BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Whodunit?

A mangled, unidentifiable human body was discovered on a garden path by some passers-by. A crowd gathered, as usually happens in these situations. Of course Y-san was on the site as well: she mysteriously finds herself at almost all murder scenes.

"Oh, no. Another murder. What is this town coming to?" "Who is it?" "What happened?" and other such exclamations could be heard in the crowd. People were so bust talking they weren't paying very close attention to the murder scene. Except Y-san, ever the clever detective. But even she didn't have much to go on. Aside from the body, the only evident clues were:

the hedge-lined, elegant pathway had indentations (long ones);

some old papers hung everywhere;

residue was apparent: sticky, thick residue;

and muddy prints led eastward & downhill.

But yet the historically enigmatic Y-san already knew:

whodunit, how, and to whom. Now it's your turn.

EDIT: typos

Edited by Cherry Lane

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

the hedge-lined, elegant pathway had indentations (long ones);

some old papers hung everywhere;

residue was apparent: sticky, thick residue;

and muddy prints led eastward & downhill.

Based on the above objects I found

The philosopher was trampled ?

CL, am I on the right track? :huh:

Based on the above objects I found

The philosopher was trampled ?

CL, am I on the right track? :huh:

Since I think she's asleep...

you're going correctly, but have to keep going...;P...she had a good reason for choosing Y-san as the detective that had nothing to do with Y-san's abilities...

Since I think she's asleep...

you're going correctly, but have to keep going...;P...she had a good reason for choosing Y-san as the detective that had nothing to do with Y-san's abilities...

I am not too sure about my guess either.

then the philosopher mean "unreality"

is killed by something compressed or flatterned it

but by whom, I am still figure this out.... <_<

But also I am puzzle when CL use the word "enegmatic" which makes me think of your previous post long time ago.....

Haha...no one's figured it out yet? CL:

All's well...everything sometime obviously must end!

-\-/

Finally! I can't believe it took so long. How appropriate the Y-san really was the first to solve it!

Y-san: Time helps all noses know something

As the hedge was trampled, I guess it is reasonable to assume that a garage or a driveway was beyond it. The philosopher was ambling on, continuing on his search :P , when the murderer sped up the driveway and veered the car over the hedge and crushed the philosopher underneath.

Just guessing here. :P Atleast is the garage/driveway thing correct? :rolleyes::lol:

As the hedge was trampled, I guess it is reasonable to assume that a garage or a driveway was beyond it. The philosopher was ambling on, continuing on his search :P , when the murderer sped up the driveway and veered the car over the hedge and crushed the philosopher underneath.

Just guessing here. :P Atleast is the garage/driveway thing correct? :rolleyes::lol:

and I thought you were on to something when you were the first to ask if the hedge was trampled. But I was wrong...and so are you. Sorry. Go back and read the clues again.

woon, I've been waiting for you to find this puzzle. I knew you would find the right approach

you must keep going. you are not finished yet...keep reading

Hurray! Hurray! I think I found the answer!!!!!

The philospher was trampled by the yak !!!

Once again, I request an icon which can dance happily.... :lol::D

Finally! I can't believe it took so long. How appropriate the Y-san really was the first to solve it!

Y-san: Time helps all noses know something

Is it a coincidence that the first letter of the words spell out "Thanks"?

Is it a coincidence that the first letter of the words spell out "Thanks"?

SO THATS IT!!

goodness

after all that....

I new only what could accidental nightly suspicions ever end into them. :D

Edited by solemnraven

Yay! good job, woon, I knew you'd get there!

And solemnraven, thanks for sticking with it. My personal puzzle bumper - can I hire you full-time?

if you bothered to read the wiki Yak page when doing the Yak hunt, you'd learn that yaks produce some sort of bodily secretion that is, well, sticky. Kind of anticlimactic, eh?

the indentations were from the yak tusks, the papers belonged to the philosopher, eastward referred to the Yak heading home, and I had to use downhill so the puzzle worked, but really the Yak would have gone uphill to get home, since it lives in high elevations.

Great puzzle, CL! And it was brilliant timing the premier in the middle of the murder mystery frenzy ;). When I first saw this, I was stuck trying to figure out what "trick" the murderer used. But coming back to it after these weeks with a new perspective on things I was totally able to see the true ingenuity of it! Let me repeat: Awesome! :D

Great puzzle, CL! And it was brilliant timing the premier in the middle of the murder mystery frenzy ;). When I first saw this, I was stuck trying to figure out what "trick" the murderer used. But coming back to it after these weeks with a new perspective on things I was totally able to see the true ingenuity of it! Let me repeat: Awesome! :D

I could not help myself but keep saying this is a great one! Clues are presented in both way, the hidden one and the informative one!

And I only happen to understand the meaning when CL keep saying "Please re-read" :lol: