!!

Second question

Well not really... You only have a bit a chemistry in how he died, other than that no. It's all about reading and you are on a right track with your previous conclusion!

Potassium is a salt, so he was misdiagnosed with low blood pressure, when he actually had high blood pressure?

And 5 on the periodic table is Boron (B). Could it be Carl B. Menoi?

First question

OK how do I put this, there was nothing wrong with the Professors HARDWARE, his SOFTWARE, however, is different a story! I hope this helps!

Second question

Initials of their middle names have nothing to do with who killed him or have any significance standing on their own!

Was the metal in his hand iron then? And he had Iron Deficiency, Anemia? So the vile actually had K in it rather than his medicine which was the 5 things in his other pocket?

Read the previous spoilers ;) !!!

RiddL3R is on the right track!!!

Edited by andromeda

The killer is Owen F. Rulss

The others first name can somehow form a chemistry symbol but not Owen

Ashli P. Olin, - As

Carl B. Menoi, - Ca

Marge C. Lafont,- Mg

Owen F. Rulss, -??

Scilene N. Harpper, -Sc

Stan T. Dresher.” - Sn

The killer is Owen F. Rulss

The others first name can somehow form a chemistry symbol but not Owen

Ashli P. Olin, - As

Carl B. Menoi, - Ca

Marge C. Lafont,- Mg

Owen F. Rulss, -??

Scilene N. Harpper, -Sc

Stan T. Dresher.” - Sn

No! I said (wrote) in one of the previous spoilers that

there is only a little bit of chemistry in how he died and in cracking the compound!

But what I find fascinating is that you (all of you) find things that I did even know they were there. And Owen (O, N) two elements (but it's not a clue).

HINT

What is odd about their names! Don't you find those names a bit odd?!

Edited by andromeda

what i want to know is why did CL go to the coat hangers right away after finding the items in the pocket. also, the 6 items (the one in his hand) must represent the 6 students and the one in his hand was the murderer

:blink:
Edited by RiddL3R

Well i thought it was interesting that you changed the names to the initials, of the detectives. Cl = chloride, which actually also tends to be yellowish green, the floor the professor is lying on.

Could it be that the professor was kill with potassium chloride which is sometimes used in judicial lethal injections?

The five items in the pocket appeared to be garbbage, could this be because the killer attempted to dispose of evidence?

Ok I think I know, but I think I have some holes (unless all the info is not truly needed to solve)

It was Stan

- In his left pocket were 5 items that represented the nametags of the people who did not kill him.

- He made the K with his right hand.

- I am not really sure of the object clenched in his left unless it was to point the detectives to the left pocket.

- The pills that killed him were also in his right pocket.

to me this is Right vs Left (or R vs L)

The only name without an L int it is Stan and since the K was made with the right hand, and the murder weapon (pills) were in the right pocket he was indicating that L's are ok.

what i want to know is why did CL go to the coat hangers right away after finding the items in the pocket. also, the 6 items (the one in his hand) must represent the 6 students and the one in his hand was the murderer
:blink:

YES!!!

well CL went to the coat hangers because there was nothing else to inspect on the Professor's body!

Well i thought it was interesting that you changed the names to the initials, of the detectives. Cl = chloride, which actually also tends to be yellowish green, the floor the professor is lying on.

Could it be that the professor was kill with potassium chloride which is sometimes used in judicial lethal injections?

The five items in the pocket appeared to be garbbage, could this be because the killer attempted to dispose of evidence?

YES!

YES!

Aaaaaaaand NO!

But...

the reason why I chose CL to be my detective is because she's smart

:D and I wrote the initials because I didn't want to write Cherry Lane every time, it was shorter this way. Hm... I could have written detective Lane couple of times ;)! So the clue was actually yellowish-green ('K' on the yellowish-green floor). So yes the Professor was killed with KCl (it's untraceable in blood (well it's hard to determine) and it seems like that the person died from a heart attack! You were wrong about the third guess, read one the previous spoiler!

I don't need to give you any hints you are on the right track!!! :D

Edited by andromeda

now we know how, we need who and why. before you gave us a hint about the names

is it in some letter code, or anagram or something?

Spoiler for why?:

does the why have anything to do with the lab being new and a Natural Science lab???

Do you know?

this is a yes or no question - to answer it i can just say no :DB))

Edited by RiddL3R

now we know how, we need who and why. before you gave us a hint about the names

Do you know?

this is a yes or no question - to answer it i can just say no :DB))

is it in some letter code, or anagram or something?

Spoiler for why?:

does the why have anything to do with the lab being new and a Natural Science lab???

Hm... if I tell you that it would be giving away the methodology to solve it and after that it's easier! If it's a letter code, or an anagram, or something... crack it and then YOU tell ME what it is!!!

one of the students had a grudge against the Professor and didn't want even to work with him, but that is not so important. WHY is not really important, the important thing is WHO!

Hahahahahh you made my abdomen hurt!!! Do you really think I would think about this riddle for 12 hours and almost get hit by a car while ridding a bike, for the answer to be that simple, just NO?! :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding a good one, but focus on the crime!

Edited by andromeda

stan because "small" (from "small metal item) is spelled out by zig zaging through the names pulling a letter (in order i.e. ashli - take s next take M from menoi, and so on the only one left is stan)

Edited by RiddL3R