BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

there was a rich person living in a circular house. One day the rich guy was murdered. There were three people who could have done it, the mailman, the cook, and the butler. The mailman said that he was delivering mail to the rich person, the cook said that he was making sandwiches for the rich person, and the butler said that he was reading in the corner. who was the murderer? ^_^

14 answers to this question

Haha lol that was pretty easy... :P

The butler! No corners in a circular house!

Although I have to say a circular house would be a terrible place to try to hang up pictures on the wall...

Obvious design flaws :P

Not so fast...

True there are no corners in a circular house, but "reading in the corner" could be a turn of phrase. I think we need to look more closely at the mailman. The other two suspects have a reason to be inside the house. The mailman, however does not - he merely needs to place delivery items into the mailbox. Even if we consider that it was a large item or a letter requiring a signature, he should not have had to cross the threshold. What's he doing inside the house? (I assume that's where the crime took place as otherwise there could have been any number of other suspects if the victim was outside the house). I'd certainly be requesting a background check on him and possibly preparing the electric chair ;)

I could be barking up the wrong tree of course...*

*BTW that's just a turn of phrase, I'm neither barking, nor anywhere a tree (whether the wrong one or otherwise)

Not so fast...

True there are no corners in a circular house, but "reading in the corner" could be a turn of phrase. I think we need to look more closely at the mailman. The other two suspects have a reason to be inside the house. The mailman, however does not - he merely needs to place delivery items into the mailbox. Even if we consider that it was a large item or a letter requiring a signature, he should not have had to cross the threshold. What's he doing inside the house? (I assume that's where the crime took place as otherwise there could have been any number of other suspects if the victim was outside the house). I'd certainly be requesting a background check on him and possibly preparing the electric chair ;)

I could be barking up the wrong tree of course...*

*BTW that's just a turn of phrase, I'm neither barking, nor anywhere a tree (whether the wrong one or otherwise)

Exactly, the point, the mailman was not in the house so he couldn't have killed the guy, the only reason he was a suspect was because he was seen at the house not in the house and he does have a plausible reason for being at the house