BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

• Answers 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So, back to war, we all agree that war sucks and no one likes it. But we also agree that, under the current system (lack of better word) of the world, it will continue to happen.

Is there anything else to debate in this thread?

You know nothing about me; I've read almost the entire OT (not much of the NT however)!!!!

You're right. I apologize for making such an assumption. It just irks me when someone takes a small piece of the Bible, out of context, and then blows it out of proportion. I just want to sit you down and go through it page by page and help you understand what is truly going on...why God allowed things to happen as they did.

And, no, I'm not flipping out...I'm just very passionate when it comes to my faith. My belief in the Godhead (the Trinity: Father, Son, Spirit) defines everything about who I am as a person, so I will defend the truth of God's word to my death.

That is a huge question that has a perfectly legitimate answer, when looked at in context. But it should be addressed in a different thread.

Agreed.

Edit: additions

Edited by puzzlegirl

True it's been kicked around a lot in BD, and the majority say it's not changing over night... further debate digs deeper and brings up more information. the bottom line is - how to achieve peace in a proactive way as opposed to reactive.

True it's been kicked around a lot in BD, and the majority say it's not changing over night... further debate digs deeper and brings up more information. the bottom line is - how to achieve peace in a proactive way as opposed to reactive.

So the War Club just turned into the Peace Club... sweet. :D

Edited by NM_EJL

Debating this would be so much more fun if there were people is this thread that posted here for the purpose of discussing.

What I mean is, we seem to have mostly people who don't think world peace can happen on this thread.

I was hoping it would turn out like some of the discussion in Peace club.. except, I dunno, with people actually responding to my posts :D

I am staying away from all clubs for a long long while! Well okay maybe a Mafia club

I don't get the "club" thing about the threads, both war and peace. I mean.. I dunno, I had just assumed initially that the Peace Club would just be people discussing peace and whether it's possible or not. It turns out, any discussion at all is completely shut down or ignored, and the only thing that seems to matter is "promoting peace" even though peace is a concept that most everyone knows of.

I understand the title of the War Club, but that's just because it was meant to mirror the Peace Club

P.S. I got a flute today! WOOHOO!

P.S. I got a flute today! WOOHOO!

A flutist for peace!

I agree...the whole "club" concept is kind-of whack. "Sign up and do what we say or you can't post on this thread!" Sounds more like a cult than a club. :o

I don't get the "club" thing about the threads, both war and peace. I mean.. I dunno, I had just assumed initially that the Peace Club would just be people discussing peace and whether it's possible or not. It turns out, any discussion at all is completely shut down or ignored, and the only thing that seems to matter is "promoting peace" even though peace is a concept that most everyone knows of.

I understand the title of the War Club, but that's just because it was meant to mirror the Peace Club

Well I was hoping for some seriously pacifist input in the peace club - he he

At least this proves that a club by any other name can be as peaceful (and less somnolent/moribund).

Why a flute?

umm.. I already knew guitar, so I didn't want to play strings, and the band class allready had enough percussionist, if not too many.

So I wanted a wind instrument.. I just chose flute for no reason :D

At least this proves that a club by any other name can be as peaceful (and less somnolent/moribund).

True, there seems to be a misconception that this club is embracing war.

GRRRRR

Slick started something in the Peace Club Discussion that actually sounded like a discussion, and in the same post, stated he wasn't going to discuss it at all.

Man, I was tempted to rejoin that thread for a minute there.

GRRRRR

Slick started something in the Peace Club Discussion that actually sounded like a discussion, and in the same post, stated he wasn't going to discuss it at all.

Man, I was tempted to rejoin that thread for a minute there.

Maybe, because he smelled a crazy debate coming near. Happy thread-warming to you. :D

Haven't you ever considered that debate might be a GOOD thing?

Debate and discussion aren't all about fighting and dropping A-bombs on each other's nations, like you are treating it.

If you're not willing to talk about your position in beliefs, or politics, or anything, with someone who feels differently. It suggests that you are either closed-minded, or not very sure about where you stand. And both are negative things.

Also, it is a chance to learn.

Take religious debate, for example.

There were some 700 posts in that thread, and I learned something from just about every one of them.

Without that thread, any future discussions about religion would be extremely short and pointless, on my part.

But now, I know a lot more about religion, and pretty much all of it has strengthened my beliefs, (or lack thereof) including the arguments of christians.

So, it seems that until you begin to learn, share, and discover, you will never take part in a debate/discussion, the way I see it.

Haven't you ever considered that debate might be a GOOD thing?

Debate and discussion aren't all about fighting and dropping A-bombs on each other's nations, like you are treating it.

If you're not willing to talk about your position in beliefs, or politics, or anything, with someone who feels differently. It suggests that you are either closed-minded, or not very sure about where you stand. And both are negative things.

Also, it is a chance to learn.

Take religious debate, for example.

There were some 700 posts in that thread, and I learned something from just about every one of them.

Without that thread, any future discussions about religion would be extremely short and pointless, on my part.

But now, I know a lot more about religion, and pretty much all of it has strengthened my beliefs, (or lack thereof) including the arguments of christians.

So, it seems that until you begin to learn, share, and discover, you will never take part in a debate/discussion, the way I see it.

I love debates. In fact i try to get into one every day. It's quite mentally stimulating. In fact the other day I got into a religious debate with some Born-again Christian guy at a festival in my town. It irks me when people who don't know me, tell me I'm going to hell no matter what, and all the quote is the OT. I'm like seriously? try reading its sequel, the NT. He didn't like that very much. And on the other hand I informed him while yes it's a book of guidelines, there is much more than the letter of the law, it's called the spirit of the law. In a Mythology class I'm taking right now, it is interesting to note the similarities between Norse, Egyptian, and Greek/Roman mythology to those of the stories of the Bible.

I love debates. In fact i try to get into one every day. It's quite mentally stimulating.

Well then i guess you came to the right thread.... this is a very active thread for discussion and debate! Most of it hurts my head :P;)

Seriously ppl, no a-bombs... that would just be to easy :D

Well then i guess you came to the right thread.... this is a very active thread for discussion and debate! Most of it hurts my head :P;)

Seriously ppl, no a-bombs... that would just be to easy :D

Oh I know, I've been enjoying this one for the last few days thoroughly...Hlep alleviate the boredom and monotony at work :P

Oh I know, I've been enjoying this one for the last few days thoroughly...Hlep alleviate the boredom and monotony at work :P

I am more than happy to elevate your stress levels to minumum, hey pick a fight with anyone in here ^_^

I'm not slick :lol:

He tis to... tight :P

Impervious: do I detect another Brainden atheist? Or at least non-Christian? woot! :D Hehe

Yeah, debates are good :D

Not quite my friend, I'm a Christian, just a very open-minded one. :) I've always had a huge interest in mythology.. As a result I see the similarities between all religions and this increases the annoyance of different religions fighting because, in the end, it all has the same initial foundation.

Everyone has the right to choose their story as it were, too bad no one really pays much attention to Zeus and them anymore...much more interesting :P

I am more than happy to elevate your stress levels to minumum, hey pick a fight with anyone in here ^_^

I'm not slick :lol:

He tis to... tight :P

elevate stress levels to a minimum huh? If you can do that I give you mad props :P

This has nothing to do with War.

Can anyone tell me how to put a picture by my name? I have a personal photo on my page, but I want one under my name when I post. How?

First click on the "My Controls" link at the light blue bar above these posts.

Then, on the left panel under "Personal profile" there is a link that says "Edit Avatar Settings"

Upload it (make sure the file size is less that 50kb) and voila! You have an avatar. :)

Hope that helps