BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

• Answers 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I somewhat agree with Puzzlegirl. As stated in Ecclesiastes, and that song from the Forest Gump soundtrack, there is a time for war and a time for peace…everything is beautiful in its own time.

I iz a 16 ;D lol

Joe's Student: Iraq, Afghanistan... and now Pakistan! yikes! Did you see the news?

PG: the point is that the Bible, especially the OT, essentially condones wars... but, oh wait! Quoting your own exact words, it's against unjust people! Against "sinners"! Against people with other religions, or of other kingdoms. Against people that don't believe in that particular magical sky fairy. So that makes it okay, right????? God says "Okay, the <insert tribe here> doesn't worship me, so let's go Israelites! Let's go kick some @ss and kill their men and rape their woman and burn their cities down!" And if your OT is accurate, they do that, and God is pleased. According to the OT, all of god's enemies are met with often cruel ends.

So this isn't off-topic at all, it's very much related to war, since the Bible calls for the killing of homosexuals, etc. Do you follow that particular rule (ie, kill gay people), or choose to ignore it, PG?

You ignore it, right? Exactly! Because you follow a different moral compass than the Bible. You know that war is wrong, rightfully, especially unncessary war, though your holy book may say differently, you pass it off as a metaphor or whatever

So NOW we can drop all the religion-conflict stuff, since we've arrived at the point where we agree that WAR WILL HAPPEN, AND IS A PART OF NATURE, BUT UNNECESSARY CONFLICT IS BAD :P

So we're seeing eye-to-eye now PG, so please don't reply back to this or I'll have to re-reply to that, and it will continue ;D We are on the same page now I think, so we can drop this :D

edit @ NM_EJL: I agree, and I would consider WWII a necessary war. A necessary conflict. Though I'm sure specific events, battles, decisions, etc, within the war weren't necessary and only negative for both sides, the overall concept was necessary

Edited by unreality

PG: the point is that the Bible, especially the OT, essentially condones wars... but, oh wait! Quoting your own exact words, it's against unjust people! Against "sinners"! Against people with other religions, or of other kingdoms. Against people that don't believe in that particular magical sky fairy. So that makes it okay, right????? God says "Okay, the <insert tribe here> doesn't worship me, so let's go Israelites! Let's go kick some @ss and kill their men and rape their woman and burn their cities down!" And if your OT is accurate, they do that, and God is pleased. According to the OT, all of god's enemies are met with often cruel ends.

You are off on so many levels it's laughable. You obviously have never studied the scriptures and have just relied on what anyone else who seems to think along the same lines you do says.

So we're seeing eye-to-eye now PG, so please don't reply back to this or I'll have to re-reply to that

You know I can't let you have the last word, sonny boy!! ;D

Edit: I'm off for the night...I'm head to my Bible Study. :) Peace!

Edited by puzzlegirl

birthdays happen. -_-

Yeah, but last I checked, he was 14.. I had just assumed he had a birthday, and was 15..

Anyhoo, this is completely pointless

How can God be involved if he is a "magical sky fairy?"

When people do things from the teachings of a supposed "God"

It is more or less that magical sky fairie's fault

I had a very enlightening discussion last night at my Bible study about the Christian theology in the book of Romans. Anyone who would like to discuss this, please PM me. I would be glad to carry on PM Q&A conversations/debates behind the scenes. If several of you respond, I will make it a public thread.

Back to war...

I am interested to know if anyone believes that they can themselves achieve internal/spiritual (whatever you want to call it) peace within their lifetime. Without making references to other people or religion, do you belive that YOU will attain "peace on earth" within your soul BEFORE you die???

When people do things from the teachings of a supposed "God"

It is more or less that magical sky fairie's fault

I think what NM_MJL was pointing out is that Unreality insists there is no God, yet he still makes reference to him and blames him for things...no matter what goofy name he makes up. :rolleyes:

Gee, this is fun UR. I would seriously love to continue this "discussion" with you...just not on this thread. ;D

However, if anyone would like to discuss the history of war...even dating back to Biblical times, that would be both appropriate and very interesting. I am no historian, nor am I a seminary grad, but I have studied the OT in depth and would gladly inject the knowledge I've gained. On the other hand, I got a D in high school American History (turns out you can't get away with not reading the text book and just bluffing your way through the mid-term :) )

Back to war...

I am interested to know if anyone believes that they can themselves achieve internal/spiritual (whatever you want to call it) peace within their lifetime. Without making references to other people or religion, do you belive that YOU will attain "peace on earth" within your soul BEFORE you die???

In the last moments of your death you attain peace, maybe not all but some. But there is also something that stops anyone from attaining peace, what is peace really? What do you take it as and what purpose does it serve inside of you?

I dont know... just some thoughts running through my head.

On the other hand, I got a D in high school American History (turns out you can't get away with not reading the text book and just bluffing your way through the mid-term :) )

Haha I did the same thing, only i was in with the teacher and got it bumped to a C. :)

Anyway wars or conflicts or altercations or, well you get the idea...

As I stated a few pages back it's all due to a power trip.

Look at Hitler, sure he thought he was doing the right thing. (Most people do when they go on a power trip) In a way he was trying to 'cleanse' the world to make us all equal. Personally this was a bad idea as I have a tendency to be drawn toward blond haired blue eyed girls due to their rare nature out here....I digress..

Napoleon, very short man, decided to conquer the world to make up for his shortcomings...

Stalin...no clue what his problem was, maybe it is because he's just Russian (I am too, then again I don't go around killing off my own people)

In biblical times...the Jews...No offense to any of you that are Jewish....Tried to wipe our Jesus and his apostles because they were turning people away from the temple.

The 300...Testosterone driven war mongers...had nothing better to do that sleep around (possibly with each other too...) and go kill people who threatened their perfect way of life...( don't tell Chuck Norris I said that...he thinks it was just him)

That's all I can think of for now....

