BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

What is Correct

rookie1ja

I feel bad for the people answering that it's 12 not 13.

After reading all of the previous replies, one can assume that both "seven and five is thirteen", and "seven and five are thirteen" are both correct. "and" doesnt mean addition.

It all depends on whether "7 and 5" is one expression or two.

7 and 5 IS 13 because 7+5 is one mathematical expression

Also in some weird way, 7+5 can equal 13 as Mythx said.

7 and 5 ARE 13 because "7" and "5" are considered two different expressions

• 10 months later...

I feel bad for the people answering that it's 12 not 13.

After reading all of the previous replies, one can assume that both "seven and five is thirteen", and "seven and five are thirteen" are both correct. "and" doesnt mean addition.

It all depends on whether "7 and 5" is one expression or two.

7 and 5 IS 13 because 7+5 is one mathematical expression

Also in some weird way, 7+5 can equal 13 as Mythx said.

7 and 5 ARE 13 because "7" and "5" are considered two different expressions

Yeah, I agree. One expression on two?

• 2 months later...

i would neither as five and seven is thirteen, doesn't make grammatical sense. unless it refers to a group; yet this was posted as a maths problem the answer 5 & 7 is 13 is proved incorrect. five and seven are thirteen is also wrong due the word thirteen. however the phrase could refer to a small part of more elaborated information; that is there is too little contain within only the five words in both phrases. thus 5 & 7 are 13 is incorrect. therefore as both have been proven to be incorrect results aligned with the given information i would say the result in: more information needed to accurately assess the question set. primarily are the five and seven both refered to as a group; or are five and seven both refed to as two separate entities.

i would neither as five and seven is thirteen, doesn't make grammatical sense. unless it refers to a group; yet this was posted as a maths problem the answer 5 & 7 is 13 is proved incorrect. five and seven are thirteen is also wrong due the word thirteen. however the phrase could refer to a small part of more elaborated information; that is there is too little contain within only the five words in both phrases. thus 5 & 7 are 13 is incorrect. therefore as both have been proven to be incorrect results aligned with the given information i would say the result in: more information needed to accurately assess the question set. primarily are the five and seven both refered to as a group; or are five and seven both refed to as two separate entities.

Hey Jimi, 5 & 7 are 12 or is 12, I don't care how you say it, it's never gonna be 13 though.

• 2 months later...