BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Christmas Tree

rookie1ja

An additional assumption that must be included when telling this brain teaser is that the Angels know which Angels can see eachother. It is a key stipulation.

good point ... I thought I had included that stipulation long time ago ... now I see that I missed that one ... puzzle amended

• 2 weeks later...

In the last line of the riddle, it asks for the first angel to have a GUESS. so the answer from the angel does not have to be right, therefore i think while angels A,B and C are thinking, angel D would have simply guessed straight away as there would be no way for him to tell what the other angels were wearing, so he would simply not waste time achieving nothing :D

In the last line of the riddle, it asks for the first angel to have a GUESS. so the answer from the angel does not have to be right, therefore i think while angels A,B and C are thinking, angel D would have simply guessed straight away as there would be no way for him to tell what the other angels were wearing, so he would simply not waste time achieving nothing :D

that "guess" thing was picked up and edited long time ago to the following:

Which one of them will be the first to guess (Edit: speak his guess out load, deduce and say) what his own aureole is?

well assuming angel b and c have the same color, angel a can conclude he has a color other than theirs,

then angel d would be safe to say he is the same color of angel a, and b can say he is same of angel c :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

it's a logic puzzle for god's sake! why do people have to be so picky about the unimportant details. You don't need to know what shade of blue it is, or ask over and over again why the angels can talk! admittedly the wording could have been better, but could people just do the puzzle?

It depends on the placements of the colors. The possible combinations are:

1. BBYY

2. BYYB

3. BYBY

4. YYBB

5. YBYB

6. YBBY

In combinations 2 and 6, angel A can immediately know his color, because the other options are taken. In those scenarios, angel A guesses the color he can't see.

However, assuming the placement is random, 2/3 of the time angel A will see two colors, and from that he cannot deduct his own color. They are all intelligent, so when angel A doesn't speak up after two seconds, angel B will know that her color is different from angel C's, so she will say the color she cannot see.

In conclusion: angel A talks first 1/3 of the time, but the rest of the time angel B will speak up

A note on the purpose of angel D being hidden: if he wasn't there would be no problem. think about it for a second. if angel A could see three other colors, would there be a way they couldn't figure out their own color? (rhetorical question)

The wording should be changed to say that the Angels actually speak their guess out loud. I read "guess" as "silently figuring it out" because "guess" is an internal thought process, at which point I concluded that A was the only one with any hope of figuring out his own color and only when B&C have the same colors as each other.

So, when a guess IS possible, it's only A that can do it... unless the wording is changed.

???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :huh:

That's exactly what I was thinking. At first I thought that "logically" the only angel with a chance in hell of making a guess was A. I didn't realize they were having a competition to see who came up with the answer first and therefore saying the guess aloud. But then again, I've never had a speaking angel on my tree either.

lol i agree with that :lol:

If A does not speak out, B will be able to guess that his aureole is he colour other than that of C.

i agree its the only thing that could possibly work

• 2 weeks later...

all this talk of nipples on a brain teasers website...who would have thought?! Granted I don't know too many women with blue aureoles, I wouldn't kick them out of bed ;)

all this talk of nipples on a brain teasers website...who would have thought?! Granted I don't know too many women with blue aureoles, I wouldn't kick them out of bed ;)

Calm down, put your glasses on areola/areolae which surrounds the mountain/s.

If you don't kick them out - which method do you usually employ?

Actually don't answer, I wish I hadd'nt but i started so I'll finnish.

That's exactly what I was thinking. At first I thought that "logically" the only angel with a chance in hell of making a guess was A. I didn't realize they were having a competition to see who came up with the answer first and therefore saying the guess aloud. But then again, I've never had a speaking angel on my tree either.

if B and C have same color then only A can guess right, otherwise it will be a lucky guess.

Is there some other way out?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It depends on which angels have which color. If B and C are either both blue or both yellow, then A will instantly say "I am (insert other color here)." If B and C are different colors, then A will not say anything. In this instance, B will say to herself "A doesn't know what she is, so C and I are different colors, and since C is x, I am y." D just uses up the second of whatever color isn't used twice in the above angels.

• 8 months later...

B will be the winner and his color would be Blue (or Yellow) if C's halo is Yellow (or Blue). The logic goes like this:

1. A (top MOst): Can see everyone's halos except Ds: He can answer only if B and C have same colors. Fore.g. if B and C have Yellow then he will know he and D have Blue color halos. But in case B and C have different color halos, A can't be sure whether he has Blue or Yellow.

2. B knows taht A has now shouted the answer, so B's and C's halos are not of same colors. They have to be different for A to not to should out the answer. So B has to just look down for C's color. If C is Blue,then B is Yellow, else vice versa.

So B is the winner.

• 2 months later...

The wording should be changed to say that the Angels actually speak their guess out loud. I read "guess" as "silently figuring it out" because "guess" is an internal thought process, at which point I concluded that A was the only one with any hope of figuring out his own color and only when B&C have the same colors as each other.

So, when a guess IS possible, it's only A that can do it... unless the wording is changed.

Not completely true. If A saw that B and C had the same color, A would immediately know that it's color was the other one. If A saw that B and C had different colors, A would not be able to make a guess. When A didn't speak, B would realize that A did not know, and therefore B would know that B and C must have different colors. Knowing that it's color was not the same as C, B would be able to determine that it's color had to be the other one.

So if B and C's colors were the same, A would be able to guess. If A could not guess, B would know it's color was the other color from whatever color C is.