BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Christmas Tree

rookie1ja

Christmas Tree - Back to the Logic Puzzles

Four angels sat on the Christmas tree amidst other ornaments. Two had blue halos and two – yellow. However, none of them could see above his head. Angel A sat on the top branch and could see the angels B and C, who sat below him. Angel B, could see angel C who sat on the lower branch. And angel D stood at the base of the tree obscured from view by a thicket of branches, so no one could see him and he could not see anyone either.

Which one of them could be the first to guess the color of his halo and speak it out loud for all other angels to hear?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Christmas Tree - solution

There are 2 possible solutions:

1. if angels B and C had aureole of the same color, then angel A must have immediately said his own color (other then theirs),

2. if angels B and C had different colors, then angel A must have been silent and that would have been a signal for angel B, who could know (looking at angel C) what his own color is (the other one then C had).

There were 4 angels on a Christmas tree (Edit: and the angels knew that there were 4 of them). Two had a blue aureole and two yellow (Edit: the angels knew that, they just did not know who had which color AND the angels know which angels can see which angels), however none of them can see behind his head. Angel A is on the highest place and he can see angels B and C, which hang below him. Below hangs angel B, who can see only angel C under him. Angel C can't see anybody, because angel D hangs under a twig (nobody can see him and he can not see anyone either).

Which one of them will be the first to guess (Edit: speak his guess out load, deduce and say) what his own aureole is?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
what about a lucky guess

A lucky guess is to a logic puzzle as a Cuisinart is to a jigsaw puzzle; Yes, it's quicker, and at the end all the pieces fit together nicely, but it's not something you really want to spend your time looking at.

what about a lucky guess

A lucky guess is to a logic puzzle as a Cuisinart is to a jigsaw puzzle; Yes, it's quicker, and at the end all the pieces fit together nicely, but it's not something you really want to spend your time looking at.

Nice analogy(sp?).

• 2 weeks later...

The wording should be changed to say that the Angels actually speak their guess out loud. I read "guess" as "silently figuring it out" because "guess" is an internal thought process, at which point I concluded that A was the only one with any hope of figuring out his own color and only when B&C have the same colors as each other.

So, when a guess IS possible, it's only A that can do it... unless the wording is changed.

• 2 weeks later...
The wording should be changed to say that the Angels actually speak their guess out loud. I read "guess" as "silently figuring it out" because "guess" is an internal thought process, at which point I concluded that A was the only one with any hope of figuring out his own color and only when B&C have the same colors as each other.

So, when a guess IS possible, it's only A that can do it... unless the wording is changed.

Not to mention that previous posts (and the nature of a logic puzzle) dictate that they're not actually guessing.

• 1 month later...

That's exactly what I was thinking. At first I thought that "logically" the only angel with a chance in hell of making a guess was A. I didn't realize they were having a competition to see who came up with the answer first and therefore saying the guess aloud. But then again, I've never had a speaking angel on my tree either.

• 2 weeks later...
Christmas Tree - Back to the Logic Puzzles

There were 4 angels on a Christmas tree (besides other frou-frou). Two had a blue aureole and two yellow, however none of them can see behind his head. Angel A is on the highest place and he can see angels B and C, which hang below him. Below hangs angel B, who can see only angel C under him. Angel C can't see anybody, because angel D hangs under a twig (nobody can see him and he can not see anyone either).

Which one of them will be the first to guess (Edit: speak his guess out load, deduce and say) what his own aureole is?

To me it looks like this is an edited version of the Headbands riddle: A sees B and C, B sees only C, C sees nothing, and D can be left out of the equation.

So C is like white man 1, B like man 2, and A like man 3, however there are now two white (yellow) and two red (blue) bands (aureoles).

Since the colors of the aureoles are equally devided, there's no clue as to what color will be guessed, but one thing is sure:

Only Angel A has an easy shot to guess something, and that only if he sees two equal colors beneath him.

But if we assume they are all equally smart, then B must realize this and, assuming A keeps silent, be able to guess his color is different from C's

Apart from that, we know nothing...

That is my logic, now I will go look at the solution

Thank you for these excellent riddles! I'm having a hard time with most of them, and I'm considered not to be dumb

BoilingOil

• 2 weeks later...

