BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Well, I have signed up the peace club, so I can’t kill any members, but…… I make someone else killed. :D

Here we go!

It was a summer break. Yoruichi-san, PG, Phaze, and Sinistral decided to go for a 2-days picnic at somewhere not far away from their Redrum University.

They rented a chalet which so happen, on the opposite to a chalet, rented by some of their next door classmates: Jennifer Jones, Caroline Carpenter, Paul Patrick, Steve Scott and Roger Robinson.

The 2 couples, after put their luggage in their room, immediately having fun at the river nearby. Soon, Jennifer, Caroline, Paul and Roger joined them.

“Jen, where is Steve?” asked PG, knowing that Jennifer is the girlfriend of Steve.

“He said he can’t join us the afternoon session. He is preparing a surprise for me,” said Jennifer with a sweet smile.

“Wow, nice to hear that. Couldn’t wait to see what it will be.” Said Y-san.

“I think he is behaving very secretive recently. He sometimes left his girlfriend with us but disappear himself in some weekends. “ said Paul.

“Could be preparing some nice stuff like diamond ring, huh, Jen? “ Caroline teased Jennifer.

“I agree with Paul, recently he used to speak some strange statement, like “What a pity”, “Why should I be the odd one here, and I can’t change it”, “None of you see that. You just don’t get it” and bla….bla.. bla…, all these are so depressing.” Roger said.

And the conversation, teasing on each other and playing at the riverside was going on for the whole afternoon. Of coarse everyone had once or more than once excuse themselves for being away alone for a while, either nature calls, other private things to do.

The late evening, 8 of them happily went back to their chalet. While Y-san and the other 3 resting at the living room, they heard yelling!

It is from the other chalet. They run quickly to there. Noticed Jen, Carol, Paul and Roger stood still with mixture of sad, fear, shock expression, but all towards one direction, the kitchen.

It is Steve. He is kind of sitting leaned against the refrigerator, with a pale but relieved face. His right hand is holding a dagger, which is still stuck on his abdomen. Blood flowed and painted his bottom half ans the floor red. He is dead.

“Ah…….Who could do this to Steve?” cried Jennifer.

“Roger, call the police! “ shouted Paul.

Roger quickly took out the cellphone and made a call. Caroline kept consoling Jennifer.

“Looks like he is busy himself to bake a cake,” said Phaze, after looking around the kitchen.

“It is for Jen,” said Caroline, can’t help herself with tears drop from her big blue eyes. “Jen like fruit cake!”

That’s true. Fruits were everywhere. On the desk, there are bunch of flour, eggs and fruits. So are at the floor, kiwi, grape, watermelon, and wait, and a lemon hold by Steve left hand, resting on an egg which is broken.

“He should follow us to the river!” Roger sighed. “By then he won’t have to be in this. Who could do this to him?”

“A robber? Or a series killer like TC that we read from news recently?” puzzled Caroline, as puzzled as PG could be.

“Steve…oh….steve….” sobbed Jennifer. Sit on a chair as her legs getting weaker and weaker.

“If let me know who the killer is…” Paul with his anger voice, and grasped him hand firmly.

The police came and surprisingly, with Inspector Slick!

“YS! It’s you again!” said Slick “Could I have any murder case where you are not at the site?”

Y-san, without any single word, just smiled to Slick.

“All right, stop putting your smiling face like you have known everything!”

“I didn’t know everything, Inspector Slick,” said Y-san.

“But based on what we heard,”

“and based on what we see,”, continued Sinistral.

“We know who the killer is.” Y-san and Sinistral answered simultaneously.

Question, who is the killer and how do Y-san and Sinistral knew? :o

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My Option is Jennifer. The Crime Scene appears like a suicide. But her question was pointing that this is a murder, before anyone commented.

==================================

Any flaws in my inference?

My Option is Jennifer. The Crime Scene appears like a suicide. But her question was pointing that this is a murder, before anyone commented.

Any flaws in my inference?

Welcome to brainden. A forum that has different levels and types of puzzle for members to solve (although recently hot type is murder case... :D )

We are suppose to use spoiler to hide our answer / guess so that other members can guess too.

Anyway, your answer is not correct. :D

I don't think real fruit are used to make a fruit cake. Atleast not a mixture of fruits. A Pie maybe.

Probably neither did the killer.

Back to the point. I think caroline seems to have a lot of information. Probably she was sweet on Steve and killed him as he was going to propose to Jen.

well, based on what I've heard...and what I've seen...

...was gay and had yet to "come out of the closet" to his friends. He was feeling depressed and mis-understood (hence his statements: “Why should I be the odd one here, and I can’t change it”, “None of you see that. You just don’t get it.”)

However, since their relationship had begun to grow more intense, Steve finally "outed" himself to Jennifer earlier that morning. Jennifer, of course did not take the news very well, murdered Steve and THEN set the scene to look like he was baking (hence why he had time to bleed-out.)

Perhaps even the fruit was planted as a hostile reference to his sexual bent??

If I'm wrong, I'm gonna have a lot of apologizing to do to the gay community! :D

I'd have to agree with Supandi. I've personally never heard of fruitcake containing Watermellon or Lemon, so it could have been Phaze trying to disguise what he did to Steve... but don't know why he'd add in the whole cake situation to be honest, couldn't figure that one out.

But in my opinion, I believe it was Caroline. She knew that Jennifer likes fruitcake, so after killing Steve (possibly because he was thinking of dumping or had cheated on Jennifer, Caroline's best friend) she tried to disguise the fact that he didn't like her by making it seem like he was baking a cake for Jennifer, and dropping in hints that he may have been preparing to propose to her, so Jennifer's feelings weren't hurt.

Is it Roger?

What Steve says about being "the odd man out" makes me think that Jen is having an affair with one of the other guys. That is probably who killed him.

I think the lemon is a clue to the murderer. Since Y-san is Japanese, and since there is no L sound is Japanese so the Japanese translate the L to R sound, maybe it is Roger?

For Karikal84, Supandi, PG, Brain.dead, Micker, New Quest, and not forgetting our lovely SKTC.

So allow me to continue the story:

Inspector Slick “Quiet YS, let me guess, is Jennifer. It is because this crime scene appears like a suicide. But her question was pointing that this is a murder, before anyone commented. Right?”

“Nope, Inspector Slick,” replied Y-san. “I said nope not about the killer identity but the way you figuring. Based on your way, I could also say that you are the killer because how did you know it was a murder when the moment you just step in here?”

“You…….,” Inspector Slick can’t continue any words, as he is so upset as like someone been killed on the first night of M4F14-7!

“I am joking, Inspector Slick. Don’t take it too hard. As one of the leader of Peace Club, I knew you won’t be the killer.”

“I bet you do think so.!” Inspector Slick continued, “So, what did you find?”

Phaze replied first, “Y-san, I think I am making a mistake here. I know I didn’t know how to bake a cake, but I hardly heard mix-fruit cake with watermelon and lemon, but when I said so, Caroline answered firmly that is the fruitcake for Jennifer. So did you mean Caroline is the killer?”

PG second, “I didn’t believe is Carol, she is too sweet to be a killer. Could it be Jen? Maybe Steve decide to turn his love to Carol, or maybe….one of the 2 male friends, but has let Jen knew it so she kill him?”

“I figure out who’s the killer not because of this reason.” Answered Y-san. “In fact, I don’t have the reason why the killer killed Steve. If I figured it out by reason, all of these 4 friends here (Jennifer, Caroline, Roger and Paul) and include 4 of us, equally have the doubts.”

“What doubt? There is no doubt!” a sudden voice break into the chalet, “It was me. No questions asked and no explanations... Just me!” Whoever don’t recognize this voice? It is belong to TC!!

“Inspector Slick! You bring the Series Killer TC along?” Y-san asked in an astonished exp​ression.

“Don’t worry. He is double-handcuffed on his wrists and triple-handcuffed on his legs and locked in the police car. We are on our way to send him to Juvenile center.” Answered Slick, the inspector and start getting impatient. “You continue your story!”

“OK, I cut it short. I knew what Steve is thinking as he is one of our smart BD Society member. He used to win in many rounds of “Which odd is out?” game. So this time, the moment he is stabbed he knew I can help him to catch the killer.”

Y-san take a very deep breath and continued

“So he leave us important clue!”

Is it Roger?

What Steve says about being "the odd man out" makes me think that Jen is having an affair with one of the other guys. That is probably who killed him.

I think the lemon is a clue to the murderer. Since Y-san is Japanese, and since there is no L sound is Japanese so the Japanese translate the L to R sound, maybe it is Roger?

Nice try, Wally West, about the right track but wrong person. Further more,

I believe Y-san could speak better english than I do. :P

For Karikal84, Supandi, PG, Brain.dead, Micker, New Quest, and not forgetting our lovely SKTC.

So allow me to continue the story:

Inspector Slick “Quiet YS, let me guess, is Jennifer. It is because this crime scene appears like a suicide. But her question was pointing that this is a murder, before anyone commented. Right?”

“Nope, Inspector Slick,” replied Y-san. “I said nope not about the killer identity but the way you figuring. Based on your way, I could also say that you are the killer because how did you know it was a murder when the moment you just step in here?”

“You…….,” Inspector Slick can’t continue any words, as he is so upset as like someone been killed on the first night of M4F14-7!

“I am joking, Inspector Slick. Don’t take it too hard. As one of the leader of Peace Club, I knew you won’t be the killer.”

“I bet you do think so.!” Inspector Slick continued, “So, what did you find?”

Phaze replied first, “Y-san, I think I am making a mistake here. I know I didn’t know how to bake a cake, but I hardly heard mix-fruit cake with watermelon and lemon, but when I said so, Caroline answered firmly that is the fruitcake for Jennifer. So did you mean Caroline is the killer?”

PG second, “I didn’t believe is Carol, she is too sweet to be a killer. Could it be Jen? Maybe Steve decide to turn his love to Carol, or maybe….one of the 2 male friends, but has let Jen knew it so she kill him?”

“I figure out who’s the killer not because of this reason.” Answered Y-san. “In fact, I don’t have the reason why the killer killed Steve. If I figured it out by reason, all of these 4 friends here (Jennifer, Caroline, Roger and Paul) and include 4 of us, equally have the doubts.”

“What doubt? There is no doubt!” a sudden voice break into the chalet, “It was me. No questions asked and no explanations... Just me!” Whoever don’t recognize this voice? It is belong to TC!!

“Inspector Slick! You bring the Series Killer TC along?” Y-san asked in an astonished exp​ression.

“Don’t worry. He is double-handcuffed on his wrists and triple-handcuffed on his legs and locked in the police car. We are on our way to send him to Juvenile center.” Answered Slick, the inspector and start getting impatient. “You continue your story!”

“OK, I cut it short. I knew what Steve is thinking as he is one of our smart BD Society member. He used to win in many rounds of “Which odd is out?” game. So this time, the moment he is stabbed he knew I can help him to catch the killer.”

Y-san take a very deep breath and continued

“So he leave us important clue!”

LOL...you have a great sense of humor...I love the part about TC...;P

You know I'm Houdini right? I broke out of the handcuffs and shackles, killed Steve by stabbing him, then got myself back in to the shackles before the guards even noticed! :ph34r:

Not only lemon, there are many things else on the floor.....

Okay so i was thinking of all the things that were on the floor (kiwi, grape, watermelon) plus the things by his hand (lemon and egg) and figuring which is that odd one out... I would have to say the grape is because it is circular and is usually founds in bunches whereas a kiwi, watermelon, and lemon are oval and not found in that way, the egg is also oval but is not considered a fruit. The words grape and egg both have g's in them much like Only Roger and PG have them. I am assuming PG is part of that "Peace Group" so I believe Roger killed Steve

:) just guessing...

Okay so i was thinking of all the things that were on the floor (kiwi, grape, watermelon) plus the things by his hand (lemon and egg) and figuring which is that odd one out... I would have to say the grape is because it is circular and is usually founds in bunches whereas a kiwi, watermelon, and lemon are oval and not found in that way, the egg is also oval but is not considered a fruit. The words grape and egg both have g's in them much like Only Roger and PG have them. I am assuming PG is part of that "Peace Group" so I believe Roger killed Steve
:) just guessing...

Good!

you have figured out the stuffs but nope, grape is not the one. Beside figuring out the odd one among this stuff, you must figure what's the odd one that Steve is talking about.

Good!

you have figured out the stuffs but nope, grape is not the one. Beside figuring out the odd one among this stuff, you must figure what's the odd one that Steve is talking about.

Okay so Steve felt like he was the odd one because of his name... all others had vowels for second letters where he had consonants which happened to be T and C (sTeve sCott) the only fruit that did not have a vowel as the second letter was gRape, there's an R therefore TC and Roger worked together in killing Steve... TC was already a killer and you could tell Roger was getting annoyed with Steve saying that he was very depressing... if this isn't it then I don't get it

-_-

Okay so Steve felt like he was the odd one because of his name... all others had vowels for second letters where he had consonants which happened to be T and C (sTeve sCott) the only fruit that did not have a vowel as the second letter was gRape, there's an R therefore TC and Roger worked together in killing Steve... TC was already a killer and you could tell Roger was getting annoyed with Steve saying that he was very depressing... if this isn't it then I don't get it
-_-

Wow! I didn't come across that. Good finding but this is not what Yoruichi-san found.

Yoruchi-san said "Besides what Roger have talked about Steve'statement, I did hear Steve mentioned before "A little bit change, then I am the biggest in the group", so do you think this statement is beneficial for us, inspector Slick?"

Wow! I didn't come across that. Good finding but this is not what Yoruichi-san found.

Yoruchi-san said "Besides what Roger have talked about Steve'statement, I did hear Steve mentioned before "A little bit change, then I am the biggest in the group", so do you think this statement is beneficial for us, inspector Slick?"

Okay so I have no idea when Y-san said that, but like I said if my last answer wasn't it then I don't get it, but I think it was a good answer and could be right according to the first posted murder story. Isn't that how one should figure out a puzzle? According to the first posting of the story not according to all the additions and dialogue not mentioned in the story? I feel like my answer could be correct, but whatever it's a great and tough puzzle and I had fun :)

Okay so I have no idea when Y-san said that, but like I said if my last answer wasn't it then I don't get it, but I think it was a good answer and could be right according to the first posted murder story. Isn't that how one should figure out a puzzle? According to the first posting of the story not according to all the additions and dialogue not mentioned in the story? I feel like my answer could be correct, but whatever it's a great and tough puzzle and I had fun :)

I have to admit I am a poor story/puzzle writter and hence create much confussion as such. But if you mean you based on the very original of the story, the TC hasn't come in yet. Still your guess of TC is the killer is not explanable, and also something is not explanable too.

The additional Y-san statement is considered as hints like other post when after a while members not able to figure out then the owner provide more hints. Not other information that missed out at the initial part.

But as I said, I am very appreciated you for pointing out the odd one that I missed. That's help me to write better one next time. :D

Very soon I will put your answer in the next hint, of corse in the story way. And you may find where the unexplanabe part is.

thank you, sweetness kat. Btw, I like your avatar too.