BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

Hearing that the famous Prof. Templeton was the guest lecturer for the seminar at Redrum University that morning, Y-san decided to drag herself out of bed before noon (for once) and attend. Luckily for her, there was always a large thermos/pot of coffee and cookies set out in the back of the seminar hall for attendees. As Y-san filled her mug and greedily sucked the caffeinated (i.e. life-giving) elixir down, she caught sight of Sinistral and Phaze. She hailed them, and they took seats together. As they sat down, the noticed Ben Law arriving with an attractive redhead. Phaze glared. When Y-san asked him what was wrong, Phaze replied that he had seen the redhead in the newspapers. She was a recent wealthy widow who was rumored to have murdered her husband.

Since the Prof. was using a power-point presentation, the lights in the lecture hall were turned off as soon as everyone was seated. There were a few lights illuminating the aisles so that the attendees could get themselves more refreshments. In her peripheral vision, Y-san noticed several people walking up to get coffee, including the redhead who had been sitting next to Ben Law. As the lecture was wrapping down, Sinistral stood up to get some more cookies and asked Y-san if she wanted any. She declined the cookies, but said that she would love some more coffee. When Sinistral returned with the coffee, the lecture was just ending. Y-san took a sip and frowned as the lights came on.

There was a scream. Everyone turned to see Ben Law's body with a bloody stab wound in his chest. There was shock, but, it being Redrum University, everyone in the hall knew not to leave. The police were called on someone's cell phone. Phaze stalked over to the redhead and took her purse. He emptied the contents in the aisle, but there was nothing that could have been used as the murder weapon. Later on, the police would find that there was nothing out of place in the lecture room.

"Guess she didn't do it after all," Sinistral said as Phaze came back to where he and Y-san were waiting. Phaze shook his head, he had been so certain the redhead was guilty. He was too frustrated to speak...until he saw Y-san's face.

Y-san's lips were forming her trademark knowing, lopsided smile. "No Phaze, you're not crazy. She did do it."

22 answers to this question

i'm gonna go with sugar cubes melted together to make a sharp point. She then ate it like a pseudo-cannibal

to ate it. She may then put them back to the coffee. Let them melt and drank it.

Excellent work, both of you..

I-san is right about the murder weapon, but if it was hard enough to stab him, then she would break her teeth on it if she tried to eat it...

Plus Y=san's frown when she drank her second cup of coffee was a clue...Y-san likes bitter chocolate ;P

YS - Thou art a great innovator :P

How does these ideas pour forth from your mind ?

Hehe...I guess I think a lot about murder...;P

Excellent work, both of you..
I-san is right about the murder weapon, but if it was hard enough to stab him, then she would break her teeth on it if she tried to eat it...

Plus Y=san's frown when she drank her second cup of coffee was a clue...Y-san likes bitter chocolate ;P

she could have just sucked on it during the presentation. sugar melts in your mouth, not in your hands. i never did get those m&ms

she could have just sucked on it during the presentation. sugar melts in your mouth, not in your hands. i never did get those m&ms

it was more like a knife shaped sugar piece, and it had to be pretty thick in order to have the tensile strength necessary (i.e. sugar crystals fracture easily), so she would have had to bite pieces off, which would have broken her teeth...

:P

How about

She carried a dagger shaped icicle which she melted inthe cofee pot. weaker coffee v/s sweeter coffee?

Sticking in a knife is fine, pulling it out sure makes a mess. So in either case how did she transport it to the coffee pot without dripping BL's blood on the way or her person? As there were no other signs in the room or her person, she couldn't have used a tissue/cloth etc to prevent drips.

I do hope she cleaned the weapon cause I wouldn't want Y-San to have tasted blood. ;) As it is Redrum seems to have enough murders.

The only answer I can see is that

She stabben BenLaw with the sugar shank then broke it into pieces and dropped it into her coffee, went back and poured the melted weapon with the coffee into the thermos or carafe.

My initial thought was that she could have used an EXTREMELY chilled ice dagger. Maybe starts at -50 degrees Celsius. Cold enough at the start to allow it to not melt and maintain it's hardness. She would have to hold it with some sort of glove or wrap item which it wouldn't stick to, however. After stabbing, she puts it in the coffee and it melts but makes the whole pot of coffee cold.

I hadn't considered the sugar-knife idea.

@ Yoruichi-san

Thank you for the honorable mention, despite the commotion I hope you all enjoyed the lecture (except for Ben Law, I don't think he enjoyed it too much). ;)

Well, it was a great lecture, we're really glad that you came :D, but don't thank me just yet...it hasn't been said you left Redrum University alive...;P

@ Yoruichi-san

Thank you for the honorable mention, despite the commotion I hope you all enjoyed the lecture (except for Ben Law, I don't think he enjoyed it too much). ;)

Dear Prof,

I am not sure whether Ben Law did enjoy or not. Because

Yoruichi stated "There were a scream"

Question: Who screamed?

If is from Ben Law, that means he is paying high attention on your lecture and hence not notice the woman stabbed him. And then what the woman can do is to throw the dagger-shaped sugar into the coffee and let it melt.

If is not, which mean he has been killed much earlier than the person who scream noticed him. Which, indirectly tell us that he is asleep while you are lecturing. And most properly, the woman has plenty of time celebrating her mission by keep licking the dagger-shaped sugar by using her tounge until whole thing is gone!

See! I finally found a missing link between my guess and Itachi-san's!

What results from guessing a woman's age...:P ???

Unknown to all YS is also a master of disguise. YS was the redhead.

After the murder, the weapon, murderer all disappeared. :P

Edited by Ben Law

Dear Prof,

I am not sure whether Ben Law did enjoy or not. Because

Yoruichi stated "There were a scream"

Question: Who screamed?

If is from Ben Law, that means he is paying high attention on your lecture and hence not notice the woman stabbed him. And then what the woman can do is to throw the dagger-shaped sugar into the coffee and let it melt.

If is not, which mean he has been killed much earlier than the person who scream noticed him. Which, indirectly tell us that he is asleep while you are lecturing. And most properly, the woman has plenty of time celebrating her mission by keep licking the dagger-shaped sugar by using her tounge until whole thing is gone!

See! I finally found a missing link between my guess and Itachi-san's!

Lol...:D

Yeah, the scream came when the lights came on...