Joe's Student: Iraq, Afghanistan... and now Pakistan! yikes! Did you see the news?

Any many Wars previous to those! Potential clashes with Iran and Syria! Neccessary? I don't think so.

WWII neccessary? Probably, but could have been avoided! The threat of Nazism and Nazi ideals could have been stopped and squashed in 1933, 34', 35' etc. but wasn't due to Britain's and France's Appeasment Policy towards Hitler. So ok WWII was neccessary in 1939 but didn't have to happen! So is that a lesson that other wars that are/were waged aren't/weren't neccessary i.e Iraq, Afghanistan, the War on 'Terror'..?

:)

Any many Wars previous to those! Potential clashes with Iran and Syria! Neccessary? I don't think so.

WWII neccessary? Probably, but could have been avoided! The threat of Nazism and Nazi ideals could have been stopped and squashed in 1933, 34', 35' etc. but wasn't due to Britain's and France's Appeasment Policy towards Hitler. So ok WWII was neccessary in 1939 but didn't have to happen! So is that a lesson that other wars that are/were waged aren't/weren't neccessary i.e Iraq, Afghanistan, the War on 'Terror'..?

I really don't think wars need to happen period, unless absolutely necessary (i.e. one country is wrongfully invading another country to claim the land as their own) The 'war on terror' is ridiculous, I mean seriously, if anything we are the terror now. we're going through buildings to take out theses terrorists, but there is so much more to it that. Capturing terrorists is just a facade. The big issue at had is oil. the President and VP both has investments in oil. So naturally if America controls it they control their investment.

The 'war on terror' is ridiculous, I mean seriously, if anything we are the terror now. we're going through buildings to take out theses terrorists, but there is so much more to it that. Capturing terrorists is just a facade. The big issue at had is oil. the President and VP both has investments in oil. So naturally if America controls it they control their investment.

Dude, I'm serious, you HAVE to see the movie "the Kingdom" is covers every point you just said.

Though question.

I think the only way to answer it is with a time machine.

The war in Iraq is completely unnecessary, but as for Afghanistan…. Remember 9/11? The Taliban was in total control of the country and they attacked us first, unprovoked. I think it was a good decision to take them out of power because I do not believe diplomacy would have worked. Once again we need a time machine.

Dude, I'm serious, you HAVE to see the movie "the Kingdom" is covers every point you just said.

Saw it with my friend who's based in Baghdad actually.

Own it and have it downloaded :)

His only grievance...the gunshot sounds weren't accurate.

I really don't think wars need to happen period, unless absolutely necessary (i.e. one country is wrongfully invading another country to claim the land as their own) The 'war on terror' is ridiculous, I mean seriously, if anything we are the terror now. we're going through buildings to take out theses terrorists, but there is so much more to it that. Capturing terrorists is just a facade. The big issue at had is oil. the President and VP both has investments in oil. So naturally if America controls it they control their investment.

Also would anyone else agree that the 'Terror' threat has been inadvertently caused by imperialist intervention throughout the World, but especially the Middle East. The invasion on Afghanistan and Iraq has done nothing but fuel extremism, not in anyway eradicate it.

Also the likes of the US along with Britain and other strong European Nations have been interfering in the Middle East for decades for their own economical gain. This is the real reason in my opinion that extremism is a threat at the minute. Alot of people are angry, extremely angry, at this interference; it has ruined lives, severely weakened economies, caused hardship, and has brought 'terrorists' to where they're at now. Was this intervention fair or just?

I'm always sceptical upon hearing the word terorist. From my own experience it's a propaganda tool by goverments. For example would you call, the I.R.A. terrorists, or were they waging war for freedom. Would you call E.T.A. terrorists or are they waging war for freedom? You may disagree with me but I can call on some of my own experience for some of my opinions, and it's from this that i would lean towards them being freedom fighters and not terrorists..

Is that type of war legitimate, acceptable? If people are oppressed, is an uprising, a war, ok?

:P

Lets get this strait, the war in Iraq is not either bad nor good. Mr. Idiot had to declare war, i mean what would YOU do? Sit back into your chair and not do anything? I for one would of done the same, although i woundn't of taken my sweet time doing it, but congress had also a say in it. Blame them for getting our asses kicked! They made the vote to not finantialy support the war. THATS ONE THING THAT PISSES ME OFF! CAUSING IT BUT NOT BACKING IT UP!!!!!!!

*sigh*

there is not going to be peace with me for a long time =/

Lets get this strait, the war in Iraq is not either bad nor good. Mr. Idiot had to declare war, i mean what would YOU do? Sit back into your chair and not do anything? I for one would of done the same, although i woundn't of taken my sweet time doing it, but congress had also a say in it. Blame them for getting our asses kicked! They made the vote to not finantialy support the war. THATS ONE THING THAT PISSES ME OFF! CAUSING IT BUT NOT BACKING IT UP!!!!!!!

*sigh*

And if this war "had" to be done, is it fair that the US is now going to pull out troops?

Edit: Adding punctuation :D

Edited by Joe's Student

*sigh*

I agree with how poorly congress handled it. Bush needed to retaliate against the attack to show that we wont just roll over and play dead. however, once we took care of what we needed to, congress and bush should have pulled our troops out immediately not leave them there...

I dont know if thats what I would do.

We had just turned the entire country upside down, and then we just leave? I say since, unfortunatley, we're there and did what we did, we should stay, in some degree, until the country is stable again.

We had just turned the entire country upside down, and then we just leave? I say since, unfortunatley, we're there and did what we did, we should stay, in some degree, until the country is stable again.

Thank you, NM, that's exactly how I see it.

My knowledge with the war is extremeley limited, but I do agree with this.