BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

It was the premier night of “Concerto No. 2 for 5 violins, Op. 14” by Edward Long. I was sitting in the crowd watching the warm up by the first violinist Harris Lewis, who was playing Wieniawski Op. 4 on his Stradivarius. All of a sudden, a man in a black hooded robe appeared on stage with a gun, shot the violinist dead, and ran off stage. Since it was a big night, security guards were around, and they blocked off the exits before anyone could escape. While the crowd was held back I went forward and showed my badge, ADA (advanced detective agency) detective (top secret :D). I was let through and found the following evidence.

1. the only people back stage who could possibly be the murder was the 4 other violinists, Doug – Ben – Chad – Kevin, and the owner of the theater, and one other stage helper

2. the entire building had been searched (eventually) and no gun had been found at all (or any other weapon except the guards guns)

3. at the time of the shot, Doug had been practicing in a sound proof room and hadn’t heard a thing

4. Ben had been going to the bathroom and had rushed out but saw nobody

5. Chad and Kevin had been practicing like Doug each in their own room

6. the stage owner was up by the lights and had seen a figure run out. He had chased him but the murder had flung the cape back in his face and disappeared by the time he had removed it

7. the stage helper had been back with the security guards

The man in charge of the investigation was still looking for information when I talked to him. “Why on this particular night and why was it done?”

“I was just about to ask the same thing but now I know.”

Who dunit, how'd they do it, and why???

Edited by RiddL3R

24 answers to this question

well... with your hint i think i got it...
There is generally 4 violins in a music group... so my guess was that it was ben who flushed the gun down the toilet

you cant flush a gun down a toilet. its too big.

edit:

besides, the guards would have found the the gun stuck in the toliet

Edited by 1221

Let me see. It's usually a quartet. So it can't be the owner or the stage helper. Besides, the guards would know if the stage helper's alibi was true or not, and I'm sure everyone would see a man hanging from the cieling fixing the lights.

Wait a minute! Isn't the piece for 5 violins?

Yeah! Concerto No.2 for 5 violins, Op. 14.

Edited by frozen_in_fire

Not sure about the violins, but it seems weird...

the culprit could have flung his cape UP into the stage-manager's face...it would be hard to fling a piece of cloth that big up more than like two or three feet...my guess is that the stage manager did it. He had just enough time to climb up to the lights with his cape and claimed it had been flung up at him...

Hm... what I don't understand is

you said nothing about weather the other violinists came out of their rooms when the gun fired. You only wrote that Ben came out of the bathroom! But, if they all came out after the shot then Doug did it, because there was no way for him to hear the shot cause he ''had been practicing in a sound proof room and hadn’t heard a thing''.

Or cops found Doug practicing when they searched the theater?!

Other two guys were in their rooms that weren't sound proof. Why Doug did it, I have no idea, maybe he wanted to be the lead violinist?!

:blink:

I'll need another hint if this is wrong!

Edited by andromeda

one of the gards that did it because they have no need to hide the gun and they where probably back stage?????

but the only ones who could have committed it were as said: the four violinists, the manager, and the stage helper.

Hm... what I don't understand is

I'll need another hint if this is wrong!

you said nothing about weather the other violinists came out of their rooms when the gun fired. You only wrote that Ben came out of the bathroom! But, if they all came out after the shot then Doug did it, because there was no way for him to hear the shot cause he ''had been practicing in a sound proof room and hadn’t heard a thing''.

Or cops found Doug practicing when they searched the theater?!

Other two guys were in their rooms that weren't sound proof. Why Doug did it, I have no idea, maybe he wanted to be the lead violinist?!

:blink:

I had made a mistake weather/whether

I meant to use the second word :lol:

really really sorry i've been real busy. Some of you are close i'll say who in the spoiler. :D

mekal was right! ben flushed the gun down the toliet. Y-san was right about the owner he too because he easily could've got the murder. the hard hint i was trying to see if any 1 would get is the 2,5,14 which spells out "ben" using the simplest number/letter substitution method and i was hoping someone would get it by the phrase "why would he do it on this particular night" though a little far fetched

:D

good job to those, especially andromeda 'cause he was the ONLY one who had the guts to post in the first 500 views :P

mekal was right! ben flushed the gun down the toliet. Y-san was right about the owner he too because he easily could've got the murder. the hard hint i was trying to see if any 1 would get is the 2,5,14 which spells out "ben" using the simplest number/letter substitution method and i was hoping someone would get it by the phrase "why would he do it on this particular night" though a little far fetched

That it wasn't a violinist. At the beginning it says that ben is a violinist.

really really sorry i've been real busy. Some of you are close i'll say who in the spoiler. :D

good job to those, especially andromeda 'cause he was the ONLY one who had the guts to post in the first 500 views :P

i still don't get how you flush a gun down the toilet. the gun is too big. :huh: