BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Welcome to war room,

I have decided to host a war game, based on time before world war one. There is a long list of rules, but one you get the hang of it, its quite a simple game. The initial ruleset is based of a game call Diplomacy which is a play by post game which has been around since 1959. Ideally we need 7 players to play, but I can do 2 up to 7. It is a game of alliance and stregity.

Each player represents one of the seven "Great Powers of Europe" in the years prior to World War I. These Great Powers include England, Germany, Russia, Turkey, Italy, France and Austria-Hungry ( will call Austria from now on).

Object of the Game:

===================

As soon as one Great Power controls 18 supply centres, it is considered to have gained control of Europe. The players representing that Great Power is the winner.

Map:

====

post-9147-1220268074_thumbjpg

PS Russia starts St petersburg, Moscow,Sevastapol, Warsaw (cant be seen on the map)

Provinces: There are 3 types of provances

Inland, Water, and costal. Only Armies move on inland provances, likewise only Fleets can move in water. A Costal province is land which is adjacent to one or more water provinces.

Supply Centres:There are 34 supply centres on the map (indicated by a dot). A Great Power can only has as many Units as they own supply centres at the end of a Fall Turn. Therefore there will never be more than 34 Units on the map at any time.

Units:

======

There are two types of units Armies, and Fleets.

All Units have the same strength, during the game Units can be supported by one another to increase strength. Also there only can be one Unit in a provance at the same time.

Armies: represented by a tank icon and can only go on land

Fleets: represented by a boat , can only go on water.

The Set Up

==========

Each player puts in order the Great Powers they want to be, and they will be assigned out by preference then by random (if two players have the same preference).

How to play

===========

Overview:

This game is a game of Negotiations, alliances, promises kept, promises broken, betrayial. In order to survive a player needs help from others. In order to win a player needs to eventually stand alone.

At the beginning of a turn a players can get together and discuss plans, form alliances, on public forums, PM, on the phone email or any other way the see fit, though they are encoraged to take part in discussions on the game thread.

The game is split into turns, each of which is 6 months in time, they are called Spring, and Fall.

Each turn is split into phases

Spring Phases:

1. Diplomatic Phase

2. Orders

3. Resolution

4. Reteat and Defeat

Fall Phases:

1. Diplomatic Phase

2. Orders

3. Resolution

4. Reteat and Defeat

5. Gaining and losing Units.

6. Winning Conditions.

Phases 1 and 2 will be combined, and I will expect a PM from the player by the set time ( will usually be 24 hours) but will be defendant on how busy I am, or how much discussion will be going on. I will try and "Resolve" the orders quickly so the game can progress onto the retreat phase. I will post who needs to retreat, and will expect a PM of where the units are going.

At "winning conditions" phase if there is a winner, I will announce gameover.

Order Phase:

============

Each player must Pm me a order sheet with what each Unit they controls is to do. Countries will be refered to by the 3 letter abrivation on the map, if I cant understand any order I will PM asking for a further explaination.

If I have received no orders I will set all your Units to hold, or replace you from the game with a active player.

Types of Orders:

================

Hold, Move, Support, Convoy ( fleet only)

Hold:

Your Unit stays where they are, and defend themselves

eg

A Hol Hold ( to hold Army at holand)

A Den Hold ( to hold Army at denmark)

Move ( or attack ):

Move Units from one province into another for attack, or take control if empty. Unites can only move from one province to a province which borders it. Fleets can move to a coast province or into another water province. When a fleet is at a costal province it is still consered to be in water, so can move anywhere province which borders the water province.

F Hol Move Bel ( to move Fleet from holland to belgum)

* Units of equal strength both trying to occupy the same province cause all involved Units to remain in their original position, this is called a standoff.

* A standoff doesn't move a Unit all ready in the orivince where the standoff took place

* One unit not moving can stop a series of units from moving, you can only move into a empty space, or attack ( if 1 vs 1 attack, the defender winds)

* 2 Units can not trade places without use of a canvoy.

* 3 or more untis can trade place during a turn provided none directly trade places ( previous rule)

Support:

Supporting increases the strength of a Unit. Suport can be both for defense ( hold ) or offense ( move ). You CAN support another Great Power units ( a key to victory). The units must be able to move to the province where the support will take place.

Supporting Holds:

In your order you must specify the country with the units you want to support, then the units you will be supporting. If the Units been supported move then the support has failed.

eg:

A Bel Support Holand ( Armies in Belgium will support armies in Holland)

Supporting Moves:

Support attacks and makes them stronger. You need a supported attack to defeat an unsupported defender.

In the order you must specify the unit that will be doing the supporting, the origion province of the move, and the destination of the move.

eg:

A Bel Supprt A Hol Moving to Ruh ( Armies in Belgium will support the Armies moving from Holand to Ruhr".

Cutting Support:

Support is cur if the Unit gicing the support is attacked from any province except the one where support is given.

Convoy:

A Fleet in a water province ( no costal) can convoy an Army from any costal province bordering the water province to any other bordering costal province

The Army is ordered to move to the new costal province and the Fleet is ordered to convoy it.

eg

A Ank-Ser ( move army from Ankara to Sevastapol)

F Bla C A Ank-Ser ( Fleet in the black sea, convoy the Army moving from Ankara to Sevastapol)

Support cannot be convoyed.

A army can be convoyed accross more then one water province if there is a Fleet in each water province.

Retreat of a fleet in the water province causes the convay to fail.

A convoy which causes a standoff (same number of army's on both sides) at destination cause a convoy to fail.

Other Rules

===========

You cant attack your own units.

An attack by a Player on their own supporting units does not cause support to fail.

Two units can exchange places if both are convoyed.

There are a few more rules but hardly ever come up in a game.

Retreat and Defeat (Disbanding):

================================

If you lose a battle you will be given the option to retreat to a bordering province which is unoccupied. You will PM me the location to retreat to. If there is no where to go your units dies.

If two or more units are ordered to retreat to the same province they all die.

You can choose not to retreat, in this case your unit will die.

Gaining and losing Units ( only after fall):

============================================

Every player get as many units as Supply Centres they own. If they have more units then supply centres ( because someone sucessfully attack the provance with supply centre), units must be removed until they are equal. Players will PM me their choice.

If they own more Supply Centres than units ( sucessfully attacked a provance with a supply centre) they can add a unit ONLY to one of their starting supply centres. If there is a unit on all of them the unit cant be added.

You can build both fleets and army's on a coastal supply centre, and only army on inland supply centre.

Winning Condition

=================

If a player has 18 supply centres they will win the game.

Writing Orders:

===========

There is a standard format for writin orders, but as long as i can understand them I will accept.

<A/F> <province> <order>

A/F A for army F for fleet

<province> the province which the unit is currently ocupping refer to the map.

<order> H (hold), - ( Move), C ( convoy ), S ( support)

For a "Move" order the "-" is folowed by the destination.

For a "Support" the S is followed by a destiontion for a Supported Hold, or a move order for Supported Move

For a "Convoy" the "C" is followed by the move order issued to the Army.

If you need more help with the rules:

=====================================

These sites contain a easier to understand copy of the rules. With pictures which help.

http://ry4an.org/diptutor/mgp00001.html

http://www.diplom.org/~diparch/resources/r...s/2000AH4th.pdf

http://www.sff.net/people/jbailey/diplo.htp

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/aaj22/diplomacy/rules.html

Map ( Again )

post-9147-1220268074_thumbjpg

Before the game can get started I need between 2 - 7 people to put their name to the list with "Great Powers" in preference order. Only sign up if you are going to be active.

Great Powers: England ( Dark Blue) , Germany ( Black ) , Russia ( White) , Turkey ( Yellow ), Italy ( Green ) , France ( Light Blue ) , Austria ( Red )

1: example - Austria Germany Turkey Italy England France Russia

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

SP I have no long how long this game will take, also no idea how fast it will progress ( this is my first time hosting).

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Great idea Taliesin. Diplomacy is a fantastic game - a step up from Risk to a game which is very tactical and difficult to play well. It will be really interesting, as it's so hard to "read" people on here (as demonstrated by Mafia).

Would love to play but away on holiday for the next fortnight so no chance I'm afraid. Hope I can make it to the next one....(and maybe play Mafia one day too!)

Now, if only someone can come up with a way to play some of my other favourite games - Dover Patrol anyone?

Player List:

1. Slick ( Germany, Austria )

2. Frozen ( Russia )

3. peace*out ( Turkey, England )

4. GC

5. Blade ( Germany )

Come and Join!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

@Blade, you need a second choice too, as slick is going germany too.

Great idea Taliesin. Diplomacy is a fantastic game - a step up from Risk to a game which is very tactical and difficult to play well. It will be really interesting, as it's so hard to "read" people on here (as demonstrated by Mafia).

Would love to play but away on holiday for the next fortnight so no chance I'm afraid. Hope I can make it to the next one....(and maybe play Mafia one day too!)

Now, if only someone can come up with a way to play some of my other favourite games - Dover Patrol anyone?

Sure you can be in next time, Im asuming it wont take too much time to play. Depending on how it goes, If it is popular/fun I will hold another round. You should join, im sure someone whith exprience will be good for it.

What is this "Dover Patrol" game you are talking about?

I like those Brits. Maybe MI-6? :P

Player List:

2. Frozen ( Russia )

3. peace*out ( Turkey, England )

4. GC(England)

5. Blade ( Germany )

The other options later, if needed. ;)

How much longer shell We wait for signups?

I don't mind but, 2 of us can't have the same country.

2 more peeps and we go. Last call for game peeps. :D:D:D:D

We can start with 2 players down, however then there are 2 players which just sit and do nothing for you guys to attack.

The whole rank the countries in order, is to resolve that issue with two people wants the same country

We can start with 2 players down, however then there are 2 players which just sit and do nothing for you guys to attack.

The whole rank the countries in order, is to resolve that issue with two people wants the same country

So we can attack them and they do nothin?? I'm liking this!!

Russia taken

England taken

Italy....???

You need 2 countries

The countries are given out at random, so pick your preferense and cross your fingers.

2. Frozen ( Russia )

3. peace*out ( Turkey )

4. GC

5. Blade ( Germany, Serbia )

6. Surge ( Russia, England, Italy )

Well then i want Russia as well... tis my mother country

Scotland, England, Ireland, France..... ^_^

i'll stop there :lol:

2. Frozen ( Russia )

3. peace*out ( Turkey )

4. GC

5. Blade ( Germany, Russia, England, France )

like this?

2. Frozen ( Russia )

3. peace*out ( Turkey )

4. GC

5. Blade ( Germany, Russia, England, France )

like this?

One more person required, remember to tell all your friends! about it.. If no one else is interested Ill start eh game with only 6.. (itality is a no mans land)