BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Whodunit?

A mangled, unidentifiable human body was discovered on a garden path by some passers-by. A crowd gathered, as usually happens in these situations. Of course Y-san was on the site as well: she mysteriously finds herself at almost all murder scenes.

"Oh, no. Another murder. What is this town coming to?" "Who is it?" "What happened?" and other such exclamations could be heard in the crowd. People were so bust talking they weren't paying very close attention to the murder scene. Except Y-san, ever the clever detective. But even she didn't have much to go on. Aside from the body, the only evident clues were:

the hedge-lined, elegant pathway had indentations (long ones);

some old papers hung everywhere;

residue was apparent: sticky, thick residue;

and muddy prints led eastward & downhill.

But yet the historically enigmatic Y-san already knew:

whodunit, how, and to whom. Now it's your turn.

EDIT: typos

Edited by Cherry Lane

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

the murdered is TC, and the murderer i'm still unsure about. Reason being TC made a lot of death threats to random people in the recent trend murder puzzles. But other then that i'm stumped.

this may surprise you all, but

played no part in this particular puzzle

Also, please note, solemnraven, that I didn't say the victim had made death threats, but that threats had been made against the victim. The victim is a rather peaceful sort. But then so is the killer...usually.

where did all the detectives go? do you need more hints?

Frozen_in_Fire, Mekal, TwoADay, and Phaze were all witnessed threatening the victim.

Spoiler for However:

none of them is the killer

Spoiler for in fact:

the killer wasn't even a BD member at the time the threats were made against the victim

You really don't need that info, or anything else that's not in the OP, to solve this.

this may surprise you all, but

Also, please note, solemnraven, that I didn't say the victim had made death threats, but that threats had been made against the victim. The victim is a rather peaceful sort. But then so is the killer...usually.

played no part in this particular puzzle

yeah i misread it.

sorry :o

bumppity....i want this solved darnit!!

Ive got it!

A school bus lost control/the brakes gave out. This explains the long dents, the sticky residue [kids are always sticky] and the down hill and papers thing

Sorry, no, but I do agree that "kids are always sticky". Nice!

this is really hard (as i'm sure you can tell)

although i think the answer has to come from a lot of research of people who post here on the BD.

I feel I am too new to BD to know each of the most common poster's writing styles to do this by myself...

i see Kathleen's name popping up a lot when i search for murder and death posts....and she did get a death threat in this post

ok....

SO

old papers means you have to go look back through old posts and topics,

in the post i linked above she gets a death threat. the reason why Y-san knows is because Y-san said "Haha...actually when I said he needed someone to kill, his first suggestion was you, Kat "

Tracks and muddy prints (footprints) were in Kat's post here

and

sticky residue i have no idea, could mean a sticky topic of some sort....

still searching....

hmmm am i on the right track?

(im no detective)

this is really hard (as i'm sure you can tell)

although i think the answer has to come from a lot of research of people who post here on the BD.

I feel I am too new to BD to know each of the most common poster's writing styles to do this by myself...

i see Kathleen's name popping up a lot when i search for murder and death posts....and she did get a death threat in this post

ok....

SO

old papers means you have to go look back through old posts and topics,

in the post i linked above she gets a death threat. the reason why Y-san knows is because Y-san said "Haha...actually when I said he needed someone to kill, his first suggestion was you, Kat "

Tracks and muddy prints (footprints) were in Kat's post here

and

sticky residue i have no idea, could mean a sticky topic of some sort....

still searching....

hmmm am i on the right track?

(im no detective)

You don't need to do any research. You don't need to know any braindenizens to arrive at the solution, just to appreciate it once you have it.

Thanks for sticking with it. I know you'll see it eventually.

Is it important that muddy prints led eastward & downhill?

downhill I understand, someone arrived there on wheels and it's vehicle rolled downhill so that person had to run downhill after it, but why eastward? Sunshine in the eyes... no because of the muddy prints, so it was cloudy. Sticky residue, some powder that got soaked in water and that changed it's quality. Hit and run kind of situation or both of those individuals were ridding the same vehicle. Or the dead person fell down from somewhere and scared the person that was driving by...

I don't know, was any of these correct? :mellow:

Is it important that muddy prints led eastward & downhill

to be truly accurate, the prints would have led uphill, actually

more responses for andromeda

downhill I understand, someone arrived there on wheels and it's vehicle rolled downhill so that person had to run downhill after it, but why eastward? No vehicle was involved

Sunshine in the eyes... no because of the muddy prints, so it was cloudy. Read earlier clues - the area was not muddy, just the prints. Not that it matters

Sticky residue, some powder that got soaked in water and that changed it's quality. Hit and run kind of situation or both of those individuals were ridding the same vehicle. Or the dead person fell down from somewhere and scared the person that was driving by... again, no vehicle

I don't know, was any of these correct? :mellow:
nope, sorry

Responses to Grey Cells:

Did the papers hang on to the sticky residue(gum maybe)? I guess they could, but it's not important

Wes the hedge trampled? actually it was :) (ding ding ding! first good deduction here)

Sorry, I am still in the questions phase. :Pnot a problem

Responses to andromeda

Was the spillage of the sticky residue that caused the muddy prints? no. The sticky residue did not spill it was just, uh, left behind

er well, i'm no detective but i'm guessing that the killer could be a relative of Ysan and that's why Ysan knows who it is(?) and the guy dead might be... um... I've got no idea

Edited by Jodah

Well, this is kind of out there, but its what I thought of:

The murderer poured honey on the victim and the victim was mauled by some bears?

Ok, So was the person raped? and is so, is that the sticky stuff, oh and was the victom male or female.

simply... :lol:

CL-

was the sticky residue blood?

Edited by solemnraven

i literally just read this for the first time so let's see:

Prof. Templeton was killed because he was correcting papers and they blew all over when he was mowed down by a car that came careening through the hedges and didn't see him. The car lost control because it was leaking brake fluid and couldn't stop because it was going downhill. And the driver was Slickster because his name can be interpreted as a slick sticky residue type thing. -no offense lolz

am i right or am i right? B))

Some VERY creative answers, y'all! But none are correct. I fear you will be disappointed when you learn the real solution - yours are very good.

No one has correctly IDed the sticky residue yet, but that's not surprising - it's not something you see evey day (or probably ever). So don't focus on that, ok?

Still trying to come up with a good clue that won't totally give it away, but I'm not having much success.

all I can recommend is to reread the OP, carefully.

Edited by Cherry Lane

OK! This is quite a brain stretcher but I managed to untangle this much

mangled unidentifiable human body is actually a scarecrow stuffed with old (news)papers (garden path, people busy talking, not paying very close attention to the murder scene)

That is as far as I got. I don't know who did it and why.

Is this finally any good!?!?! :blink:

Edited by andromeda

This is a long shot but

a dog attack the scarecrow.

Or, you're gonna laugh, a clown attacked the scarecrow. :lol:

Again I don't know why would a clown attack a scarecrow.

While, who knows why dogs do the things that they do, they're dogs!

My brain is overheated so I'll go and shove it in a bucket of ice!

:wacko: