BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Not sure how well this works but I thought I'd jump in on the fad...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to the ability of Rookie, the beneficent leader of BraindDen, to resurrect his citizens, many of those who had lost their lives in a rash of murders (a large number committed by the psychotic ThunderChicken) were breathing the fresh air of the last days of summer once again. With Labor Day weekend in the US fast approaching, some BrainDenizen friends decided to have one last vacation together to celebrate the Federal holiday.

While it was not directly related to Labor Day, the friends (PuzzleGirl, Frost, Yoruichi-san, Kat, Unreality, Dawh and ThunderChicken (recently released on probation yet again)) decided to visit a rebuilt Colonial Era frontier town made into a modern-day tourist attraction. ThunderChicken was tagging along largely because although everyone feared for their lives in his presence the friends found the thought of not knowing his whereabouts even more frightening.

They arrived at the rustic hotel late on Friday evening and went straight up to their rooms and stayed put till morning (not counting the rousing game of BANG! that extended into the wee hours of course! ;D) The next day was kicked off with a guided tour of the town which most of the party would have gladly skipped, but felt obliged to go since the tickets came free with their package deal and there was a promise of a free lunch at the end of the tour.

They started with a tour of the army barracks and the armory, which Frost had hoped would be interesting, but as was the gift of all guided tours, their guide could make even the most exciting battle sound excruciatingly dull. Trudging through the General Store and the Town Hall with the incessant drone of the guide beginning to put him to sleep, Frost was about to declare that no free lunch was worth the effort he was using to put one foot in front of the other. As he reached to tap Y-san on the shoulder, the party rounded the corner and entered the Town Square.

Immediately in front of them swayed the hangman's noose hanging from the gallows. The guide stopped next a man clamped in the stocks at the foot of the gallows and began to talk about public executions. Frost decided to stay and see if the guide could make even public executions sound humdrum.

"...so small crimes such as pickpocketing and petty theft would put the culprit in the stocks for a few days to be publically ridiculed and serve as a reminder not to steal again, while more serious crimes would result in a personal relationship with the hangman. For repeat offenders and murderers, the hangman's noose waited. However, those committing high treason received special treatment. First, they would be dragged into the square attached to a wooden hurdle, then the condemned would be hanged, drawn and quartered, and then they would have their entrails cut out and burned in front of them--"

At this point the guide was interrupted by a scream from his audience. A woman was pointing at the man in the stocks. "He-he's dead!" she managed to squeak before fainting. It was quickly established that the man was in fact no more and but for the stocks holding him in place, he'd have been pushing up the daisies. He had rope burns on his neck and it was little question that the hangman's noose had been the murder weapon. As for the murderer, the police rounded everyone up in the town square for questioning. Kat looked at TC suspiciously.

"Don't look at me!" TC replied in answer to her accusatory stare, "I've been with you guys the whole time!"

Frost, all thoughts of slumber banished from his mind, looked around the square and thinking back over the events of the day. He turned the officer in charge and said, "I know who killed the man!"

Who was the culprit and how did Frost know?

Do you know who the dead man was?

19 answers to this question

was Rookie that dead guy? was he murdered so that he could no longer resurrect the members that TC had worked so hard to kill-off?

No, I believe that the resurrection process is formulaic and known by more than one person, so the citizens of BrainDen (including Rookie) should be safe for the time being. B))

There's a lot that isn't really relevant to the crime in the story.

The faux tour guide did it. The man in the stocks was the real tour guide. He wasn't a very good guide if he can't make battles sound exciting, and what would be the point of hanging someone before you pull out his entrails?

You're on the right track, but the reasons aren't quite on the money... ;)

Maybe this is too easy... :unsure:

*Glares suspiciously*

So it IS the old tour guide

...maybe the fake tour guide wanted the job, as he was declined earlier...way off mark I'm guessing

:P

~Kat

Lol who would want to be a tour guide? Seems pretty dull to me... :P Just kidding anybody reading this that is a tour guide!

I'm thinking about why he did it but can anybody PM me or something and tell me what BANG! is? This is the first place I've ever heard of it at...

Did the question say why?? Did we have to guess why the dude wanted the job!!??!!

Yep I was thinking the same thing...

Why does it always have to include why they did it?

Who knows?

Maybe he was crazy.

Maybe he had a terminal illness and wanted to kill someone before he died.

Maybe he was drunk or high and didn't know what he was doing.

Or maybe, this is my personal favorite, he had super-strength and the dead guy thought it would be funny to get thrown by the tour guide onto a mattress or something. Then the guide, not knowing his own strength, threw him waaayyy too far and right into the noose where the dead guy immediately died.

It could be a whole range of different answers...

Lol who would want to be a tour guide? Seems pretty dull to me... :P Just kidding anybody reading this that is a tour guide!

I'm thinking about why he did it but can anybody PM me or something and tell me what BANG! is? This is the first place I've ever heard of it at...

BANG! is one of the best game in the world...search on Wikipedia, the fountain of all knowledge ;P

*Glares suspiciously*

...maybe the fake tour guide wanted the job, as he was declined earlier...way off mark I'm guessing

~Kat

I like how most of the posts after Kat are completely (or at least mostly) off-topic. The BANG! one excepted of course! B))

As to people's questions, though it pains me to say this, ThunderChicken is right... :wacko:

...in that the question didn't ask for the motive of the killer; it only asks whodunit and how did Frost know?

I think the whodunit part is fairly well settled upon, but no one is giving the reason that Frost was able to figure it out.

The fact that the tour was boring was just my poking fun at tourist attractions, nothing to do with the answer...

I like how most of the posts after Kat are completely (or at least mostly) off-topic. The BANG! one excepted of course! B))

As to people's questions, though it pains me to say this, ThunderChicken is right... :wacko:

...in that the question didn't ask for the motive of the killer; it only asks whodunit and how did Frost know?

I think the whodunit part is fairly well settled upon, but no one is giving the reason that Frost was able to figure it out.

The fact that the tour was boring was just my poking fun at tourist attractions, nothing to do with the answer...

Haha...well, just be thankful you posted this *after* the post pumping party/flame war... -_-

Anyways, because Frost has such an awesome command of words: ;)

The faux tour guide said the man was "hanged, drawn and quartered, and then they would have their entrails cut out and burned in front of them--" AFTER "First, they would be dragged into the square attached to a wooden hurdle", but that's what the "drawn" part of "hanged, drawn, and quartered" means...a real tour guide would know that. Plus the actual order is: drawn, hanged, entrails cut off, then quartered.

Or sometimes the "drawn" part could refer to the entrail-cutting, but then again, the real tour guide would know this and wouldn't have gotten the order wrong...:P

Haha...well, just be thankful you posted this *after* the post pumping party/flame war... -_-

Anyways, because Frost has such an awesome command of words: ;)

The faux tour guide said the man was "hanged, drawn and quartered, and then they would have their entrails cut out and burned in front of them--" AFTER "First, they would be dragged into the square attached to a wooden hurdle", but that's what the "drawn" part of "hanged, drawn, and quartered" means...a real tour guide would know that. Plus the actual order is: drawn, hanged, entrails cut off, then quartered.

Or sometimes the "drawn" part could refer to the entrail-cutting, but then again, the real tour guide would know this and wouldn't have gotten the order wrong...:P

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on. B))

The idea came to me kind of randomly to mess around with definitions of "drawn and quartered" and after doing five minutes of "research" on Wikipedia I found that:

drawn could refer to the part before the hanging or the bit after the hanging with the entrails and of course a real tour guide should know that. So when the tour guide mentioned the condemned being dragged into the square, hung, drawn, quartered, and then having his entrails cut out and burned Frost knew that the man didn't know the first thing about history (and it explained the terrible tour up to that point as well.

:D )

As to who the man was, I never really thought about it, but maybe it was the Mimic! :P:lol:

*Glares suspiciously*

~Kat

Hahahahaha! sorry just what you said is really funny! :D

*Glares suspiciusly* :lol:

Yeah, that's pretty much spot on. B))

The idea came to me kind of randomly to mess around with definitions of "drawn and quartered" and after doing five minutes of "research" on Wikipedia I found that:

drawn could refer to the part before the hanging or the bit after the hanging with the entrails and of course a real tour guide should know that. So when the tour guide mentioned the condemned being dragged into the square, hung, drawn, quartered, and then having his entrails cut out and burned Frost knew that the man didn't know the first thing about history (and it explained the terrible tour up to that point as well.

:D )

As to who the man was, I never really thought about it, but maybe it was the Mimic! :P:lol:

Hehe, yeah, through the process of elimination I figured it had to be that phrase that held the clue...so I went to the same Wikipedia page ;)...

Was Frost so sleepy he didn't notice his tour guide was actually a man-eating Arachobunny? :P

Hehe, yeah, through the process of elimination I figured it had to be that phrase that held the clue...so I went to the same Wikipedia page ;)...

Was Frost so sleepy he didn't notice his tour guide was actually a man-eating Arachobunny? :P

I think the problem may have had something to do with the rousing games of BANG! the night before and the fact that no one anticipated that the hotel would have "authentic" Colonial Era coffee which was essentially undrinkable for the refined taste of the BrainDenizens. :P

And all of the tea had been thrown in the ocean the day before! :o:lol:

I think the problem may have had something to do with the rousing games of BANG! the night before and the fact that no one anticipated that the hotel would have "authentic" Colonial Era coffee which was essentially undrinkable for the refined taste of the BrainDenizens. :P

And all of the tea had been thrown in the ocean the day before! :o:lol:

Haha...well, BANG! also readily lends itself to becoming a drinking game...;P