BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

It has bugged me for many a year, that worth, worthy and worthiness have a meaning that is at the other end of the spectrum to 'worthless'.

Is it worth less or of less worth? Actually it's of no worth! Does it not seem wrong to put -less on the end instead of using unworthy, or unworth?

just my pet hate where worthless is far far far far far..... less than just worth less

So any one want to deal with worthlessness - seriously, that is a word that I couldn't care less about - it's as bad as listening to yourself say crisps - always seems to sound like crisps's

Too bad I never had english in my grammar school due to the dysfunctional educational shake-ups. I go to bed bugged on this - tough eh! Time to straighten out the english language.

edit to add.....

... so what is priceless????

Edited by Lost in space

5 answers to this question

It has bugged me for many a year, that worth, worthy and worthiness have a meaning that is at the other end of the spectrum to 'worthless'.

Is it worth less or of less worth? Actually it's of no worth! Does it not seem wrong to put -less on the end instead of using unworthy, or unworth?

just my pet hate where worthless is far far far far far..... less than just worth less

So any one want to deal with worthlessness - seriously, that is a word that I couldn't care less about - it's as bad as listening to yourself say crisps - always seems to sound like crisps's

Too bad I never had english in my grammar school due to the dysfunctional educational shake-ups. I go to bed bugged on this - tough eh! Time to straighten out the english language.

edit to add.....

... so what is priceless????

Without a dictionary, I can tell you priceless is so very expensive that you cannot put a price on it. Kind of like the country I live in.

Also, I can tell you that worthlessness is of a kind of something with zero value. Go to wiki for more. :D

bottom line...

Worthless = 0 value

Priceless = infinity value (very very expensive anyway)

How can that be ?

The language is full of quirks. That is like the word pricey= high priced. Some words are slang. That word ain't is now a word. Who would of thunk it? :lol:

Worthless is unable to be priced for to low of a rating. It is just the opposite for priceless.

Don't look at me. I only learned with the others. This began in England. Not Americans fault. :lol:

The language is full of quirks. That is like the word pricey= high priced. Some words are slang. That word ain't is now a word. Who would of thunk it? :lol:

Worthless is unable to be priced for to low of a rating. It is just the opposite for priceless.

Don't look at me. I only learned with the others. This began in England. Not Americans fault. :lol:

Lol it's not "Who would of thunk it..."

It's "Whoda thunk it?"

That's coming from someone that used to live in Alabama too...

Yeah! Freakin English folk! Why'd you have to screw up our language!?

Lol Just kidding English people on this forum!

Lol it's not "Who would of thunk it..."

It's "Whoda thunk it?"

That's coming from someone that used to live in Alabama too...

Yeah! Freakin English folk! Why'd you have to screw up our language!?

Lol Just kidding English people on this forum!

it's the language of the english: they can do whatever they want with it. If anything, you yanks messed up their language.

LOL just kidding American people on this forum!

one thing that bugs me: when people say "literally" when it's not really "literal"