What shade of yellow are the aureoles? A light yellow aureole could easily be mistaken for blonde hair confused the angel. Or the blue might have been mistaken for a noble pine needle which has a bit more blue than green in it.

• 2 weeks later...

What if all the angels was very smart because she was made by Dumbldore (don't ask why Dumbldore would make an angel for a christmas tree) so they atomaticlly know what color they were wearing and they all spoke at the same time?

• 2 weeks later...

I heard this exact same riddle, just worded differently. It clears up some issues u guys have:

4 men were about to be executed by firing squad. However, the prison guard decided to play a game. He placed 4 hats, 2 white and two black, on the men so that 1 and 3 had white, and 2 and 4 had black. He then placed them all in a line, all facing one direction. There was a wall between 3 and 4. So 1 could see 2 and 3, 2 could see 3, 3 could see the wall, and 4 could see nothing. He told the men that there are 2 white and 2 black hats, and if one of you can tell me which hat you have on, you all go free. Tell me wrong, and you will be shot. None of the men are stupid enough to guess which hat they have. Which man can exactly tell which hat they have on?

Same problem, worded slightly better

The prisoners in hats isn't always clear-cut either. If the 4 prisoners are required to shout out their colours, the following possibilities occur:

If 2 and 3 have the same colour hats, then 1 can call the opposite colour as his own. 2 and 3 can then call the opposite colour from 1, and 4 can call the same colour as 1. All prisoners escape.

If the prison guard was smart enough to recognise this logic and put different colour hats on 2 and 3, then 1 would be silent and 2 would call the opposite of 3's colour, allowing 3 to identify his own hat colour.

So in both situations, 2 and 3 escape. Now if 1 or 4 takes a risk and calls a random colour, the other prisoner can tell if that was wrong (by the sound of a gunshot followed by dying sounds) or correct -- again allowing the other prisoner to correctly identify his own colour.

In sum, three of the four prisoners should escape, and the 4th one might escape. You can't identify in advance if someone will die or who that someone will be.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that "Which one of them will be the first to guess?" is the correct wording for this question. At first I did come up with the answer that was in the solution, but then I thought about it some more. The question specifically states that the angels cannot see every other angel; also, they also are not able to see behind their own head. Therefore, they cannot determine how many of each color there are. Without stating that they have access to this knowledge, their only possible responses would be uneducated guesses.

I checked the Masters of Logic questions, and in each of them it specifically says that they are aware of the possible choices. Sorry, but this puzzle does not compute.

I believe that "Which one of them will be the first to guess?" is the correct wording for this question. At first I did come up with the answer that was in the solution, but then I thought about it some more. The question specifically states that the angels cannot see every other angel; also, they also are not able to see behind their own head. Therefore, they cannot determine how many of each color there are. Without stating that they have access to this knowledge, their only possible responses would be uneducated guesses.

I checked the Masters of Logic questions, and in each of them it specifically says that they are aware of the possible choices. Sorry, but this puzzle does not compute.

good point ... I have edited the puzzle ... check the wording for other improvements

• 2 weeks later...

Thr are two possibilities but only if the angels have sufficient intelligence and faith in each others intelligence.If B & C have identical aurioles i.e. 2 yellow and 2 blue then A will speak out first cause he can see them and can deduce.Otherwise A will remain silent so B will realise that he and C must have different coloured aurioles or halos else A would have spoken.So B will look at C's halo and can then deduce the colour of his own.(No colour isn't spelled wrong,its British spelling)

• 3 weeks later...

This doesn't make sense. If Angel B can't see Angel A, how does Angel B know that Angel A can see Angel B and Angel C. Why wouldn't Angel B just assume that Angel A is behind a twig like Angel D? There is no reason that Angel B should think that Angel B's color is different than Angel A from Angel A's silence. The first answer (if Angel B and Angel C are the same color) is obvious.

This doesn't make sense. If Angel B can't see Angel A, how does Angel B know that Angel A can see Angel B and Angel C. Why wouldn't Angel B just assume that Angel A is behind a twig like Angel D? There is no reason that Angel B should think that Angel B's color is different than Angel A from Angel A's silence. The first answer (if Angel B and Angel C are the same color) is obvious.

Exactly what I was thinking. How would B know that A can see B and C since B can't see A at all?

• 2 weeks later...