BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Whodunit?

A mangled, unidentifiable human body was discovered on a garden path by some passers-by. A crowd gathered, as usually happens in these situations. Of course Y-san was on the site as well: she mysteriously finds herself at almost all murder scenes.

"Oh, no. Another murder. What is this town coming to?" "Who is it?" "What happened?" and other such exclamations could be heard in the crowd. People were so bust talking they weren't paying very close attention to the murder scene. Except Y-san, ever the clever detective. But even she didn't have much to go on. Aside from the body, the only evident clues were:

the hedge-lined, elegant pathway had indentations (long ones);

some old papers hung everywhere;

residue was apparent: sticky, thick residue;

and muddy prints led eastward & downhill.

But yet the historically enigmatic Y-san already knew:

whodunit, how, and to whom. Now it's your turn.

EDIT: typos

Edited by Cherry Lane

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm back, as you can see, and it seems a trend started while I was away. Jumping in with my own murder mystery here. I've read most of the others (I may have missed some), and I don't think this one has been done yet. Kinda surprised, though, since my victim has certainly received some death threats!

Wow, this is going to be a tough one. Hmm, let's see...

are the old papers important documents? or pages from a book? or and old newspaper perhaps?

Is the body Slickster? or GC?

Is the residue honey? or tar? or paint? or molasses? or sap?

Was it muddy outside? or were the prints just muddy?

Edited by puzzlegirl

Are we alowed to ask questions or should we just guess?? :rolleyes:

Most questions won't get you very far...you have all the information you need. But feel free to ask anyway (see my answers to PG, below). No, you shouldn't just guess (this is a puzzle, not a guessing game), but please provide some reasoning with your solution attempts so I know its not a random guess. I'd hate to spill the beans on the answer just because someone guessed randomly. Though I doubt anyone would get this through random guessing.

Wow, this is going to be a tough one. Hmm, let's see...

are the old papers important documents? or pages from a book? or and old newspaper perhaps? Lets say they were pages from a book

Is the body Slickster? or GC? why do you think that? I'll not answer random guesses.

Is the residue honey? or tar? or paint? or molasses? or sap? no, none of those

Was it muddy outside? or were the prints just muddy? I'll go with... just the prints were muddy.

I'm not very good at this type of puzzle...

the only way Y-San can immediately know the killer, victim, and motivation immediately and with certainty is if SHE IS THE MURDERER!! ahhh! run, everybody!

:P

the only way Y-San can immediately know the killer, victim, and motivation immediately and with certainty is if SHE IS THE MURDERER!! ahhh! run, everybody!

hehe :P now that would make one think about all the other murders

Can I ask a question about the "indentations"? I don't understand what it means, are there holes in the hedges next to the path or marks in the path itself?

They are marks in the path itself (could they have been left by the murderer? maybe/maybe not)

Sorry, no, it wasn't Y-san. She's just that good.

Ok, this is going to be someone on the forums as the murderer and the vicitim right?

I don't know many people. I'm starting to form ideas though.

Phantasm. He has a 'Sticky' topic at the top of this board.

Am I answering in the correct way?

Yes, the involved parties are BD members, but its ok if you don't know them. You can still solve the puzzle.

I mean Unreality.

nice detecting....but not quite the correct approach. Keep trying! You may be closer than you think.

I'm stuck, got a hint cherry lane???

thanks for the bump! I was just lamenting that this puzzle seemed to be forgotten. For that, you get a clue

the puzzle is written as a tribute to the victim; i.e., in the style of one of the victim's puzzle clues. The killer also has done something similar.

ok here goes

the body is thunder chicken.

He was acidentally killed by a street sweeper who made a wrong turn down a hedgerow path, leaving big gashes in the ground due to the weight. Those sweepers leave more trash than they pick up I swear!

TC was passed out in the lane and didnt hear the truck coming.

the murdered is TC, and the murderer i'm still unsure about. Reason being TC made a lot of death threats to random people in the recent trend murder puzzles. But other then that i'm stumped.

I think that I am the murderer since i killed him in a previous game. I tried to at least.

Edited by crazypainter