BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

After his mysterious disappearance from Affinion 7 in M4F14, Y-san and PG decided to pay a visit to Bb to make sure he was alright. PG had also conceded to bake some of her famous vote winning brownies to bring along. Bb lived in an all-male house, and when two cute girls bearing brownies arrived, they were immediately swarmed by his house-mates.

After a few minutes the girls somehow managed to extract themselves. "Where is Bb?" asked PG, holding what remained of the brownies high over her head.

Bb's roommate replied "Oh, he's upstairs, studying in the library room." the roommate frowned. "Actually, he's been in there for awhile...I wonder if somethings wrong?"

The roommate led the way up the stairs and down the hall to the library room. The door was closed and the roommate knocked and then turned the doorknob.

Suddenly, they heard a shout from inside. "Don't come in!"

With an alarmed look on his face, the roommate flung over the door. There was a crash in the dark room followed by choking sounds. The roommate stumbled and fell on the ground.

Y-san felt along the side of the room until she found the light switch. Turning on the lights, she saw Bb's body dangling from a rope in the middle of the room. She yelled for help as she hurried towards him. Immediately some of the other housemates came to help cut him down, but they were too late, he was dead.

The floor was strewn with books. At one the side of the room, there was a desk. On the other side of the room there were two bookshelves. In the middle of the room, there was a stool by where the body had hung. One of it's legs had broken off. "Wow," commented PG, "I guess he was really depressed about getting killed off in M4F14..."

"No," Y-san interrupted. "This wasn't suicide, it was murder."

Later on, the law which Bb had devoted himself to convicted his murderer.

Preliminary thoughts... from the dead guy :P

I'm assuming that Y-san knew that Brandonb had been murdered because his arms had been bound in some way and the missing leg was found at an unusually distant location. The room was rigged by the roommate. There's no telling how long BrandonB had been there, the thing was, he was immobilized, with a rope around his neck and standing on top of a stool.

The leg of the stool was tied to a string, which was run through a short pulley system (possibly utilizing the bookcase or the underside of the desk) and then connected to the door handle. So that when the door was flung open, it pulled the leg off the stool (maybe only meaning to pull out the stool itself). Then when the roommate 'stumbled' and fell to the ground he was actually detaching the string from the door before the lights were turned on.

I think that about covers it.

Preliminary thoughts... from the dead guy :P

I'm assuming that Y-san knew that Brandonb had been murdered because his arms had been bound in some way and the missing leg was found at an unusually distant location. The room was rigged by the roommate. There's no telling how long BrandonB had been there, the thing was, he was immobilized, with a rope around his neck and standing on top of a stool.

The leg of the stool was tied to a string, which was run through a short pulley system (possibly utilizing the bookcase or the underside of the desk) and then connected to the door handle. So that when the door was flung open, it pulled the leg off the stool (maybe only meaning to pull out the stool itself). Then when the roommate 'stumbled' and fell to the ground he was actually detaching the string from the door before the lights were turned on.

I think that about covers it.

Nope, there was nothing in the room that I didn't write about...

The stool should have been used for accessing the books that were placed higher on the bookshelves. My guess is Brandon had been dead for a while. The stool's leg had been broken much earlier and the whole scene was a setup. The roommate had a mini-recorder or something which was activated by turning the doorknob. :P

Weren't there any chairs for sitting?

The stool should have been used for accessing the books that were placed higher on the bookshelves. My guess is Brandon had been dead for a while. The stool's leg had been broken much earlier and the whole scene was a setup. The roommate had a mini-recorder or something which was activated by turning the doorknob. :P

Weren't there any chairs for sitting?

No, there was no mini-recorder, like I said, nothing in the room that wasn't stated in the problem...(besides, like, air, of course)

We make a great crime-solving team, don't we Y-san? ....But it is kind of creepy how we just "happen" upon all of these murders. Perhaps we are the serial killers, eh??

................................................................Nah, we're too cute to be killers. :D

I'm thinking that Bb's killer rigged him up so that he was on the stool with the rope around his neck...standing on his tip-toes. The stool leg had been busted off before the murder and the stool was balanced ever-so-delicately by a stack of books where the fourth leg should have been. The killer placed another book just inside the door in such a way that when someone pushed the door open, it would slide the book across the floor to knock the stool off-balance...hanging Bb.

So I take it we are trying to figure out who killed him?

How do you write these so fast?

because she is very creative and can type with 10 fingers, not like me ... I hate to type ...lol

We make a great crime-solving team, don't we Y-san? ....But it is kind of creepy how we just "happen" upon all of these murders. Perhaps we are the serial killers, eh??

................................................................Nah, we're too cute to be killers. :D

I'm thinking that Bb's killer rigged him up so that he was on the stool with the rope around his neck...standing on his tip-toes. The stool leg had been busted off before the murder and the stool was balanced ever-so-delicately by a stack of books where the fourth leg should have been. The killer placed another book just inside the door in such a way that when someone pushed the door open, it would slide the book across the floor to knock the stool off-balance...hanging Bb.

Oooh...very good, partner! You're very close...

Bb (back from the grave) was right about the stumble being not accidental...;P

I really liked the part about 2 cute girls bearing brownies! Why does that kind of thing never happen to me? (Glad to see Bb back from the grave - was he too choked up to eat?)

Does the mention of a desk on one side of the room and 2 shelves on the other have any bearing? Other than the rope. the broken stool and stack of books, was there anything else that is relevant?

I really liked the part about 2 cute girls bearing brownies! Why does that kind of thing never happen to me? (Glad to see Bb back from the grave - was he too choked up to eat?)

Does the mention of a desk on one side of the room and 2 shelves on the other have any bearing? Other than the rope. the broken stool and stack of books, was there anything else that is relevant?

Lol...if I told you what was relevant, that would basically be telling you the answer...:P

hmmm...

The stool was on 4 stacks of tall books... books were set up in a line so that when the door opend it toppled one of the stacks... which droped the stool killing BB

Or...

the room mate set up the contraption with one book next to the door and if he hit it hard enough the book would move across the room and knock over a pile of books... kicking out the stool...

good thing you died... and y-san... were my guesses correct? you never answered them...

Lol well technically I never died cause you died like a week before you posted that so it didn't count!

no... a ninja is a beast... which means you are defiantly not one...

Ok whatever...

So we've figured out that the roommate definitely did it.

Are we just a little way away from figuring out how?